Jaded Prole
post May 15 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

Only the experts know for sure?

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirk
post May 15 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #2

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

That's why I like good tasting wines that are cheap.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post May 15 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

Tous les experts d'absinthe sont ici

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Jay
post May 15 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3695

QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ May 15 2012, 12:02 PM) *

Only the experts know for sure?

What a fascinating story about the high-end wine world and human psychology that turned out to be.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post May 16 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Attached Image
I've been having this in my graphic upload stash for eight years. I was going to Photoshop it to make it about absinthe and never got around to it.

The two experts in the middle have a disagreement about some overpriced swill and it's about to be settled by M. Henri-Henri to the embarrassment of the expert with the beard, who spends the rest of the evening red-faced. M. Henri-Henri refers to a certain vintage as "thin and bitter, like la mee-zair" (the poverty-stricken"). Our hero, to the far left, stays out of it. He's only there for the buzz.

I've forgotten the name of the comic. It's probably by Gilbert Shelton.

There were bottles of cheap Napa Valley wine markered with the names of old Bordeaux wines they were apparently intended to impersonate, and there were more bottles soaking in the kitchen sink, their labels ready to be removed.

Carlo Rossi, the crown and scepter are yours. I also remember a movie, but not the name of it, in which a "rare vintage" is faked, the secret ingredient being dirt.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post May 16 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #6

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

It looks a little like Shelton's work, particularly the noses and the expression on the bearded expert's face. Perhaps it was one his earlier cartoons.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post May 17 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #7

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

It's from the early 70s (at least the comic book in which it appeared was, I'm not sure about the strip itself, if it originally appeared elsewhere). I don't have access to the comic book right now, just the scan, otherwise I could have identified it definitively. I spent a lot of time researching it yesterday and came up empty, but you're right about the noses; that's why I think it's the work of Shelton - the nose of the bearded expert is almost the same nose as Freewheeling Franklin's. That and the graphic style is more like Shelton's than any of the other suspects who came to mind.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post May 28 2012, 02:28 AM
Post #8

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

The wine deception is the Placebo effect. If I pretend to be an acupuncturist and stick needles into you randomly, you have a 45% chance of recovering from back pain. If, however, a professionally trained acupuncturist does it, you have a the same 45% chance of recovering, no better than my sham intervention. Meanwhile if a doctor sees you for five minutes, just gives you a painkiller and sends you on your way, you only have a 27% chance of recovering from the back pain.

Wishful thinking combined with ceremony has an infinite power to deceive.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post May 28 2012, 05:32 AM
Post #9

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Are those real figures from real studies, or anecdotal estimates? I'd like to repeat them if actual.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Kirk
post May 29 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #10

tool making biped

The largest supplier of raw material to the jewelery manufacturing industry sent me a fake platinum ring, stamped "platinum" and marked with their mark. When I complained they replaced it. When I told them I was uncomfortable with the excuse I was given they said they do not feel comfortable dealing with customers who are not comfortable with them and offered to strike my name from the list.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Jul 4 2012, 01:25 AM
Post #11

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3876

Fuck 'em. Anyone with honorable intentions and a molecule of professionalism would have understood completely, listened to you, validated your concerns, and spent as much time with you as you needed. If they cared about honor and integrity, they would have been concerned about image and reputation, no matter how large or small the buyer.

It's good you found this out without getting hurt, and I'm sure there are suppliers out there with better
business sense. Were you speaking to someone in management? Also, how did that ring slip by them… perhaps it didn't.
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Jul 4 2012, 04:01 AM
Post #12

Absinthusiast

BTW Mr. Darko, you nailed that one. I'm in PT for the injury I sustained in Nov's car accident, and the emotional component is enormous in recovery… At LEAST as important as the treatment itself.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jul 4 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #13

tool making biped

The other suppliers buy from my supplier. It was an offer to black ball me from the industry.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Jul 4 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #14

Absinthusiast

The makers of blablahcaster guitars took an attitude like that with me once, when I complained that they weren't supporting the customers well-enough with their warranty process. I dropped them like a hot rock, because I have other manufacturers I work with who are top-notch in this area, and I refuse to be dicked with by assholes who haven't earned the right to be that arrogant. It sounds like you don't have that luxury. Big companies can behave like this. It sucks.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jul 4 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #15

tool making biped

If I could prove they did it with the express intention of defrauding me they would be subject to a $500 fine and I would be looking for 3rd tier material suppliers. It practically took an act of congress to approve my account with them in the first place.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 10:28 AM