post Jun 30 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #16

La Faucheuse

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 434

QUOTE(Marc @ Jun 30 2012, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Grim @ Jun 30 2012, 12:47 AM) *

I want that Couleru. Fuck!

I can offer a discount for you my friend.

Thanks, my friend!
abs-cheers.gif

But truth is I'm trying to make alambic/equipment restoration my priority… and it gets less affordable every day.

But DAMN!

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Jul 1 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #17

Liquorista

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(Marc @ Jun 30 2012, 08:34 PM) *

Signed or unsigned doesn't make a big difference, same goes for the Duplais.
It's not like a signed copy of a Verlaine poem.

Yeah, that's a good analogy…I could see how a hand-signed copy of a rare book by its author would not make a big difference in its value, if the author was some unknown schlep like Couleru or Duplais…
Never even seen a Duplais hand-signed, except with the signature done in the printing.

Wow…really? I have completely lost touch with what make antiques valuable, but, you're the professional…

--------------------
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass. ™
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Jul 1 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #18

Liquorista

QUOTE(Grim @ Jun 30 2012, 08:59 PM) *

But truth is I'm trying to make alambic/equipment restoration my priority… and it gets less affordable every day.

If you ever run across a 4 liter Egrot chapiteau, I know of one that needs one…

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jul 1 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #19

La Faucheuse

Hah!

Interestingly enough, I was thinking of that little beauty when we started turning brass for couplings and realized at this point, with the material, I might be able to have a replacement made. It isn't the same though. I take it, that chapiteau is gone forever? What a shame.

"Chris" on this board, got a hold of a very pretty bain marie, alambic d'essai that looks very similar to yours, but I don't think it's got quite the same volume.

As for Couleru, it's so much easier to flip through the pages of a book and take notes than click through scans. But there is truly many interesting things going on in that book…

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Jul 1 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #20

Liquorista

Mine was also un-cut, so it was impossible to fully read as the pages were still attached by foilds. Was really a collector's item, but for a shelf and not for a historian…

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jul 1 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #21

La Faucheuse

Not impossible…
abs-cheers.gif

Many a book collector would shutter at the sight of me taking a razor to an old book, just so I could read what was between the pages.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Marc
post Jul 1 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #22

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 01:44 PM) *
if the author was some unknown schlep like Couleru or Duplais…
Never even seen a Duplais hand-signed, except with the signature done in the printing.

I didn't want to hurt your feelings Peter but Couleru was not famous, so his signature is worth … Nothing.

Wow…really? I have completely lost touch with what make antiques valuable, but, you're the professional…

Sorry but yes, you have lost touch with what makes antiques valuable, hence your last sales on eBay.

Tu m'en veux ?
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 1 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #23

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

taking a razor to an old book

Shut your mouth. Puts me in mind of the pirate in Treasure Island: "What fool's cut a Bible?"

I have several first editions of books, which in many cases fetch high prices even when the author is not so famous, but when he is, OUCH! I have a biography of Rasputin, autographed by his daughter, who wrote it. Fascinating man, Rasputin.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Jul 2 2012, 03:21 AM
Post #24

Liquorista

QUOTE(Marc @ Jul 1 2012, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 01:44 PM) *
if the author was some unknown schlep like Couleru or Duplais…

I didn't want to hurt your feelings Peter but Couleru was not famous, so his signature is worth … Nothing.

Sorry but yes, you have lost touch with what makes antiques valuable, hence your last sales on eBay.

Tu m'en veux ?

Remember, you heard it here first from your most trusted resourse of absinthe antiques, all you absinthe people, the most important period historian of the absinthe époque is NOT famous, thus NOT important, thus his personal signature has NO collectable value… that's what you are saying, isn't it? Or that he might only be important if you have a signed copy of Couleru to sell?

If you really cared about the widow, you would buy the poor guy's collection back, at the price you sold it to him, or fair market retail, which you now dictate, and then resell it again without fanfare, and suck up the loss as personal goodwill. And not mention anything about it….but where's the marketing in that?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 2 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #25

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

got other things going now

2002 or 1902, just a bunch of stuff somebody would have had to sell when you died, anyway. No sarcasm whatsoever intended. I'm done "collecting" anything but love, if I can get it. I wish you the best going forward.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jul 2 2012, 03:30 AM
Post #26

La Faucheuse

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jul 2 2012, 05:14 AM
Post #27

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

What is fame?

Once upon a time I knew a man who was known all around the world for his works. His observation? He found that fame in itself was not very interesting, but valued its utility for getting laid.

And, yes, I have signed first editions.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Marc
post Jul 2 2012, 07:25 AM
Post #28

Da froggy

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 2 2012, 04:21 AM) *

Remember, you heard it here first from your most trusted resourse of absinthe antiques, all you absinthe people, the most important period historian of the absinthe époque is NOT famous, thus NOT important, thus his personal signature has NO collectable value… that's what you are saying, isn't it?

As I said before, Couleru is not Verlaine, he's only known by less than 100 people in the absinthe world (and I'm being generous here).
A signed copy of Couleru's book is a nice thing for sure, I'd love to have one myself, but it doesn't add a financial value to the book, that's what I meant.
+Quote Post
Marc
post Jul 2 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #29

Da froggy

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 03:33 PM) *

Mine was also un-cut, so it was impossible to fully read as the pages were still attached by foilds. Was really a collector's item

Now this adds value to a book from what I've heard from a books collector. The signature adds no value, but the fact that it's uncut does.
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Jul 2 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #30

Liquorista

QUOTE(Marc @ Jul 2 2012, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 2 2012, 04:21 AM) *

Remember, you heard it here first from your most trusted resourse of absinthe antiques, all you absinthe people, the most important period historian of the absinthe époque is NOT famous, thus NOT important, thus his personal signature has NO collectable value… that's what you are saying, isn't it?

As I said before, Couleru is not Verlaine, he's only known by less than 100 people in the absinthe world (and I'm being generous here).
A signed copy of Couleru's book is a nice thing for sure, I'd love to have one myself, but it doesn't add a financial value to the book, that's what I meant.

QUOTE(Marc @ Jul 2 2012, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 03:33 PM) *

Mine was also un-cut, so it was impossible to fully read as the pages were still attached by foilds. Was really a collector's item

Now this adds value to a book from what I've heard from a books collector. The signature adds no value, but the fact that it's uncut does.

You should probably stop at this point…

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 03:14 AM