menu 2
menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> basic question - how to breathe a bottle of absinthe?, Basic Question of method
StormySeas
post Apr 18 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3723

I finally made it here - whew!
I have a question - after much lurking - how does one "breathe" a bottle of absinthe? Does it make a real difference? I would like to know the method so I can try it.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm new here - be gentle. I have used Fee Verte in all my purchases, I know some of you from the buyer's guide.
Be well!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 18 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #2

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I think it depends on the absinthe.

I had a sample bottle (three or four ounces) of some absinthe that was over a hundred years old. It was topped up when I got it, and probably at a reasonable height in the bottle from which it came. I tasted it and then let about half of it sit in the sample bottle for a couple more years. I then offered it to someone confident that it would be the absinthe experience of his life. And I tasted it myself. And it was mediocre at best, even shitty. I know absinthe is an ephemeral thing, but this was totally unexpected. WTF?

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Apr 18 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #3

La Faucheuse

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 434

Didn't pierreverte keep his Berger (that fed the world) on top of a cabinet in a doseur?

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 19 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #4

Master of Oblivion

This wasn't Berger - I had some of that Berger but that was all consumed at one sitting, which is apparently the way to go. This was Pernod - it was kept in a cabinet out of the light. Should I have put the remainder in a smaller bottle, such that there was no air at all on top of the liquid?

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Apr 19 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #5

La Faucheuse

That should work. You can even put a louched absinthe in storage that way.

how does one "breathe" a bottle of absinthe? Does it make a real difference? I would like to know the method so I can try it.

You know, absinthe is bottled at a really high strength and less susceptible to the effects of oxygen as a wine, but if you dilute it (a single glass) just as you would for normal drinking and allow it to warm slightly in your hand… over a calm, drawn out glass… it'll open up in a similar way.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Apr 19 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #6

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

I've kept a bottle of vintage Pernod stored in a dark cool climate for a couple of years now occasionally having a glass. I've not noticed a change at all. In fact I've shared several glasses with another member and I think they could attest to the fact that it's stayed virtually the same.

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 19 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #7

Master of Oblivion

I would have assumed just that. Maybe I imagined it. It's by no means the only time, tasting the same absinthe, that it struck me as wonderful one time and shitty the next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dakini_painter
post Apr 19 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #8

error, please reboot

Member No.: 3216

I've noticed that phenomenon as well. It's even mentioned in the context of some brown spirits, which are not known to age in the bottle. But once opened and exposed to the air, oxidation reactions can continue to occur. And that's not always for the better. Grimmy can probably inform us all better as to specific reactions.

--------------------
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, 144 Delaware Street, Walton, NY 13856
An absinthe distillery in upstate NY. www.delawarephoenix.com
"Good is the only investment that never fails." - Thoreau.
+Quote Post
Aggelos
post Apr 19 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3821

Well, afaik, not all absinthe breath the same way. Most of them do, actually, with one whole brand not being subject to the phenomena to my knowledge, which is Matter.

Some absinthe especially take a little breathing until they are perfect. Coquette is, imho, the best example, after a 1 month breathing.

Two ways to experiment it : open your bottle, taste it at opening, taste it several weeks later.

The way I do it : when sampling a new bottle, I will put some of the content in a topette . Since topettes are less air proof than bottles, the breathing occurs much faster, without totally deteriorating the absinthe though.

The other opening, refered by Grim (louched glass kept in handà, I've noticed also, and is, in my experience, much stronger with a good wine alcohol. (as is the breathing) I tend to attribute it to the warming of the glass though, and not the breathing

Ideal absinthes to experience it ? I know I'm gonna irk some of you but… Devoille. 65 in particular
+Quote Post
absinthist
post Apr 19 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #10

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

When half of the bottle is drunk, it is advisable to transfer the rest into a smaller one. Moreover, it is good to decant 100ml of each new stuff and put aside in a cellar and check after few years.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Apr 19 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #11

La Faucheuse

Right.

You give a young bottle a large head-space of air, it may improve slightly, it may turn slightly, but often it does not remain as you initially found it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
G&C
post Apr 19 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #12

Still Master

Member No.: 282

QUOTE(absinthist @ Apr 19 2010, 04:23 AM) *
When half of the bottle is drunk, it is advisable to DRINK THE REST.

I fixed it for you.

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Apr 19 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #13

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(StormySeas @ Apr 18 2010, 03:08 PM) *
how does one "breathe" a bottle of absinthe?

http://www.awolusa.com/page-3.htm

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 03:21 PM