G&C
post Mar 31 2012, 05:08 PM
Post #16

Still Master

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 282

Massachusetts - First in Freedom…

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
moschops
post Mar 31 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #17

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2720

Massachusetts: Fistin' Freedom.

--------------------
+Quote Post
moschops
post Apr 3 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #18

Absinthusiast

The carbon process was invented in 1855 by Alphonse Poitevin and survived as a commercial process into the first half of the 20th century. It is a demanding and labor-intensive printing process, but also the most permanent, with a beauty unlike any other photographic print. Carbons are made by sensitizing a pigment-loaded gelatin tissue with dichromate. The tissue is dried and exposed through a negative, and then mated to a piece of paper in a water bath and squeegeed together. The carbon tissue/paper sandwich is then placed in hot water, the unexposed gelatin melts away, and the hardened, exposed gelatin transfers to the paper creating the image. The final print will show relief--the shadows are thicker than the highlights.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 3 2012, 01:56 AM
Post #19

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The final print will show relief--the shadows are thicker than the highlights.

Now that's something. I did a lot of dark room work years ago, but I never envisioned, much less heard of, anything like that. Thanks for those details.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
moschops
post Apr 3 2012, 02:15 AM
Post #20

Absinthusiast

Yup, completely unique. They can be printed on a lot of different final supports other than paper--white glass, polished aluminum, anything you can get the image to stick to. When printed on glossy supports the highlights will shine and reflect light and the shadows will be completely matte.

--------------------
+Quote Post
moschops
post Apr 3 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #21

Absinthusiast

This print of the Old Absinthe House was made by making a negative from a high resolution scan of the original glass plate kept at the Library of Congress. Below shows the print while in the hot bath, where the relief is most apparent.

According to exhibition statistics of the Royal Photographic Society, 1/4 to 1/3 of the prints displayed between 1893 and 1901 were carbons, so they were pretty popular. I've never seen(that I know of) a period carbon in the wild though.

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Apr 3 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #22

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Impressive!

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Apr 3 2012, 09:48 PM
Post #23

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

I'll take that over a color print anyday.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
moschops
post Apr 4 2012, 12:30 AM
Post #24

Absinthusiast

One can make a full-color carbon print. Only the seriously crazed will attempt it though. You can use watercolor pigments in the gelatin to make cyan, magenta, yellow and black tissues. Then you make CMYK separation negatives and print each color in perfect register. It's a shit-ton of work with multiple opportunities to irreversibly screw things up. I've never seen one, and perhaps never will, but by all accounts they can be absolutely breathtaking.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Apr 4 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #25

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

I love this stuff. I think. Well, I definitely relish the irony of not just a discussion of original print techniques but particularly sharing examples via electronic media. It's such a tease.

Photography represents a great leap forward in image reproduction and "identical" multiples. Continuing technological advancements have enabled such easy access to "original" artworks in all media and genre that it's become quite easy to express some familiarity with great historical art although we've never been in the presence of the original. Our world is so much broader, and yet somehow impoverished at the same time. It fascinates me.

As these prints and the discussion of techniques fascinates me. I mean no insult. This is the world we live in, and I applaud anyone keeping the traditions alive and endeavoring to share them - no matter the irony. Thanks, moschops.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
moschops
post Apr 4 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #26

Absinthusiast

Thanks, Tibro. There's nothing insulting in what you say. Technological advancement does have a habit of removing us further from direct experience. And the irony: there is a forum dedicated to analog photography that takes a hard line--no discussion of digital, no display of images that were not made with a 100% analog workflow--yet, of course, every image on there is 100% digital tease. Still, the site is a goldmine of knowledge. When I started lurking here many years ago I felt the same tease when reading discussions of a drink that pretty much didn't exist. It's still kind of like that for me given the paltry offerings in my state. I'm teased every time I read a review of a new & promising bottling that I know I may never get to taste.

At the same time, everything I've learned about these archaic techniques is in response to the initial digital tease. The descriptions of some of these processes were so tantalizing I had to find out for myself, and amazingly all the information needed is freely available in digital form. You don't need to apprentice, attend workshops, or go to school to learn this stuff; but 25 years ago you probably did(if you could even find such instruction). Seeing digital copies also compelled me to seek out real examples in galleries. I now think of photographs in a completely different, and expanded way. So, in this case at least, the technology has helped propel me toward a broad & direct experience, without the impoverishment.

For the vast majority, these images are nothing special--just another jpeg among the millions piped into their computers on a daily basis, but a few might be teased enough to seek some form of direct experience. A jpeg of a carbon print doesn't replace experience of seeing a real carbon, but it will get you part way there. How much further you want to go is up to you.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jay
post Apr 4 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #27

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3695

QUOTE(moschops @ Apr 4 2012, 12:30 AM) *

One can make a full-color carbon print. [snip] I've never seen one, and perhaps never will, but by all accounts they can be absolutely breathtaking.

I had never heard of carbon prints before this, so thank you for sharing, Moschops.

While this may not count as "seeing" a color carbon print, here's a link to a site which offers a small gallery of them by a handful of artists. Even with the limitations of viewing them through a computer screen, they look fantastic: http://www.colorcarbonprint.com/
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 4 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #28

Master of Oblivion

And I thought Kodachrome 25 was intense - and there's a lot to be said for light coming through an image, and Kodachrome also involved an intensive process, but those prints are amazing, 3D-like. I especially like Frida with Magenta Rebozo - it's as though someone had handed Vermeer a camera. The man and woman with the chickens and the wasp on the flower are nice, too.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
moschops
post Apr 4 2012, 11:23 PM
Post #29

Absinthusiast

Thanks for posting that, Jay. Yes, that group are the only color carbon printers I'm familiar with. You can watch a video of one of them(the wasp on flower guy) working a print--an interesting hybrid of new and old technique, and an nice workspace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DFJ523rU-k

I've noticed some galleries are beginning to label inkjets as "carbon prints" or "carbon pigment prints" so the term may be in the process of being repurposed.

Artemis - The last roll of kodachrome.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 4 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #30

Master of Oblivion

Thanks again - it's good to see it's as I remembered it.

I shot the final frame in a cemetery in Parsons, Kansas

Enough said.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 03:32 PM