menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Switzerland has now an IGP for "absinthe".
Green Baron
post May 28 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #31

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3093

Like I said, steaming crock of bullshit. I'm sure they're all real nice fuckin' people though.

--------------------
Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!
"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence…"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post May 28 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #32

Alethiometer

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 51

Who exactly is behind this? Is it Bugnon? He seems like he wouldn't give a fuck about such an obnoxious lawyerly endeavor, but I'm just curious who is behind it so I can make sure to never buy anything they make.

How funny is it that the damned Swiss were the first ones to ban the drink and are largely responsible for the sullying of its reputation that has persisted for a century, and it took a lot of legal effort to get them to recently un-ban it, but now they are suddenly the sole fountain from which anything named absinthe can flow and the heroic protectors of absinthe's name? What assholes!

What's next? Ford motor company prohibiting everyone else from calling any 4 wheeled vehicle a "Car" or "Automobile" if it wasn't made in Detroit?
+Quote Post
Aggelos
post May 28 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #33

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3821

Or descendants of Aztecs prohibiting "Chocolate" if it does not come from Tenochtitlan
+Quote Post
absinthist
post May 28 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #34

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

That producer ever since has been very strongly for using anything only from Vals-de-Travers, including wormwood plant itself:

en utilisant dans un futur le moins lointain possible de l’authentique grande absinthe (Artemisia Absinthium), cultivée comme jadis au Val-deTravers même et non en Allemagne, en Pologne ou ailleurs.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post May 28 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #35

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

That's worse than a cunt full of cold piss. What a bunch of low life, scum bag, rent seeking gangsters.
Who are the people responsible for pushing this and who supports it?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post May 28 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #36

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

Sig updated.

Thanks, Kirk!

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
martin.zufanek
post May 28 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #37

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3332

It's kinda funny. Swiss were the ones who banned absinthe and unbanned it just five years ago. And now few local absinthe producers from area not bigger than 88km2 wants to protect it? Oh, c'mon…
+Quote Post
sixela
post May 28 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #38

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ May 28 2010, 12:58 PM) *

Who exactly is behind this? Is it Bugnon? He seems like he wouldn't give a fuck about such an obnoxious lawyerly endeavor,

From knowing him, he would probably not give a fuck, but he'd probably not stop it either.

But it's hard to know, because the VdT people do have a chauvinistic (and usually harmless and almost charming) streak. And not only towards "foreigners", because you couldn't believe how much fuss they made about becoming only *one* municipality in 2009 (whilst everyone knows that someone from Môtier is obviously not to be confused with someone from Boveresse. After all, Boveresse is slightly more than a stone's throw away from Môtiers and walking from here to there takes at least five minutes).

To be honest, I can understand why they'd want to protect the name "la Bleue", which is clearly linked to geography.

Who got the "brilliant" idea to go overboard and also claim "la Fée Verte" (who isn't even green in the Val de Travers) and above all "absinthe" is a mystery to me.

If it were the French I'd be ready to blame Guy François, but he's on the other side of the fence.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post May 28 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #39

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

If it weren't for the fact that Ted Breaux's name appears on the letter, I would think he was helping with it.
I don't know how he feels today, but not long ago he told me absinthe, true absinthe, can only be made in a small geographical area. At the time, he said absinthe could not be made in the US, or anywhere else outside this small area.
Could it be that Ted supports the spirit of this idea of owning the name "absinthe" but not the specific locations?
Maybe in the future I will be a "distilled fennel with wormwoodist or teur. I don't care what they call it but I hate red tape.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Provenance
post May 28 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #40

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 29 2010, 05:59 AM) *

In short, if you have a passion for crafting and/or consuming quality absinthe, you will not find increased government involvement to be beneficial.

QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 29 2010, 07:52 AM) *

creates a new opportunity to screw over small producers.

QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 30 2010, 06:46 AM) *

It looks like absinthe drinkers are going to have to get involved to protect a developing diverse market from being taken over by rent-seekers trying to limit competition.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
absinthist
post May 28 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #41

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

QUOTE(Kirk @ May 28 2010, 07:06 AM) *

I don't know how he feels today, but not long ago he told me absinthe, true absinthe, can only be made in a small geographical area. At the time, he said absinthe could not be made in the US, or anywhere else outside this small area.

In here:

Q. Are you planning on distilling here in the US. If so, when? If not, why not? What's coming next from you to the US?
A. I cannot do what I do from within the U.S., simply because the materials I need are non-existent there. Likewise, just as cognac, armagnac, champagne and calvados are traditionally French, absinthe is inherently of Franco-Swiss origin, and the tradition of absinthe is very much alive in its own birthplace.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post May 28 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #42

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

I guess I can kind of see business-type fucks making this kind of move. Artisans and craft people much less so. But the logic of the terms they're trying to usurp for their personal use just doesn't jibe with a geographical protection. And that's fucked up.

I'd welcome Oxy and/or Ted weighing in here, but somehow I think that's unlikely. Are any of the VdT distillers on the French forum? Any shit hitting the fan there?

For what it's worth, it doesn't seem appropriate or legally defensible that the term absinthe could be reserved for product coming only from the VdT. On the other hand, and this is only my own personal opinion, if a product distilled outside that region were tasty enough I'd probably buy it even if the official category designation was "licorice tasting crap".

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post May 28 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #43

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

While it is very true that specific locales produce herbs that are different in character and usefulness than other locales, that is a biological distinction and ultimately reduces to the discretion of the maker of the product, and as such cannot become a global edict forced down anyone else's throat. Is that Pontarlier Wormwood uniquely special? Hell yeah. But then Combier doesn't use it in Ted's Blanchette anymore, so I guess it can't be that special. Also note that Ted's product is intended to be a recreation of a long defunct regional brand and so in order to approach any modicum of accuracy, he is required to source his botanicals from a much more narrowly defined geographical region than others who wish to make quality absinthe. Other makers have not narrowly defined their product within those regional parameters, and that's perfectly fine too, it's certainly still "absinthe".

"Absinthe" was never named for a specific region anyway, so in my opinion it's a different argument than argument over Bordeaux wine, etcetera, as the market for those products have historical precedent for being built around their regional origins, which absolutely can make a big difference in the product. Note that nobody in Bordeaux is saying that only their product can be called wine. As elitist as the producers may be, they at least have the sense to acknowledge their product is a VARIETY of wine, not the exclusive definition of the word. This action by the Swiss, on the contrary, is just pure foolishness and anti-competitive.

I think this pathetic effort by whoever is behind it will backfire. If I can walk into my grocery store and buy "Swiss Cheese" from Wisconsin, then I don't think any of us have to worry about not being able to buy "Absinthe" unless it's from some 10 mile wide region in one of the most xenophobic countries on earth. Unfortunately though because they have initiated legal action, then it will require some money to stop their ill-conceived action. Lawyers always have ingenious methods of generating and perpetuating income….
+Quote Post
Provenance
post May 28 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #44

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

I can attest, as can others, that superb quality absinthe, genuine and authentic as it gets, has been distilled in the US.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post May 28 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #45

Remembering all my Imps

Member No.: 12

Attached Image……..a list of new recipients coming on for a Major Award. winnie.gif

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 07:59 PM