Reply to this topicStart new topic
> commercial hyssop in absinthe, Why?
Kirk
post Jan 4 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #1

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

I don't mean this as self promoting, take it as you will, I have an honest question.
I was trying some Blues Cat absinthe and it got me thinking. Good hyssop adds a lot to an absinthe. I started growing hyssop years ago because Artemis told me; " good absinthe requires good hyssop", and he was right.
You can't get good hyssop, except from me, anyone that has seen mine told me there is no other hyssop like it. I can tell you that only one professional distiller uses it in their product, why is that? It does not cost that much, you don't use that much of it and it can do so much for the drink.
What is up with commercial distillers that they put poor grade hyssop in their product when I have available the solution?
I don't get it.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Jan 4 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3876

Likely because they don't give a fuck, and most drinkers won't know the difference. Either that, or the distillers don't know the difference themselves. Perhaps if they got some of yours to chew on, they'd want to buy more.

Spending that day with you guys, smelling those herbs of yours, and sampling absinthe made with them showed me the difference. Talk about your double-edged sword. I can barely drink half the stuff in my cabinet now.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Jan 4 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #3

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

Herb-comparison is quite the eye opening experience. If I were you Kirk I'd send distillers whom you think might be interested small free samples to compare with what they currently use, and pricing.
+Quote Post
martin.zufanek
post Jan 4 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3332

Kirk actually did! He sent me samples of his hyssop and wormwood circa two years ago and after comparison I immediately stopped buying commercial hyssop and started with my own absinthe garden. Now I am using just my own aromatic herbs. So thank you Kirk!
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Jan 4 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3876

Sounds like he's earned bottle or two of L'Ancienne!
I'm enjoying mine Martin…I hope to get more, but understand it's complicated right now.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jan 4 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #6

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

Nah.
Good to hear you're growing it Martin, I think that's the best way for a distiller to go if they can.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jan 5 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #7

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

My hyssop finally died, I have to order more plants this spring. Kirk's herbs are the best.

It seems that some commercial distillers cut too many corners to squeeze out a profit in a tough market. You get out of a product what you put in. I guess it is all about the goal of the venture. Is it to sell the most and spend the least for the higher return or is it to produce a product that one can be proud knowing is the best it can be?

You can taste the difference. That said, I hope to taste some of the Blues Cat when it is available.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jan 5 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #8

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

I've never actually come across any good hyssop. I've been fortunate enough to come across some that's betterer. And the privilege of some that's the bestest. I just like the pretty blue flowers though. Some of the pink ones too. More than that I don't really know.

Gotta say though, there's a conversation at The Lounge that's got me curious about quality nutmeg. I knew a girl once named Meg. Quality female, too. Kinda drove me crazy. Nuts even. But I don't think she liked absinthe. Sounds a little iffy bringing such a nut(Meg) together with absinthe. I'd be interested to hear more about that, Artemis.

Not that I want to promote Meg for anyone else's pleasure. Or pain, even.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 5 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #9

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The nutmeg absinthe was an attempt to capture a nuance of Ted's early Orleans style, which was itself a sort of homage to vintage Herbsaint. It was a gingerbread nuance that I thought I had perceived in both, which probably had little to do with gingerbread (maybe something to do with mugwort) and even less to do with nutmeg. Mostly what the experiment did was prove that myristicin is indeed soluble in ethanol, and that it does to the brain exactly what the literature says it does (Ted grinned and said "myristicin!" when I later mentioned nutmeg to him). Interesting that in the photo Jack posted at the lounge, a halved nutmeg looks like a halved brain. A whole fresh nutmeg (or several; I don't remember) with a super-efficient extraction in less than a liter of ethanol can be a scary thing.

The first beautiful hyssop I saw was grown in Colorado by some hippie the Nephilim had smoked out. That was over ten years ago - the guy had an herb business but later apparently gave it up, as the first I saw was also the last, until Kirk's. Kirk's is very similar in appearance, but more robust. The purple flowers are my favorite part.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jan 5 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #10

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

I guess bread yeast don't produce enough alcohol during the rise to extract enough myristicin to worry about. I love gingerbread. And, yes, it can be yeast risen. But it would be foul with too much nutmeg anyway.

Maybe that's why the chicken milk folks are skimping on the nutmeg in their CO products. Somebody was whining about that at The Lounge too.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Jan 5 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #11

Liquorista

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(Kirk @ Jan 4 2012, 04:23 PM) *

What is up with commercial distillers that they put poor grade hyssop in their product when I have available the solution?
I don't get it.

How much can you grow per year in total, what is your ability to expand, how stable is the estimated output per year, how long do you plan to farm and if you stop, will someone be trained to take over?

--------------------
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass. ™
+Quote Post
eric
post Jan 5 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #12

Instrument of God's will

Member No.: 27

I do not know what Kirks annual production is nor would I recommend that he post that information on a public board.
I have seen his plants and I concur that his hyssop is the best quality that I have seen. The climate where he lives seems to be perfect for producing healthy, high yields .
I am confident that his production capability would be able to satisfy even the most ambitious CO producer.

Utilizing herb of this level of quality makes a HUGE difference.

--------------------
Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 5 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #13

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Pierre's questions are those that any serious commercial operator would ask of a supplier, and Kirk should take them to heart if he's serious about "having the solution". But what I read into Kirk's question was more frustration than anything that producers would use "poor grade hyssop". Darko had a good suggestion as well. And Martin took a righteous path.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
eric
post Jan 5 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #14

Instrument of God's will

Member No.: 27

Pierre's questions are those that any serious commercial operator would ask of a supplier

If Absinthe were anything more than a small niche market, perhaps yes.
And if Peter was a "serious CO operator", he would be asking such questions in private instead of on a public forum.

--------------------
Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jan 5 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #15

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

Ô Cassez !

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 06:31 PM