+Quote Post
eric
post Apr 16 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #47

Instrument of God's will

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 27

QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Apr 15 2010, 07:53 AM) *
A better comparison (as opposed to a military dictatorship) is to the difference between a Suit-and-tie restaurant and your local McDonalds.

The more appropriate comparison would be between Romper Room and Oxford.
Not that there is anything wrong with Romper Room. abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Apr 16 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #48

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Apr 15 2010, 08:38 AM) *
We're trying to educate the public.

You place great importance on education and appearing "respectable" to enhance site popularity with newbies and the media.

Both goals are ultimately irrelevant. Absinthe is a drink, not a cause.

Sure there is a huge amount of information on absinthe here accessible to anyone interested. But so what? Far more important is that virtually everyone alive who created that information, sweated for it, dug into old books for it, imagined and reimagined it, is or has been an active member here. And the pioneers discussed what they learned, thought, or felt like saying at the moment. I've even heard rumors that perhaps there may have been a touch of vitriol involved in some of those conversations, conversations that could never have taken place at WS, at least once it stopped being a local forum. Perhaps the motives of all those folks was to make life easy for reporters on deadline or to look oh-so-respectable for the neighbors, but I doubt it.

It's the process of discovery that matters, not reading some FAQs. No one needs FV to learn about absinthe. Like most others here, you probably managed to learn a great deal about absinthe when far less information was available.

FV has evolved. It's less a place of discovery and more a hangout for old friends. That may not be great for the ratings but it works.

The most important fact about absinthe I've learned is that its essence of absinthe is found in a LoucheFest. And a LoucheFest can be held without a drop of alcohol. Absinthe isn't about chop.gif, it isn't even about drinking. It's about the people who choose to drink and learn about and discuss absinthe. Even if they never voiced it, what Lautrec and Degas and Rimbaud knew is that it isn't what's in the glass that matters but the people you are with when drinking that glass.

On one level, you understand that. Perhaps you are ready to recount the great many (important) people you drink with. Or fond memories of drinking with friends. On another level, despite all of that, despite your endless protestations to the contrary, you don't have a clue.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Shabba53
post Apr 16 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #49

Elitist Bastard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2181

You're right prov. I don't have a clue. I'm wandering aimlessly through life.

Absinthe is a drink, not a cause.

I agree. I don't treat absinthe as a cause. I treat absinthe education as a cause.

FV has evolved. It's less a place of discovery and more a hangout for old friends. That may not be great for the ratings but it works.
I don't see a problem with that at all.

I don't need absinthe to spend quality time with friends and associates. The friendships built due to absinthe are a separate part of my life. I don't hold tastings and seminars to build great relationships. Those are meant to educate the public. I build the relationships before and after those events, when I can sit down and get personal with people and learn about them and have a tertulia or two.

And Prov, you don't know me personally. So you don't know my motivations. Nor do you know the value I place on close relationships. You probably don't care to know either, since you've rebuffed me each time I've asked you to get together. That's fine. But don't try to act like you know whether I have a clue or not.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Apr 16 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #50

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

An interesting thread, I've enjoyed reading it, and it got me thinking about what the site means to me. I'll post some thoughts on Fee Verte past, present and future here or under a separate heading over the weekend.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Apr 16 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #51

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Topic moved to General Absinthe Discussion section.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 16 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #52

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Excellent. Some of the best and brightest who are still around have made some points that I had in mind, but I didn't want to run on forever, and I didn't want to sound pompous, and they've put it as well or better than I could. Not to mention bringing the pomposity upon themselves harhar.gif

But in terms of answers, where did those answers come from in the first place? That is a fucking FAR more interesting question than some dipshit argument about which forum is best.

Yes. I've often wondered if I overrate the value of this forum to the rebirth of absinthe, but seeds were planted here that grew not only here but elsewhere. Maybe the scarecrows here were intimidating or disgusting, and maybe the field is fallow and the farmers are on the porch in the rocking chair, but ... The answers in the first place came from here, or started to come from here, or from people who were here. So those drinking easy absinthe or getting easy answers about it, have more for which to be grateful to this place than they realize - and that's just the public face of this place. The underground stream that flowed in parallel is every bit as important if not more so. This is where the heavy hoeing was done and the blisters were earned. I'm not talking here about the heavy hitters at WWS who readily concede the value of this site. Shabba made a reference to people in the press or the business who avoid this place "like the plague", and to hold such an opinion, it seems to me you have to value the superficial over the essential - I find that offensive.

I only jumped in on this conversation because I knew I was expected to.

That's right. I encouraged Shabba to jump in and warned him (not like he didn't know) that some cabbages would be aimed at his head. Whatever other problem people might have with him, he should be commended for his willingness to participate.

You place great importance on education and appearing "respectable" to enhance site popularity with newbies and the media. Both goals are ultimately irrelevant. Absinthe is a drink, not a cause.

Excellent post all the way around (excepting the last paragraph, which is personal - and since I don't know either Shabba or Provenance, I just can't comment).

The most important fact about absinthe I've learned is that its essence of absinthe is found in a LoucheFest.

Amen. And if we can't have a real louche fest, a virtual louche fest is a very good thing.

I'll post some thoughts on Fee Verte past, present and future here or under a separate heading over the weekend.

Well, Moses smelled the roses. I had hope for this thread, but not to this extent - Papa looked at his old Chrysler and with fond memories and fond regret, decided to pull it out of the barn and polish it. I know exactly how he feels.

This post has been edited by Artemis: Apr 16 2010, 07:27 PM

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 16 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #53

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

FV has had a huge impact on my life. I am thankful to have stumbled in here 10 or so years ago. I've made some dear friends and had some incredible experiences that I never would have dreamed of. I'll stop before I repeat that embarrassing episode from that one night at Le Soliat…
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Apr 16 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #54

Pre-ban minutiae guy

I wish I had that evening in Hi Def.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 16 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #55

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

Me too. Not the crying part but everything else.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Apr 16 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #56

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

If I were to compare:

FV = Vintage Pernod Fils. No equal.
LL = A fine HG. A treat when I can get my hands on it.
WS = La Fée. Better than nothing.

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
Shabba53
post Apr 16 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #57

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 2181

I don't think anyone's intent was to ever debate which forum is 'better'. At least, it wasn't mine.

I've always maintained that I enjoy both of these forums. You can go through the WS and read all of the explanations I've ever written about this place to people who have asked. Not once have I disparaged it.

it seems to me you have to value the superficial over the essential - I find that offensive
I'm not the one avoiding the place. All of the comments smack of killing the messenger. I'd never recommend this place if I didn't find its content essential. I never would have voiced my concerns if I didn't respect this place.

Oh, and Stroller, without the WS, you never would have found that bottle of PF White. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Apr 16 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #58

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

True, I think I have you to thank more than anyone for that bottle. abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
mgs
post Apr 16 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #59

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3857

of course I am a neophyte in regarding of absinthe knowledge….. but I am following the interesting and live discussions at FV. This subject was also posted in WS but nobody is posting there anymore.

In my own experience in professional scientific societies I also know that there are conferences, or societies that have different perspectives… some are more academic, other industrial, other philosophical. I believe, based on what I read here that FV is more philosophical oriented and WS is more pragmatic oriented, that is my perception.

Both approaches are important. We need people who "think on the future" as well as people who "implement the present"…. and I am convinced that FV and WS are really two different pubs in the same town as someone else mentioned to my original post.

but I have to say something fun : FV has very nice emoticons !!!!

bobw.gif

Zombie3.gif (that is me when I post after midnight)

cheers,

- marcelo
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 16 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #60

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I'm not the one avoiding the place. All of the comments smack of killing the messenger. I'd never recommend this place if I didn't find its content essential. I never would have voiced my concerns if I didn't respect this place.

I suspected I was going to have to clarify that. I didn't mean that I found your remark offensive. The "you" was a generic you, not you, Shabba. Allow me to rephrase my comment:

It seems to me that people with the attitude ascribed to the press and industry types by Shabba value the superficial over the essential.

Nor was it my intent to kill the messenger. I appreciate the message and I'm giving you (Shabba) the benefit of the doubt as to the veracity of the message - otherwise I would have just blown it off.

This post has been edited by Artemis: Apr 17 2010, 12:02 AM

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 11:57 AM