Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paris Visit
burcak
post Dec 3 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #16

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 3866

Hi there! Back from Paris and reporting…

To start with; although the staff were helpful and the rooms were "decent", the Hotel Royal Fromentin was an absintheur's heartbreak. There was only a cheap fountain sitting in the middle of loby, some antique spoons and fountains behind the bar and a bottle of absinthe-like 45% something, I think it was a Versinthe. Never tried it. (Oh, by the way it was a little shock when we saw the hotel is in the middle of a sex district biggrin.gif But there was nothing disturbing about that really)

IPB Image

Anyway, went to La Fee Verte instead, for the absinthe and had a Mansinthe and Verte de Feugerolles. That was quite interesting for me to find out the first absinthe I did not like at all with the Feugerolles.. And I don't know if it was a mistake of the bartender but the Libertine I have tried a couple of days later also had the exact unpleasent taste/aroma too! Is this true in fact???

IPB Image

Well, the atmosphere of this Cafe is nothing special, and although the absinthe selection is fine in quality, it lacks the quantity. After my second visit I really asked myself why I bothered to spend one more night there, actually sipping absinthe at home with a good movie is far more enjoyable.

However what was the most pleasant absinthe experince for me was the Vert D'Absinthe! They are great people to chat with and learn from. Greetings to Sebastien and Luc wink.gif I have tried several absinthes and bought the Duplais Verte and La Coquette, as well as a fountain (which I think I'll display in the middle of the saloon till the limit of my wife's patience biggrin.gif) It's a real fun to use this thing :)

What I regret the most is that I went to La Fee Verte the second time to have an average meal ending up with an half glass of "don't know really what" Libertine de Feugerolles?!, instead of a second time of this; Relais De La'Entrecote! If you've been to Paris amd never ate there you're missing a lot!! At the very least the color and louche of the sauce gets a good 9/10 if you ask me tongue.gif

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Dec 4 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #17

Alethiometer

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 51

Sounds like a fun trip. Libertine absinthe is yucky and I'm no fan of VDF either. Paris seems to know no more about Absinthe, with the exception of Cantada and Luc's shop, than NYC, which is sad. But then again, the food in Paris is so wonderful that you'll be too busy enjoying that to worry about Absinthe. I've determined that Absinthe is either something you drink at home and make exactly the way you like it, or else it can be something used in a cocktail if it's mixed by a really good bartender (I've thus far only encountered 3 bartenders in all of NYC that impressed me with a good absinthe cocktail). It's a waste of money and happiness to order a regular absinthe at any bar I've been to though. If they prepare it for you they'll fuck it up 100% of the time. If they let you prepare it yourself, it's still going to cost more than most top-shelf booze so why bother? You already dropped a lot of money to get a good bottle at home, so why spend $15 a glass? Buying absinthe at a bar would be like paying $75 for a bottle of absinthe that was only 150ml.

Gone are the days of the green hour, when one could walk into their café of choice and get an affordable glass of absinthe and make it correctly. I think we're all nostalgic for a time and place that we never knew and no longer exists.
+Quote Post
sixela
post Dec 4 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #18

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE(burcak @ Dec 4 2010, 12:47 AM) *

Anyway, went to La Fee Verte instead, for the absinthe and had a Mansinthe and Verte de Feugerolles. That was quite interesting for me to find out the first absinthe I did not like at all with the Feugerolles.. And I don't know if it was a mistake of the bartender but the Libertine I have tried a couple of days later also had the exact unpleasent taste/aroma too! Is this true in fact???

Tea like (i.e. Veronica)?

Relais De La'Entrecote!

Next time something even more unhealthy, try to find a restaurant that specializes in marrow bone…

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Heure Verte
post Dec 4 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #19

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 119

About La Fée Verte Cafe : We went there to explain to the waiters how (and why) serving absinthe with ice cold water, no fire, slowly, etc. The problem is : the waiters and tresses are coming and going, never stay long. So I guess we will have to do that often.
Other problem : the bottles are corked with very old measuring object… So old that the bottles are not really closed. We tasted a Coquette of their own, opened for some days and we did not recognize our beloved girl !
We are working to make things better : they have now Frenchman Pontarlier glasses in order to stop using their old measuring crappy objects.
It can explains why Burcak felt this way, drinking his glasses.
There is so much work to do among cafes in Paris about absinthe ! But I guess the best way would be to open our own place with only the best parapharnelia, absinthes and services wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
burcak
post Dec 5 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #20

Novitiate

Member No.: 3866

QUOTE(Heure Verte @ Dec 4 2010, 10:11 PM) *

About La Fée Verte Cafe : We went there to explain to the waiters how (and why) serving absinthe with ice cold water, no fire, slowly, etc. The problem is : the waiters and tresses are coming and going, never stay long. So I guess we will have to do that often.

Hi Luc! Yes, and I guess in most places the weekdays and weekend staff are different. On my second visit there was NO staff from my first visit except the bartender.

QUOTE(Heure Verte @ Dec 4 2010, 10:11 PM) *

Other problem : the bottles are corked with very old measuring object… So old that the bottles are not really closed. We tasted a Coquette of their own, opened for some days and we did not recognize our beloved girl !
We are working to make things better : they have now Frenchman Pontarlier glasses in order to stop using their old measuring crappy objects.
It can explains why Burcak felt this way, drinking his glasses.

I don't think the "unpleasantness" of VDF comes from the glasses or gizmos! I tend to believe it was there for good wacko.gif
What supports is that, after I opened the Duplais at home, I catched a hint of the same odor in that too!!! (I haven't noticed it while tasting at your shop, but then I haven't met VDF either! biggrin.gif) However it dissapears while tasting, leaving the fantastic absinthe I remember! Exactly same comments are present in a review too, so I think this flavour is a trademark.
Also nothing wrong with the Mansinthe and Perroquet; they were really nice..
However Pontarlier glasses did not seem to work very well with the dosing; (I've got one on my second visit) they only fill half of the reservoir.. I guess I should have ordered a double!? tongue.gif

By the way, after seeing Duplais louche at home I have understood why points are given to color/louche in the reviews; it looks adorable!

Finally as for the Coquette; I still haven't opened it yet. The bottle SOOO beautiful, I cannot dare to take its virginity! wub.gif well.. yet..
But of course I will come to the point where I cannot resist any longer dev.gif
+Quote Post
Patlow
post Dec 6 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #21

Insert gang name here

Member No.: 470

Emoticon madness!

--------------------
L. D. C. - Outer Space Division
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Dec 6 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #22

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

I would ban the damn illiterate things except for birthday cakes and thujone-soaked pork chops.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Absinthia
post Dec 8 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #23

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3299

QUOTE(Heure Verte @ Dec 4 2010, 09:11 PM) *
There is so much work to do among cafes in Paris about absinthe ! But I guess the best way would be to open our own place with only the best parapharnelia, absinthes and services wink.gif

There is not a lot work to be done in Paris alone my friend, all over the world bars that serve absinthe mostly serve it incorrectly. Trying to convince them to change all that is almost like trying to convince them to stop selling J&B for real whiskey… But if you ever want to open up your own place, please put me on the guest list :)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 04:38 PM