> Bottle mellowing opened vs. upopened
wooperman
post Jul 10 2012, 01:16 AM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 1969

Hi,
I know that opened (1/3 empty) bottles age/oxidize. Fully sealed bottled will change slowly I assume. Has anyone collected any real data? I know taste buds are not trustworthy when linked up to the old memory bank (in my case anyway).
Lets say you got two bottles of Meadow of Love - will it be the same 5 years later if unopened?
Or another way to ask - When getting boutique absinthes that may have been sold quickly after bottling - is there a good time frame one should wait before opening it?
Basically, I bought Meadow of love, I see lots of discussion of it changing (for the better) over time - is that "positive" oxidation or mellowing of the hooch?
Oxidation would be infinite and mellowing would stop?
Or is this just science nomenclature versus hippy jargon?

--------------------
Rhymes with Ratt-Stink.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Greytail
post Jul 10 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #2

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 587

While I can't weigh in on the scientific reasons, I'll confirm that any absinthe I've ever owned got better and better with the best being the last glass from the bottles. Funny, I was talking with a member of the forums about that only yesterday over a very pleasant phone conversation.

I do know oxygen is not as evil to absinthe as it appears to be with wine.

--------------------
RoseBud....rosebud
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jul 10 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

Most do seem to get better though it depends, in my limited experience, on the stability of the Wormwood used. Some varieties seem more sensitive to oxidation and develop a kind of iodine taste as they break down.

As for BC or MoL, I think that is another issue related to the distilling and the capture of volatile elements that evaporate early on but that is just a guess on my part.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Père Ubu
post Jul 10 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Novice dans la Narine Confortable

Member No.: 4095

My unscientific method is to open, pour a few doses in a topette, cork & shake bottle, and hide bottle in a cool dark place.

--------------------
Novicio en la acogedora fosa nasal
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 11:25 AM