Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hello from Michigan
Boris B
post Jun 22 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3877

Greetings… I am on another absinthe forum too, so those of you who are also members over there will have heard my story already.

Absinthe has always been fascinating to me, taking on a mythical, legendary status in my mind. I'd heard all of the cautions about it down through the years. ("It will drive you mad!") But I didn't realize that it was now legal in the U.S. until a friend recently produced a small bottle of Grande Absente (how was I to know?) and offered to split it with me. We took turns swilling it, straight. Ugh… right?

Wellll… I actually enjoyed it that way and became even more intrigued. So I began researching absinthe on the Internet… and not only did I come up with lots of information that really enlightened me about the beverage, but I also discovered online communities such as this one devoted to the subject. My curiosity about "real" absinthe, prepared appropriately, was rising.

A few days ago, I persuaded my wife to go with me to a local place that bills itself as an "absinthe bar" so we could try a couple of different brands and compare them. I was excited about seeing the ritual of preparation and the louche.

The bar is in the basement of a restaurant (those of you who know metro Detroit will probably know the place I'm referring to), it's contrived to look mysterious and cavern-like while maintaining a "club" feel for the early 20s set. In fact, it turns into a dance club with a DJ and loud techno and hip-hop music after about 10 pm. Since I'm in my 50s, it's not my kind of place at all, but oh well.

The bartender showed me the absinthe selection… they have Absente, Grande Absente, LTV, Koruna, Kübler, and Lucid. I ordered a Kübler and a Lucid.

Well, the bartender began to prepare each absinthe by mixing the liquor and water in shakers before pouring the mixtures into glasses. It happened quickly and I wasn't sure what was going on. When she proceeded to pour more absinthe over the sugar cubes and lighted one of the cubes on fire, I realized she was doing the "bohemian method." Shocked, I yelled, "No, don't burn it" and she put it out before the sugar caramelized.

I couldn't believe it… the place calls itself an "absinthe bar," yet the bartender was preparing it based on misconceptions! At that point, I asked her to slowly pour some more water into each glass over the sugar cubes to get a good ratio of absinthe to water.

Of course, the bartender is now miffed because we're implying that she's clueless… but I am ticked off that I didn't get to see the louche!

At that point, my wife and I retreated to a corner in the club and sampled both absinthes. I liked them both but I found the Kübler's anise flavor to be a bit more subdued and balanced with the other herbs.

We won't be going back to that bar!

Anyway, now I am hooked… when I can scrape the cash together, I think I'm going to try a bottle of Vieux Pontarlier for starters. And this time, I'll prepare it myself so I can finally see the louche!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
absinthist
post Jun 22 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

QUOTE(Boris B @ Jun 22 2010, 01:05 PM) *

they have Absente, Grande Absente, LTV, Koruna, Kübler, and Lucid.

No absinthe=no absinthe bar.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jun 23 2010, 08:58 AM
Post #3

La Faucheuse

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 434

Welcome to Fée Verte.

You'll find the answer to numerous questions via the Search function… as well as old (sometimes fun) dialogue.

Cheers.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Boris B
post Jun 23 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3877

QUOTE(Grim @ Jun 23 2010, 04:58 AM) *

Welcome to Fée Verte.

You'll find the answer to numerous questions via the Search function… as well as old (sometimes fun) dialogue.

Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome! I will certainly be exploring the various threads of this forum in my quest for more absinthe knowledge.
+Quote Post
speedle
post Jun 24 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #5

Don't Touch My Junk

Member No.: 2041

QUOTE(absinthist @ Jun 22 2010, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Boris B @ Jun 22 2010, 01:05 PM) *

they have Absente, Grande Absente, LTV, Koruna, Kübler, and Lucid.

No absinthe=no absinthe bar.

Oh for fuck's sake.

Welcome Boris!

--------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
- Wilde
You are never too drunk. That belief is strongly overrated.
- Titswit.
Brilliant.
- Tibro
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 07:54 AM