Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Absinthe Automaton
chrysippvs
post Mar 18 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Absintheur in Exile

Group: Members
Member No.: 297

I found this really amazing Absinthe (Verlaine and Rimbaud) themed automaton and thought it would be up folks' alley:

http://www.artomic.com/automata/ghost%20bo…stboxvideo.html

--------------------
Viam Verum Vidi; Me Non Igne Fovebo - Flammam Fiam.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Mar 18 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #2

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

That is just too cool, makes me want to give up my hammers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Mar 18 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3876

What an amazing piece of engineering and art. Thanks for sharing that.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 19 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #4

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

It's fine in its own right, but it's amazing that in an age of computer graphics, anyone took the trouble to do the engineering and construction required to pull that off.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
dr_ordinaire
post Mar 19 2012, 01:47 AM
Post #5

Grumpy with an explanation, your Honor.

Member No.: 59

A thing of beauty from another time. Makes me remember how well cast were Rimbaud and Verlaine in "Full Eclipse" (or was it "Total Eclipse"?)

Qaint and adorable at a time of CGI.

Kudos!

Dr. O

--------------------
Practice makes perfect, so be careful what you practice…
+Quote Post
dr_ordinaire
post Mar 19 2012, 02:07 AM
Post #6

Grumpy with an explanation, your Honor.

Member No.: 59

Chryssipus, are you Chryssipus the Achemist? All the old names keep appearing. What is this, a new Fellowship of the Ring? Snow-undisturbing Fairies I'm quite sure we can get in the large Domain past the Golden Gate. Not that some may want to volunteer from our midst.

I cannot fathom how I can help., but next week I'm visiting my dad in Argentina, he has a metal lathe. sp if you need a part, contact me.

O

--------------------
Practice makes perfect, so be careful what you practice…
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Mar 19 2012, 03:55 AM
Post #7

Absinthusiast

It's the long and challenging process that makes this kind of work what it is. It took me back to the days when I was an animator, often working in stop-motion. Countless hours experimenting, closing the doors to the world, and burying ourselves in creative madness. Damn I miss those years. As magical as computer graphics can be (and I'm not making light of the creative vision of people who work in this field) something in art is lost when a hand is not holding a brush or bleeding from a splinter. What this guy did is nothing short of greatness…blood, sweat, sawdust and sparks, all for an idea. The tactile feel of real-world materials, and the process of seeing it in one's head, then giving it life…this took a staggering amount of vision and dedication. It is a form of worship to create something like this.
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Mar 19 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #8

Remembering all my Imps

Member No.: 12

I built animated Christmas displays back in the 80s for a time.

Imagine being trapped under a large animated set, repairing a mechanism, while having to endure the same tape loop of Christmas songs, over and over.

And I was was the most well adjusted member of the display shop…

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Mar 19 2012, 06:18 PM
Post #9

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Animated sculptures were not uncommon in the late 19th century though they were the playthings of the wealthy. Some survive and are highly valued by collectors. The engineering is indeed impressive and ironic considering its relation to a lost liquor recreated from old writings.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Mar 20 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #10

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

I don't know if anybody saw Scorsese's Hugo (I thought it was great), but here's an article about the Automaton that inspired the one in the movie:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/science/…?pagewanted=all

What's amazing is the poem and drawing of the ship it made. The sheer skill required to design something so precise blows my mind. As sbmac said, worship is a good analogy. You have to be monastic to pull something like that off.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Mar 20 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #11

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

"Hugo" was beautiful.
Causing an arm to write or draw seems easier than making an arm look like an arm, or a face look like a particular person.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Mar 21 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #12

Absinthusiast

I saw Hugo with my teen son a couple weeks ago. I was deeply moved, despite wishing it had a slightly more indy vibe. It was a beautiful story, and touchingly acted by Kingsley. Scorsese did a good thing here. George Melies was one of my inspirations as a teen to get into film…I had no idea he was part of Hugo's story. I came home from the theater, dug out my old super-8 projector, scraped layers of grime and dust off of the thing, plugged it in, and it worked! Stunned, I crawled into the attic and found the old Blackhawk Films A Trip to the Moon I bought at 15, and threaded up the projector. How I managed to save these things after move upon move through the decades, I'll never know. 37 years melted away, with my son at my side. He shared part of my life when I was his age. An ultra-rare moment. I forgot the coolness of old projectors…the clicks, flickers, the hum, the smell from a bulb as hot as the sun as it burns the dust and nearly melts the film itself were it not moving quickly though the gate… Finally, the slapping of the film after it rewinds on the reel. Connections like this mean the world to a Dad. It's magic, like Melies'. Funny, I remembered every frame of that film…I can't remember my cell phone number though.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 04:18 PM