Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greetings from Istanbul!!!
burcak
post Apr 28 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #16

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 3866

Thank you all for the warm welcome and generous opinions! I'd like to hear more…

QUOTE(mgs @ Apr 28 2010, 01:54 AM) *

for sure…. Colorado is Heaven for ski in winter and Heaven for mountain biking in the other seasons….. come by and we will drink something together……. wacko.gif (I used to ski until I broke my leg…..)

I heard that in Copper Mountain (a city in the mountains) has a nice absinthe bar Green Fairy Bar it would be nice to land there sometime with someone who also likes absinthe…

santé,

- Marcelo

Hope I'll have the opportunity to pay you a visit Marcelo; I have travelled to US only once; about 8 years ago. Let me know if you ever come to Turkey too wink.gif

QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 28 2010, 03:54 PM) *

Greetings and welcome.
A friend of mine gave me a bottle of Tekirdag gold rakisi. I understand it has several other herbs in it besides green anise and made with a raisin base. I enjoyed it so much that I tore through it pretty fast, when I tried to replace it I read that the guy who made it was gone and that the company was now owned by the government and they could not figure out how to make it. This is possibly beside the point though because the distributer will not ship to the US. Know how I can get a case?

Tekirdag is my recent favorite too!! Although I did not try the "Gold" version yet, I will soon.. If you find "Green Label EFE" that's a very good brand too! Well as much as I know, the company producing Tekirdag was always owned by the government .. It still is one of the most requested raki brands.

Yes it has the raisin base you're right, but I'm doubtful about the other herbs. That's not because I'm an expert or anything but I'm saying this from what I read on the bottle tongue.gif the process and ingredients are clearly decribed, nothing mentioned other than distillate base (called as suma in Turkish), anise and sugar.
(By the way is "raisin" word used for dried grapes? Cause the distinctive point of these brands are their base is made from fresh grapes unlike most other brands)

I'm pretty sure there must be some neighborhood in your city where mostly Turkish people is gathered. I would check some of the small stores there wink.gif
Or if you tell me where you are in US, I can try to give you some ideas..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Apr 28 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #17

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

A raisin is a dried grape, yes. I believe you are speaking of the Tekirdag raki, my understanding is that the Tekirdag rakisi gold was a different product all together.

--------------------
+Quote Post
burcak
post Apr 29 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Novitiate

QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 28 2010, 11:50 PM) *

A raisin is a dried grape, yes. I believe you are speaking of the Tekirdag raki, my understanding is that the Tekirdag rakisi gold was a different product all together.

I'll tell the story as much as I know then..

Until a few years ago, raki production was controlled by government and different distillaries produced raki under only one single brand that is "Yeni Raki". But then this law was changed and now it is free to produce raki by private companies.. Many different raki brands emerged after that..

Tekirdag is a city in Turkey; and at the times when there was only Yeni Raki, Tekirdag distillary was famous and although the bottles were branded all the same, people tried to locate the Tekirdag products by the code number on the bottles! After the legal change the product of this distillary is seperated from Yeni Raki brand and sold as a new brand "Tekirdag"

Tekirdag brand has three different editions, all are produced from fresh grapes. Gold is the ultimate version!
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Apr 30 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #19

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

Thanks Burcak, very interesting and very nice to hear the story from you.

--------------------
+Quote Post
burcak
post May 2 2010, 01:48 AM
Post #20

Novitiate

QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 30 2010, 03:44 PM) *

Thanks Burcak, very interesting and very nice to hear the story from you.

You're welcome.
And what a coincidence! My wife's cousin just brought me a Tekirdag Gold today from her trip to Cyprus! I'll soon give it a try yes.gif
+Quote Post
Grim
post May 2 2010, 05:05 AM
Post #21

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

Welcome…

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 02:52 PM