Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question to FV, -- not sure if this is the right place to post this topic --
mgs
post Apr 13 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3857

Can someone please explain me the differences and similarities of the forums in La Fée Verte and WS ?

I observed that there are some common people in both…….. The web-site programing is very similar, although I learned that FV has been around for longer…

There are a few topics in La Fée verte that we don't have in WS and vice-versa….

I also observed that in La Fée Verte people like to be more anonymous than in WS……. it would be interesting to understand why….

I also understand that diversity is always better, but would not be interesting to merge both forums ?

- Marcelo

PS: I posted a similar discussion in WS…… but I thought would be also interesting to get your perspective here… guillotine.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Apr 13 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

This is an open forum where you can say anything you choose. Though you may have to bear the consequences, you will not be banned.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Apr 13 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #3

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

The essence of WS is explained here http://www.louchedlounge.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5546

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Apr 13 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Which is not to say that that link explains the essence of the Lounge. While the essence of FV is that it is essential. From which you may accurately conclude that WS is merely an accident.

A tragic accident.

Philosophically speaking.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
mgs
post Apr 13 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

if I can say whatever I want and not be banned it is something that I like.

I grew up in a military dictatorship in Brazil…. and went to the streets in 1984 (Diretas Já) to support democratic elections for president……… now Brazil is a democracy, but I lived there during bad times…..

so, I like the spirit that we can say what we think.

and I am open to any criticism. Dialogue is what constructs the world.

speak_n_spell.gif

Cheers,

- Marcelo
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Apr 13 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #6

Vaginafly trap

I'm close to some people with experience of growing up under a Communist regime. Censorship is a black hole that goes against the very nature of human endeavors. Of course, the freedom to say whatever you want also carries its own consequences. Everybody around you is also free to comment on your words, ideas and opinions. Some of it can hurt. But even that pain can point out that you're free and alive and, yes, even able to fuck up and shout about it. Cacophony is sometimes just a joyous celebration of life and freedom.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Apr 13 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #7

Absinthe Mafia

Cacophony beats the heck out of phony caca!

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
eric
post Apr 13 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #8

Instrument of God's will

Member No.: 27

Word!

--------------------
Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
+Quote Post
Shabba53
post Apr 15 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 2181

QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Apr 13 2010, 06:18 PM) *

Cacophony

That's fine. But it's also the reason why this place is deserted and why the press avoids this place like the plague. It's been a pretty quiet cacophony over the past year or two. One would have expected the opposite, since absinthe has been in the public eye during the same time frame.

If your intent is to create that type of atmosphere, s'all good. I enjoy this place for what it is, and I enjoy the WS for what it is.

There's a difference between asking for a modicum of civility in order to create credibility and a welcoming atmosphere for strangers or researchers, and a military dictatorship.

My intent isn't to offend by posting this. It's to show the reality of the situation. Again, I like both places. I have fun in both places. But as mentioned, there are consequences for certain behaviors. Some, such as the flight of many active members here, might be unintended. But it happened.
+Quote Post
mgs
post Apr 15 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #10

Absinthusiast

QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Apr 15 2010, 07:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Apr 13 2010, 06:18 PM) *

Cacophony

… it's also the reason why this place is deserted…..

although I am a newcomer in both WS and FV, that is what I feel….. FV has many interesting posted topics, but seems a desert…..

I am not familiar to "forums"… this is my first experience in subscribing a forum. The only reason I subscribed was to learn about absinthe, since nobody in my immediate friendship knows or understand anything. Since "everything is on the Internet" I decided to subscribe to both WS and FV.

Of course I smell past problems that might involve people in WS and FV. I don't care because I am new here and there. And I learned folks, that "future is the next minute"…….. live with this in mind and you will have a better life ---- own experience.

SAÚDE.

- mgs
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Apr 15 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #11

Absinthe Mafia

Open society always has its dangers but at least people can feel free to speak without fearing the judgment of an all-powerful dictatorship. FV and Oxy's site are by far the best source of information on absinthe - the forum is an adjunct to that and not central to accessing that information. Many of those without whom absinthe would still be a historic aberration have historic attachments to this place and not a few of the best have incurred the wrath of Hiram and been banned from WS. Provenance's post shows the danger of that model when an innocent person wandered in only to accidentally tweak the Master's paranoia and be mistaken for Kirk (who apparently has been preemptively exiled from where he hasn't gone) and banned outright.

Sad, really.

The Press can go where they choose. The information is here but no-one is going out of their way to seek publicity for themselves.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Shabba53
post Apr 15 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Elitist Bastard

QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Apr 15 2010, 10:49 AM) *
the forum is an adjunct to that and not central to accessing that information.

Very true, but it's also associated with FV. And brings its reputation to the rest of the site.

We aren't trying to seek attention for ourselves. We're trying to educate the public. And doing a damn fine job of it. The information might be here, but people don't want to deal with everything else that comes along with it. Every time I speak to the press, I mention Oxy's sites. You would be amazed how many of them remark about the bad rep that the forums have. It really is a shame.

Provenance's post shows the danger of that model when an innocent person wandered in only to accidentally tweak the Master's paranoia

Oh please. Maybe you've changed since the last time I saw you, but I think you're better than to try to shovel that shite.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Apr 15 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #13

Vaginafly trap

Good fucking luck educating the public. I'll stick to the forum where education is your own responsibility. The press have shown how slow they are to accept that responsibility. And the public gets what they deserve.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Shabba53
post Apr 15 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Elitist Bastard

Fair enough.

But I guess that's where the difference between you and I lies. I'm a total proponent of caviat emptor, but I also have always been the type of person who likes to teach to people who are willing to listen. It's fun for me.

I have to admit, while the education process is extremely slow, I've had examples that show promise.

I attended a bitters seminar with Derek Brown about a week ago at the Columbia Room in DC. There were about 14 or 15 attendees, most of whom own bars or are mixologists. At the beginning, we went around the room to introduce ourselves. I mentioned that I was from the WS.

At the end of the seminar, as we were shooting the shit, we got to talking about absinthe. One of the guys (he runs 'A Jigger of a Blog') mentions that he reads the reviews (not just mine, ALL of the reviews for the particular product) before buying new products. Almost the entire group agreed and we began discussing some of the reviews.

Even though that's a small segment of the population, it's a segment that gets in front of a lot of people. If they are properly informed, it's a good start.

The seminar itself will even be on the radio, so it might drive even more people to do some research.

I'll stick to the forum where education is your own responsibility.

Somehow, I don't think that's how you view your occupation. It's not a far leap to bring that into your life outside of work.
+Quote Post
Patlow
post Apr 15 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Insert gang name here

Member No.: 470

That last post seemed pretty pompous.

--------------------
L. D. C. - Outer Space Division
+Quote Post

29 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 06:12 AM