Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RueVerte, Holiday woes?
Steve
post Dec 14 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #16

amateur d'absinthe

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 34

A lot of the "crap" and the overblown thujone descriptions are carried over from the previous owner of the business*. And if it sells, I can't fault Antoine for not wanting to eliminate it. Personally I'm happy that there is a place I can go to buy Serpis or Deva if I feel like it one of these days!

Delaware Phoenix absinthes are very good, I love both of them. And Leopold's is very nice too. But I don't want to drink only those 2 or 3, I need some variety. I want Sapphire, Berthe de Joux, Jades, Maison Fontaine etc., and hopefully soon the new St. Antoine and la Grenouille. That's a superb selection in my book.

*Edit: I wrote this before I read Marc making the same point. And Antoine and Colas have made a lot of really positive changes to the site already.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Dec 14 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #17

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

Remember 10 years ago when there were no drinkable absinthes on the market, except for Segarra, which has 2 ingredients and is accidentally colored by barrels, and a couple of Butty's outrageously priced clandestine La Bleues?

Now we're arguing whether excellent legal US absinthes are better than excellent European Absinthes, several of which I can walk down to the store and buy.

These are good times.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 14 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #18

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 14 2010, 06:08 PM) *

I don't think you've tasted the new Oliva Tibro, the one made by Jacob, not by the previous maker.

I think I have. Same bottle, same labeling, same product. And what's more it tasted just like it was made using this ridiculous protocol touted on the Rue Verte site:

It takes over six months to complete one batch of Oliva absinthe. Here is an outline of the process:

1. Maceration (8 days)
2. Distillation (24 hours)
3. Coloration (12 hours)
4. Infusion (12 hours)
5. Ageing (6 months)

Tasting is all you can do, it's undrinkable.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Patlow
post Dec 14 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #19

Insert gang name here

Member No.: 470

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 14 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Personally I'm happy that there is a place I can go to buy Serpis…if I feel like it one of these days!

Indeed!

--------------------
L. D. C. - Outer Space Division
+Quote Post
Marc
post Dec 14 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #20

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

We did a tasting session with some well known people and we liked it.

My review back in May:

Couleur : jaune-vert

Nez : anis, vanille, pontica

Trouble : rapide et épais, à la Suisse

Goût : anis (vert et étoilé) un peu vifs et piquants, vient ensuite la grande absinthe (un peu amère), et enfin un bouquet floral et herbacé indiquant une coloration naturelle à la petite absinthe et à l'hysope.

Bouche : ronde et fraîche à la fois, dommage que l'anis soit plus piquant sur la langue que fruité au palais. Note finale un peu amère, à se demander si de la grande absinthe n'a pas été utilisée en coloration (?)

Conclusion : malgré ses petits défauts (anis et amertume) j'aime bien cette absinthe pour 2 raisons :
1 - venant de ce pays à la réputation sulfureuse, c'est un réel effort que d'avoir produit une absinthe 100% naturelle et très buvable.
2 - la note vanillée en attaque nasale et le bouquet de plantes mi-herbacées mi-florales en bouche rendent cette absinthe attachante, elle sort un peu de l'ordinaire et j'avais envie de cette petite pointe de nouveauté.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 14 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #21

Vaginafly trap

I wouldn't have quite made the same tasting notes as that, but then I don't know French.

QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 14 2010, 08:38 PM) *

Note finale un peu amère, à se demander si de la grande absinthe n'a pas été utilisée en coloration (?)

I do know the taste of A.a. when used in a finishing step. No question about it.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 14 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #22

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

I am no fan of A.a. used in coloration either.
+Quote Post
Marc
post Dec 14 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #23

Da froggy

Fuck, I took the time to translate my review in English, it took me an hour and look what I've posted! blink.gif
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 14 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #24

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Color: yellow-green

Nose: anise, vanilla, pontica

Louche: quick and thick, Suisse style

Taste: anise (green and star) a bit lively and piquant, following with grand wormwood (a bit bitter), and finally a flowery and herbaceous bouquet indicating natural coloration with petite wormwood and hyssop.

Mouth: round and fresh at the same time, a shame that the anise is pricklier on the tongue than fruity on the palate. A slightly bitter final note, (causing one to) wonder if some grand absinthe was not used in coloring.

Conclusion: in spite of its slight defects (anise and bitterness) I well like this absinthe for two reasons:
1 - Coming from a country with an inflammatory reputation, it is a real effort that to have produced an absinthe 100 % natural and very drinkable.
2 - the vanilla note in the nose and the bouquet of floral and herbaceous plants in the mouth render this absinthe engaging, it is a bit out of the commonplace and I appreciate this small point of novelty.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Marc
post Dec 14 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #25

Da froggy

Merci beaucoup Artemis biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Dec 15 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #26

All I got is wooden tokens

Group: Members
Member No.: 3208

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 14 2010, 12:11 AM) *
OCvertDe: just email Antoine and ask!
I suppose I could, but I know it shipped. The tracking followed it across Europe nicely, then it was loaded onto what appears to be a row boat, which is allegedly still out there paddling to the US. My LdF tracking always behaves this way too, once it leaves the UK it isn't updated until it's literally delivered, but as I said, it usually doesn't take half this long. I've tried putting my tracking # in on the US site for DHL, but nothing comes up, which I think happens with LdF as well. I think DHL may be who I need to contact, but I'm still assuming they're just swamped for the season. DHL did some serious downsizing and laying off in the 'States last year.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Dec 15 2010, 02:26 AM
Post #27

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 14 2010, 09:56 AM) *

… and a couple of Butty's outrageously priced clandestine La Bleues?

I can think of at least one other dealer, at that time, whose la bleues were of a higher proof, and tastier, but there's no question that there's been an astounding proliferation of fine absinthe over the past decade.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Dec 15 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #28

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Member No.: 41

I don't often address purely commercial questions regarding Oxygenee companies on the forum here, but perhaps this time since this thread is expressly about RueVerte, I should give a little background:

RueVerte is unashamedly a broad range absinthe supermarket, and just like a supermarket, it sells products in many different categories and price ranges. There are customers, particularly in Germany, who prefer an anise free product, and RueVerte sells these, but the entire thrust of the site is to educate the consumer, and steer them in the direction of the best traditional style absinthes. Our aim - rapidly being achieved - is to be Europe's #1 absinthe vendor, and this isn't achievable by stocking only a limited range of absinthes of unimpeachable ideological purity - one needs to cater for the whole market. Only with the economies of scale generated by a broad product range and high turnover, can we offer the best absinthes at the very best prices.

A particular aim is to try and draw the more enlightened Eastern European producers firmly into the absinthe mainstream, this is the thinking behind our deal with Olivia. There will be other developments around this idea in the new year.

The people behind RueVerte - Antoine, Colas, Marc and myself - are passionate about high quality artisanal absinthes. Antoine, who's in charge of the day-to-day operation of the business at our warehouse in Freiburg, is a remarkable and gifted young man with a heartfelt and uncynical approach to customer satisfaction, something that manifests itself in RueVerte's very high percentage of repeat-order customers. More than 92% of RueVerte orders are shipped within 12 hours of the order being received. If you have any queries at all about anything on the RueVerte site, just email Antoine and you'll get a very quick reply in English, en francais or auf Deutsch, as you prefer.

Lastly, to end with a teaser: in 2011 RueVerte will introduce an entitrely new absinthe, traditionally distilled from whole herbs, at a price-point previously only achieved by oil mixes.

**** Infomercial ends here ****

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Dec 15 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #29

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 15 2010, 02:28 AM) *

I don't often address purely commercial questions regarding Oxygenee companies on the forum here, but perhaps this time since this thread is expressly about RueVerte, I should give a little background:

I've come to realize that Kyle is right, filteration is the best. It makes no more sense to distill absinthe then it does for a doctor to use leeches. I have found, however, that a few leeches added to the macerate does add a certain piquancy to the final product (you were wondering how I improved the new Roquette) although adding a few leeches to an absinthe forum may have a rather different effect. I am proud to $ell Kyle'$ fine products. They have helped me find a new Reality, a rather profitable one at that. As for Marc, well, there's a reason why his face is covered in his new avatar.

RueVerte is unashamedly a broad range absinthe supermarket, and just like a supermarket, it sells products in many different categories and price ranges. There are customers, particularly in the land of David Hasselhoff, who can't stand anise and, realizing that the customer is always right as long as their credit is good, RueVerte sells these, but the entire thrust of the site is to educate the consumer buy depleting their wallet and steer them in the direction of the best, most profitable products. Our aim - rapidly being achieved - is to be Europe's #1 absinthe vendor, and this isn't achievable by stocking only a limited range of absinthes of unimpeachable ideological purity [a term no one else has had the balz to apply to absinthe] - one needs to cater to the fool market. Only with the economies of scale generated by a broad product range and high turnover, can we offer the best absinthes (I giggled when I wrote that one) at the very best (for us) prices.

A particular aim is to try and draw the more enlightened producers firmly into the absinthe proft$tream, this is the thinking behind our deal with anyone we can. There will be other developments around this idea in the new year.

Lastly, to end with a bit of insider knowledge I've gained as the world's foremost expert on preban absinthe: Hapsburg Yellow really rocks.

**** Infomercial ends here ****

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 15 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #30

Vaginafly trap

Oxy, clearly you can run your business(es) however you so choose. Fine by me if you want to do it this way or that. It doesn't matter.

Just one question though, have you tasted the Olivia(sic)? My perspective is that it's worse than crap, but that may just be my perspective. I found that once the A.a. hit my tongue that there was nothing else left to taste except that acrid bitterness. I just can't agree with it being one of the highlights of the year.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 03:13 AM