Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original recipe for Absinthe Ordinaire 65° Abel Bresson
Artemis
post Nov 3 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #16

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The "à f" sometimes "a f"… is that "à faire", "à fois"… what is that understood to stand in for

Each instance. It's a unit price. Multiply by the units to get the lot price.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 3 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #17

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

Penmanship was practiced and tested by the student creating a fractur, a typical one might look like this, larger and more elaborate examples exist, some by the signers of the Declaration Of Independence.
Prol explained to me how pen nibs were once very delicate and flexible, allowing an incredible degree of control, the death of the flexible nib came about from the pen company offering guarantees of the product, a stiffer nib being less likely to fail from a heavy handed writer.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 3 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #18

tool making biped

I don't speak French so I just read the A.F. as @.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Nov 3 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #19

Master of Oblivion

I don't speak French so I just read the A.F. as @.

Good move.

I saw that sampler in person at Kirk's house. We marveled at it - pupils were expected to do that! Now they misspell words using a keyboard. Sad.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Marc
post Nov 3 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #20

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 3 2010, 09:54 PM) *

The "à f" sometimes "a f"… is that "à faire", "à fois"… what is that understood to stand in for

Each instance. It's a unit price. Multiply by the units to get the lot price.

Yup.
Kols 160 à f74
=
160 kilos at 0.74 francs per kilo
= 118.40 Francs.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Nov 3 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #21

Master of Oblivion

So if we do the math, they collected around 875 liters per run at around 67%. Seems to be a conservative cut in the interest of clean distillate?

Also of interest:

Russian anise
Lemon balm in the maceration
"Quarantain" fennel - is that a reference to forty, or was it actually quarantined, sanitary, or ... ?

This post has been edited by Artemis: Nov 4 2010, 12:10 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 4 2010, 02:02 AM
Post #22

tool making biped

I was wondering about that too. I couldn't find a definition of the word that would imply anything other than the obvious. I found this example of the word being used in a gardening forum discussion about artichoke varietals:
"Violet Quarantain Artichoke of Camargue or Artichaut Violet Quarantain de Camargue"
Also a "Quarantain dwarf white kidney bean or haricot nain blanc quarantain.
Plant data base list from 1900: "Violet quarantain de Provence"

This from the French wikipedia:
QUARANTAIN.1 (ka-ran-chock) 1. Rural term. Variety of corn. Adj. Says certain species or varieties of pea, corn, giroflées, a growth or a faster production. Peas quarantains. 2. Vulgar name of the matthiola ass. ETYMOLOGY Forty. Emile Littré, Dictionary of the French language
I think they may be talking about fennel doux.

--------------------
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Nov 8 2010, 06:18 AM
Post #23

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3169

copied from google book:

On emploie les fruits da| fenouil dans la fabrication de l'absinthe, … On cultive le fenouil sur une grands échelle dans les départements de l'Hérault Bouches-du-Rhône, Vaucluse, Gard et Tarn il pousse à sne hauteur de lm,20 à 2m et fournit des ombelles garnies de fleurs jaunes.On en cultive communément deux espèces qui ne diffèrent que par leur hauteur et qui sont communément appelées : petit quarantain et gros quarantain. Le fenouil pousse le mieux dans les sols calcaires et bien drainés mais il peut croître n'importe où, et si on fume le sol avec soin, on obtient de bons rendements. Les fleurs apparaissent en juin, et on cueille les ombelles aux mois de juillet et d'août dès que les fruits sont mûrs.On les place sur des claies pour les faire sécher à l'abri du soleil et on sépare ensuite les fruits par le battage .

happy translating but AFAIK it look like sweet fennel

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Nov 8 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #24

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 3 2010, 03:50 PM) *

Judging by the neatness of the handwriting I'd wager the maker's wife/mistress/gay lover was the book-keeper

Ever seen the Declaration of Independence? Penmanship was once an ability possessed by many educated men and women alike, drilled by long hours of practice.

Good point. Now most people are so used to typing that they can't write very well by hand. While I am not old, sometimes it feels as if we're witnessing the decline of civilization. I was speaking with one college professor last night who said one of her students actually wrote "LOL" in a sentence in one of her term papers. I also have met some kids who can't read the hands on an analog clock.

Of course people probably thought civilization was crumbling when comic books became popular also.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Nov 8 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #25

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

The invention of the ballpoint pen marks the beginning of the end of civilization.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 8 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #26

tool making biped

Thanks E.P.
The fennel fruit is employed in the manufacture of absinthe. One cultivates fennel on a large scale in the departments of l' Herault Rhone delta, Vaucluse, Gard and Tarn. It grows to a height of 3 to 6 feet and when ripe the umbels have yellow flowers. Both species are commonly cultivated and differ only in height and are called: small quarantain and large quarantain. The fennel grows best in limestone soil, well drained, but it can grow anywhere, if you char the ground carefully, you may obtain good production. The flowers appear in June, harvesting of the umbels begins in July and goes through August or as soon as the fruits are ripe. You place the fruit on trays to let them dry sheltered from the sun, separate the fruit by beating.

--------------------
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Nov 8 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #27

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3169

QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 8 2010, 10:03 AM) *

Thanks E.P.
The fennel fruit is employed in the manufacture of absinthe. One cultivates fennel on a large scale in the departments of l' Herault Rhone delta, Vaucluse, Gard and Tarn. It grows to a height of 3 to 6 feet and when ripe the umbels have yellow flowers. Both species are commonly cultivated and differ only in height and are called: small quarantain and large quarantain. The fennel grows best in limestone soil, well drained, but it can grow n' import where, if you char the ground carefully, you may obtain good production. The flowers appear in June, harvesting of the umbels begins in July and goes through August or as soon as the fruits are ripe. You place the fruit on trays to make them dry with in shelter from the sun, separate the fruit by beating.

More than nice try wink.gif

n' import where => n'importe = any so anywhere

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 8 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #28

tool making biped

Thanks E.P. I thought that might be it but wasn't sure about that one part so I left it alone.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Dec 12 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #29

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

Two hands writing two different languages

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 13 2012, 06:35 AM
Post #30

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

But can she drink absinthe and play the drums?

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 05:13 AM