menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Switzerland has now an IGP for "absinthe".
Green Baron
post Apr 1 2010, 02:10 AM
Post #16

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3093

Champaign's a bit of a different case. The very name refers to an actual region- it makes a lot more sense when the name refers to a geographic origin.

I payed a visit to the good ol' Wikipedium-
Through international treaty, national law or quality-control/consumer protection related local regulations, most countries limit the use of the term to only those wines that come from the Champagne appellation. In Europe, this principle is enshrined in the European Union by Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) status. Other countries, such as the United States, have recognized the exclusive nature of this name, yet maintain a legal structure that allows certain domestic producers of sparkling wine to continue to use the term "champagne" under limited circumstances.

Another example would be Roquefort cheese, the recipient of France's first Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée in 1925 (Roquefort is also a geographical location).

Absinthe on the other hand refers to a plant, and a beverage that was historically produced outside of VdT for more than a hundred years. "La Bleue" I could see maaaaybe. To appropriate "absinthe", and the term "Fee Verte"*, is just plain fucking stupid and overreaching.

It would be like Ireland trying to do that with the term "whiskey". Oh how the world would laugh. The term "Irish whiskey" on the other hand is a different ball of wax.

*Wasn't that term was started in France in the first place? I dunno.

--------------------
Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!
"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence…"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Apr 1 2010, 07:23 AM
Post #17

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 44

That's EXACTLY it! They want to register a plant name as a IGP. So basically they have to rename the Val de Travers to Val d'Absinthe. Than all this would make sense…
+Quote Post
absinthist
post Apr 1 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #18

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

Registering a plant that grows EVERYWHERE and in many a case is of better quality than in Switzerland (as a matter of fact, I have seen good wormwood only at Matter's, Bugnon's and Gaudentia's) is completely nuts.

Registering "la bleue" is ol korekt since the rest of world can make "la blanche", but two other names…

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Marc
post Apr 1 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #19

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

QUOTE(Esseintes @ Mar 31 2010, 03:34 PM) *

The IGP is not yet rectified - it takes 3 months and we'll do our best to fight against this stupidity! We all know Absinthe was born in Couvet, but was also produced outside the VdT in Switzerland. Also some other requirements for an IGP are not given.

That's correct. Thanks for the correction Markus.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Apr 1 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #20

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

QUOTE(Green Baron @ Mar 31 2010, 10:10 PM) *

Champaign's a bit of a different case. The very name refers to an actual region- it makes a lot more sense when the name refers to a geographic origin.

It may very well make a lot more sense, but the bottom line is, is it impossible to duplicate outside that region? If the answer is no, then it's just bullshit snobbery by people who are afraid that their product isn't good enough to survive competition.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Apr 1 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #21

Keeper Of The Imp

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 12

QUOTE(Stroller @ Mar 31 2010, 04:05 PM) *

Interesting that their "A" logo resembles a major award™. winnie.gif

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Apr 1 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #22

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

Ha!

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
Green Baron
post Apr 1 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #23

Absinthusiast

This isn't an elaborate April Fools joke is it? It's definitely ridiculous enough to be…

--------------------
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 2 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #24

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

I have no ill will for any of the VdT producers because of this, and certainly would never boycott any of their products. They are all extremely nice and generous people. While I don't agree with the IGP, I can understand why they want a special designation for absinthe produced in the historic birthplace. At least it's not an AOC - Nico wears his Absinthe AOC t-shirt every year at Boveresse. And I actually like the definitions in the cahier des charges; too bad there is not a universal definition like this (without the geographic requirements of the IGP); it would eliminate some of the crap being labelled (in some way) as absinthe.

So, can producers in other parts of Switzerland label their products euphemistically as in "extraits aux plantes d'absinthe" etc.? It's hard to believe they would be completely prohibited from using the name of one of the ingredients in some way.

+Quote Post
absinthist
post Apr 2 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #25

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

No IGP-in that form it is, respectively, but AOC for each region and/or producer could solve some problems.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Zman
post May 27 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #26

Marc Bernhard

Member No.: 54

I can't believe that Oxy hasn't talked about this here yet.
This is NOT good news for absinthe as a whole.
http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6064
I'm sending my Euros in.

--------------------
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
G.K. Chesterton

www.pacificdistillery.com
Makers of Voyager Single-Batch Distilled Gin and Pacifique Absinthe.
+Quote Post
G&C
post May 28 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #27

Still Master

Member No.: 282

The error returned was:
Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post May 28 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #28

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

Yeah, aint' workin.
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 28 2010, 01:30 AM
Post #29

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

For some reason you have to log in to see the discussion. I know this is not possible for some. The link works fine if you log in to WWS.

I had no idea this could affect absinthe producers outside Switzerland, i.e. in the E.U and even the U.S.! Damn! This is bad, bad, bad…
+Quote Post
Green Baron
post May 28 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #30

Absinthusiast

May 23, 2010

Dear Absinthe Producer,

On March 31, 2010, the Swiss Interprofession filed for an IGP (Indication de Provenance Géographique) for the Val-de-Travers that specifically and independently protects not only the words the words "La Bleue", but also "Absinthe"and "Fée Verte".

Switzerland and the European Union are bound by several treaties, including the Agreement on Exchange of Agricultural Products dated April 30, 2002, and in particular, Appendix 8 relating to Wines and Spirits. As a result, E.U. producers will soon no longer be able to use the word "absinthe" as a product description. It's likely that this restriction would be extended to US producers (and in practice distributors) as well.

We strongly feel this action is inappropriate, as the word "absinthe" itself refers to a plant, and a type of liquor historically derived from it. The term "absinthe" does not refer to a specific region of Switzerland, nor does it imply that absinthe cannot be produced outside of the Val-de-Travers, as history proves that absinthe (including absinthe of the highest quality) was and is produced in other countries, including France, Spain, Portugal, the Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, the USA and others. From the Belle Epoque through the present day, the Val de Travers has in fact accounted for only a tiny fraction of worldwide absinthe production, and in the modern era only an infinitesimally small fraction of green absinthe production.

Our legal counsel has indicated this IGP will be approved unless swift action is taken to oppose it within 90 days of the filing date, which is less than 30 days from the time this letter was written.

The consequences of this IGP being adopted unmodified will be catastrophic for absinthe producers outside the Val de Travers, and also for those companies in Europe and the US which distribute and sell non-Val de Travers absinthes.

There is some local opposition to the IGP in Switzerland itself from absinthe producers outside the Val de Travers, but if this is successful it may simply lead to the IGP being modified to include all Switzerland - no use at all to producers elsewhere. What is needed is urgent and concerted action from producers and distributors worldwide to stop this historical and geographic travesty in its tracks.

We are writing this letter to request your urgent support to fight this action. Without adequate support, E.U. producers will no longer be free to use terms like "Absinthe" and "Fée Verte". Our legal counsel is confident that the Swiss petition can be defeated, but there is no time for delay.

You may be aware that this legal team successfully overturned the French decree on fenchone and pinocamphone recently, and we have complete confidence in their professionalism and ability to defeat this matter.

We are asking for your participation, which is requested in the amount of one thousand Euros (€ 1.000,00). Your contribution will provide the support we need to fight this petition, and no more will be asked of you. The money will go directly to the account of the legal team, who have agreed to undertake this work at a substantially reduced tariff. Any surplus funds received will be returned by them to the donors on a pro-rata basis.

Please forward payment directly to NIXON PEABODY, our legal representatives at the coordinates below, reference the phrase "ABSINTHE IGP" together with your name and business when making payment, and inform us of your payment via email. Please advise if you have any questions, but please do so quickly, as we have less than 30 days to respond.

The clock is ticking, and time is running out. If everyone sits on their hands and hopes for the best, the IGP will be approved. We must act now, with the greatest urgency to stop this. Please join this urgent campaign immediately.

Sincerely,

Ted A. Breaux tabreaux@gmail.com
David Nathan-Maister david@oxygenee.com

Legal Counsel:

Legal Counsel:
Arnaud de Senilhes
Avocat à la Cour Associé
Managing Partner
NIXON PEABODY
32, rue de Monceau
75008 Paris, France
+33 (0) 170723600
adesenilhes@nixonpeabody.com

Nixon Peabody International, LLP
Crédit Agricole de d'Ile-de'France
Bank Code – 18206
Guichet Code – 00432
Account – 60235222423
IBAN – FR76 1820 6004 3260 2352 2242 332
BIC – AGRIFRPP882

Publication de la demande d'IGP pour l'Absinthe,la Fée verte et La Bleue
Berne, 31.03.2010

L'Office fédéral de l'agriculture publie aujourd'hui dans la Feuille officielle suisse du commerce, la demande d'enregistrement en indication géographique protégée (IGP) des dénominations «Absinthe», «Fée verte» et «La Bleue» .

Les trois dénominations désignent un seul et même produit, une boisson spiritueuse élaborée à partir d'alcool éthylique d'origine agricole, d'eau et d'un mélange spécifique de plantes. Leur enregistrement comme IGP a notamment pour objectif d'éviter les imitations et usurpations et de protéger tant la renommée que l'originalité du produit. La zone géographique de transformation est le district du Val-de-Travers dans le canton de Neuchâtel .

Né dans le Val-de-Travers à la fin du XVIIIe siècle, ce produit a rapidement connu un succès important, qui a contribué au développement économique de cette région. Au-delà de sa valeur gustative intrinsèque, ce produit doit également sa notoriété à plusieurs autres éléments, notamment aux rites complexes qui accompagnent sa dégustation ainsi qu'à la passion qu'ont suscité ses supposés vertus et méfaits. Même la période de prohibition, qui a duré de 1910 à 2005, n'a pas suffi à étouffer le lien unissant ce produit avec son terroir du Val-de-Travers. La réputation de l'Absinthe n'a cessé de croître, au gré de son histoire mouvementée et des mythes qui l'entourent .

Le registre des appellations d'origine ou des indications géographiques permet de protéger les noms géographiques ou traditionnels désignant des produits agricoles et des produits agricoles transformés dont l'identité et les principales caractéristiques sont déterminées par leur origine géographique. Lorsqu'un nom est protégé, son utilisation est réservée aux producteurs de l'aire géographique définie, pour autant que ceux-ci respectent un cahier des charges précis. La publication des demandes d'enregistrement est soumise à une enquête publique. Toute personne justifiant d'un intérêt ainsi que les cantons peuvent s'opposer à l'enregistrement pendant un délai de trois mois .

Le registre fédéral des appellations d'origine et indications géographiques compte actuellement 27 enregistrements: 19 AOC et 8 IGP. La documentation est disponible sous www.blw.admin.ch (Thèmes > Production et ventes > Désignation des produits et promotion des ventes > Appellations d'origine) .

Google translation (with a little fixing up):

Publication of the application for PGI Absinthe, the Green Fairy and The Blue
Berne, 3-31-2010

The Federal Office of Agriculture published today in the Swiss Official Gazette of Commerce, the application for registration of protected geographical indication (PGI) of the names "Absinthe", "Fée Verte" and "La Bleue".

The three names designate a single product, a spirit drink produced from ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin, water and a mixture of specific plants. Their recording as PGI's objectives is to avoid imitation and theft and to protect the reputation as the original product. The geographical area of transformation is the district of Val-de-Travers in the canton of Neuchatel.

Born in Val-de-Travers in the late eighteenth century, this product has quickly gained an important success that has contributed to economic development in this region. Beyond its intrinsic flavor characteristics, this product also owes its fame to several factors, including the complex rituals that accompany the tasting and the passion that prompted its supposed virtues and evils. Even the period of prohibition, which lasted from 1910 to 2005, was not enough to stifle the link between the product and its terroir of Val-de-Travers. Absinthe's reputation has grown steadily, according to her turbulent history and myths surrounding it.

The register of appellations of origin or geographical indications can protect geographical or traditional designating agricultural products and processed agricultural products whose identity and key characteristics are determined by their geographical origin. When a name is protected, its use is limited to producers of the defined geographical area, provided that they meet a set of specifications. The publication of applications for registration shall be subject to a public inquiry. Any person with a legitimate interest and the townships may oppose the registration for a period of three months.

The federal register of protected designations of origin and geographical indications currently records 27 registrations: 19 AOC and 8 IPG. The documentation is available at: www.blw.admin.ch (Themes> Production and Sales> Description of products and sales promotion> Appellations of Origin).

--------------------
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 08:15 PM