menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boardwalk Empire, Any Thoughts from Our Resident Critics?
Amber von Doom
post Oct 14 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #16

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 3854

I never watched The Sopranos but I am all up in Boardwalk Empire's bidness. It took about 3 episodes for me to decide to keep watching which is very typical for me. It takes me that long to get into the characters.

I love Buscemi - and he is always Mr. Pink to me, too.

I'm still horribly amused by TrueBlood. That king that tore out the anchorman's heart holds a special place in MY heart.

--------------------
Our names are enciphered - But the words became true
When I was the sun and you, you were the moon

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 14 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #17

Alethiometer

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Artemis @ Oct 13 2010, 06:55 PM) *

I avoided reading anything about Boardwalk until today and I now see it compared to The Sopranos for better or worse. I don't have that frame of reference, as I never watched the latter, but I suspect that anything praised so highly is vastly overrated.

I did watch Trueblood until the mass quantities of blood on the floor and other unpleasantries overwhelmed the quirky humor and over the top situations (it's about vampires in redneck Louisiana). It's worth checking out and available on Netflix if you don't have HBO. The different songs chosen for the end of each episode are almost worth the price of admission by themselves.

That's from Alan Ball, the same guy who did Six Feet Under and wrote American Beauty, right? Six Feet Under is still in my book the second best series I've seen on television, so I'll have to Netflix Trueblood. As for the Sopranos, the first few seasons were actually a blast to watch (and had some goosebump inducing musical choices), but then they became more interested in prolonging the series and indulging in yet another who's-gonna-get-whacked-next cliché. I quit watching after season 4, lost interest.

I can say without even the slightest hesitation that the best show I have ever seen on television, will continue to watch religiously, and I doubt can ever be topped, is Breaking Bad. It's better than most movies I've seen. A brief plot synopsis that gives nothing away is: A genius high school chemistry teacher finds out he has terminal lung cancer, and no money for treatment or to leave his family, so he decides to spend the last 12-18 months of his life he has left cooking the best meth anyone has ever encountered so that he can leave his pregnant wife and son with cerebral palsy a little nest egg. Obviously things don't go as planned.

Everyone owes it to themselves to start watching Breaking Bad from the beginning and get caught up. It's the only TV show I've literally lost sleep over and suffered anxiety from, and that is as addictive and harrowing as the crystal meth it's about. I've never seen better acting, cinematography, writing or directing on the small screen. It has a real Coen Brothers sensibility to it. I particularly think you'd like the show Artemis. It takes a little time to get where it's going, but that's just because it actually thinks the viewer is intelligent and has an attention span longer than 2 seconds. Sorry to so ridiculously over-hype something, but I don't think it's possible to over-hype this show. Breaking Bad is just THAT good.

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 14 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #18

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I've seen the promotional spots for Breaking Bad - I was turned off by the whole crystal meth thing. I know it's only TV but some subjects make my skin crawl. I've only recently had access to HBO, when my daughter got it so she could catch up on True Blood (I ran that together erroneously before) by viewing on demand instead of waiting on the discs from Netflix. Some of the other things that turned me off about True Blood when watching four episodes a day to catch up, were the gratuitous and completely unerotic (to my taste) sex, some dog fighting scenes (again, some things are unfit for use in any form of entertainment to my taste), and some characters that really grate on my nerves, such as that obnoxious black girl (although gap-tooth Sookie has worn thin as well). Even with all that, it's still one of the most creative things I've seen on TV, and quite funny at times.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 14 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #19

Alethiometer

Meth should make everyone's skin crawl. The good thing is there aren't too many scenes in Breaking Bad with scabby junkies. The show is way more about doing the wrong things for the right reasons and good people doing bad things than it is about meth. But then again, there are some scenes involving meth that gave me the heebie jeebies, and I can't say it isn't a big part of the show. I knew somebody who did that shit years ago, never seen anybody disintegrate so rapidly and permanently, not even from heroin.

It sounds like I'd like Trueblood's sense of humor, seems to be quite aware that it's being gratuitous.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Oct 14 2010, 03:59 AM
Post #20

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

You'd probably love Breaking Bad, Artemis.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 14 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #21

Alethiometer

So far I have yet to meet a single person who has watched that show who doesn't. Usually popular opinion is a barometer of what I won't like, but Breaking Bad is special. I've never seen them chock so many unforgettable and compelling characters into one show. I could talk about that show all day long, but I don't want to ruin anything for anybody.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Oct 14 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #22

La Faucheuse

I hadn't bothered to watch a single episode… a few weeks before the season three finale, I ended up going after all three seasons (Breaking Bad).

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 14 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #23

Alethiometer

Spoken like a true addict. I'd sell my last pair of shoes to get the latest episode…
+Quote Post
Grim
post Oct 25 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #24

La Faucheuse

Just getting better…

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jul 18 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #25

La Faucheuse

Premiere night for Breaking Bad Season 4… is it just me, or does "Walt" look eerily like Le Gimp (in person)?

Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Patlow
post Jul 18 2011, 01:08 AM
Post #26

Insert gang name here

Member No.: 470

An oldie but a goodie. Is this South America or Italy?

Nothing like this sing along!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbyc3t-Ctc

--------------------
L. D. C. - Outer Space Division
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jul 18 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #27

La Faucheuse

You drunk motherfucker. Were you meaning to post in "What are you listening to?"

I love you, Patlow, you silly sum-bitch.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Patlow
post Jul 18 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #28

Insert gang name here

Member No.: 470

Whoopsie daisies!

--------------------
L. D. C. - Outer Space Division
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Jul 18 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #29

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

Bill the Butcher, is that you?

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 18 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #30

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Game of Thrones was for me the best thing on TV while it was running. Run just ended. The shows are on demand at HBO for a while.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 03:14 AM