Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Absinthiades 2012
OCvertDe
post Oct 13 2013, 04:23 PM
Post #31

All I got is wooden tokens

Group: Members
Member No.: 3208

Just finished reading the newsletter from Absinthes.com, and the Absinthiades '13 blog, and I think I have a wooden token's worth of clue where you're coming from with that last post now.

How is it possible, really, that anyone with any kind of affinity for Absinthe whatsoever, could award a gold medal to Kubler 53 in a blind test that included four others that I know of which would have blown it out of the water, no pun intended. I mean, anyone who has had it should know a stick of black licorice with absolutely nothing else to make it interesting, and score it appropriately whether they recognize it as Kubler or not.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 13 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #32

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Benoit Noel (Xmas) made a series of long posts about these competitions in the last week or so at the French forum, interesting but difficult to read. I said:
Mais je n'ai aucun chien dans cette lutte; je crois que toutes les médailles sont une farce. Ma devise est "drink it or sink it".

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Oct 14 2013, 12:38 AM
Post #33

All I got is wooden tokens

Group: Members
Member No.: 3208

Difficult to read is right, we have one too many members who can't deign to post in the language everyone else is using here already. On a French forum, I would expect to have to do a little more work to communicate, but regardless, I get "drink it or sink it". And it only drives the point farther home: how in the world did Kubler 53 leave with a gold medal? Normally I'd be looking for conspiratorial shenanigans, the dog named "Farce" as the case may be, but encountering that taste in a blind test I'd be reaching for the spittoon and asking what the joke is.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Oct 14 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #34

Le maistre d'appastate

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 127

Je préfčre la Kubler 45 …

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Oct 14 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #35

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Good news, you've been accepted to be a judge at the 2014 Absinthiades.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Oct 14 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #36

Le maistre d'appastate

En effet !®

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 15 2013, 12:56 AM
Post #37

Master of Oblivion

Please do away with that stupid-ass signature.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Oct 15 2013, 01:04 AM
Post #38

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

Lo que dijo.

No necesito ańadir epilépticos a mis otras dolencias de hombre muy viejo.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 15 2013, 01:10 AM
Post #39

Master of Oblivion

On a French forum, I would expect to have to do a little more work to communicate, but regardless, I get "drink it or sink it".

The gist of it was Noel's contention that an absinthe mixed from distillates of individual herbs (as opposed to one made from all herbs in the still at one time) shouldn't be disallowed from a competition on that point alone, but in the process he seemed to be taking up for a German with whom a lot of people have a problem over marketing practices, among other things. What I said was:
I don't have a dog in that fight, but I think that all medals (for absinthe) are a farce. My motto is "drink it or sink it".
Benoit agreed with the motto, but said he couldn't ignore the way the competitions are run. But I don't remember reading anything really laudatory about any of them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Oct 15 2013, 04:43 AM
Post #40

Vaginafly trap

If he's not able to ignore the way the competition is run, then better to find the amusement in it than to be a scolding skewl marm trying to correct it. The report I heard was that the only satisfying absinthe in Pontarlier that weekend was an HG from artisan disinterested in finding a marketing gimmick for it.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 15 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #41

Master of Oblivion

Sounds about right. Certainly there's no argument for mixed absinthes being unauthentic or non-historical. On that point Benoit was right. I made the point that if a medal is going to be awarded to a mixed absinthe, and the distiller and the mixer are the same entity, what's the problem? But if they're not, who gets the credit? Crediting only the distiller wouldn't be right, because no matter how good the extracts are, they don't automatically add up to a good mix. On the other hand, a good mixer who isn't the distiller can't exactly be credited with making a good blended absinthe.
But you don't try to enter a dog in a cat show, even if I suspect that the rules were set up to favor absinthe makers from a certain area, people who don't so much favor cats as deny that dogs exist.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Mar 21 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #42

Le maistre d'appastate

2014 quand ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tibro
post Mar 21 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #43

Vaginafly trap

Don't worry about it, you'll be, you know, bizzee.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Mar 21 2014, 11:28 PM
Post #44

Le maistre d'appastate

Je vais aller en France cette année.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tibro
post Mar 22 2014, 06:56 AM
Post #45

Vaginafly trap

Do tell.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 11:16 AM