Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the ban
delirium
post Jul 6 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 4030

So I was curious to find out when the ban was lifted in different countries, and noticed wikipedia saying:

Most countries (except Switzerland) presently do not possess a legal definition of absinthe (unlike Scotch whisky or cognac). As such, producers are free to label a product 'absinthe' or 'absinth', whether or not it bears any resemblance to the traditional spirit.

So excepting at least Switzerland, they didn't simply ban absinthe, because there was no official definition of it, am I right? How was the ban defined? By regulating the allowed tujone content of the drink or what?

(I'd still like to know about the end of the ban in more detail.)

--------------------
"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink." -Shunryu Suzuki
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 6 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

In the United States, the Food and Drug Act of June 30th, 1906, forbid the importation of consumable products either banned in the country of origin or considered to be harmful to health. The U.S. Department of Agriculture, on July 25th, 1912, in Food Inspection Decision 147, decreed that absinthe met both of these criteria and therefore could not be imported into nor sold within the U.S in interstate commerce. As to the end of the ban in the U.S.:
http://www.oxygenee.com/USDA-Absinthe-Policy-1912.pdf

Text in red added in July 25th edit.

This post has been edited by Artemis: Jul 25 2012, 07:30 PM

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Pčre Ubu
post Jul 6 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Novice dans la Narine Confortable

Member No.: 4095

Except for the CH, could someone just about piss in a bottle and label it 'absinthe"?

Sure seems to be the case with some brands anyway.

--------------------
Novicio en la acogedora fosa nasal
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Jul 7 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 4078

You can find a lot of info about the ban right here on the front.

http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe/prohibition1.html
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 7 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

I took the question to be about how absinthe came to be banned in the absence of a legal definition of absinthe, the liquor. I'm not sure such definitions existed in the U.S. at the time (and a definition for absinthe in particular still doesn't), but in any case, no such definition was needed to ban it in the U.S. back then. It was banned as:
1. A consumable product which had been banned in its country of origin
2. A consumable product considered to be harmful to human health
It's the same sort of ban that can be implemented in the U.S. by the FDA today.

That "front" page at the absinthe museum is about the ban in France, which came after the bans in Switzerland and the U.S. The technicalities and legal fine points of both the ban and the lifting of the ban no doubt varied from one nation to the next, thus there is no short and easy answer to delirium's question. But in general, I'd say that when it came to banning, it was pretty well understood by all concerned in all countries back then that absinthe was an alcoholic extract of wormwood.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jul 7 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #6

Alberga Schutzkorps

Member No.: 1939

Switzerland had a legal definition of absinthe and substitute drinks before lifting the ban. See this thread. Funny thing is the ingredients list in the book mentioning 'thuyone' among herbs…

--------------------
Pĺ detta dricka vi ĺtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
delirium
post Jul 9 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #7

Absinthusiast

Thank you for the information. I'm looking for the years when the ban was removed in different countries.

QUOTE("wikipedia")
In 2000, La Fée Absinthe became the first commercial absinthe distilled and bottled in France since the 1914 ban.

QUOTE("wikipedia")
In May 2011 the French Absinthe Ban of 1915 was repealed following petitions by the Fédération Française des Spiritueux, who represent French distillers.

Does this mean that absinthe was first exported from France in 2000, and later sold in France in 2011, or what?

QUOTE("wikipedia")
In Switzerland, the constitutional ban on absinthe was repealed in 2000 during an overhaul of the national constitution, although the prohibition was simultaneously rewritten into ordinary law instead. That law was later repealed such that as of March 1, 2005, absinthe was made again legal in its country of origin.

And in 2005 in Switzerland?

QUOTE("wikipedia")
In December 2007, St. George Absinthe Verte, produced by St. George Spirits of Alameda, California, became the first brand of American-made absinthe produced in the United States since the ban.

2007 in USA?

--------------------
"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink." -Shunryu Suzuki
+Quote Post
delirium
post Jul 23 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Absinthusiast

You are not aware of these details?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 23 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Master of Oblivion

I'm not. That Wikipedia page was largely the work of a long-time member here (I've forgotten his name - was it Ari?). It's more than likely accurate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jul 23 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #10

Le maistre d'appastate

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 127

Ari était assez bęte.

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 23 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #11

Master of Oblivion

Il était un des nôs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jul 24 2012, 04:59 AM
Post #12

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Didn't he get tight and do knife tricks?

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jul 24 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #13

Le maistre d'appastate

Et assez bęte.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jul 24 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #14

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

I do believe The Lard™ was impressed.

Musta ben gud nahledge.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jul 24 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #15

Le maistre d'appastate

Comment on dit «noroM™» en français ?

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 11:05 PM