Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small cache found, Oxygenee, Bazinet, rums and whiskeys
Jay
post Aug 13 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3695

For anyone interested, here are a few pics from a recent cache "discovered" in a hotel wine cellar that supposedly has been locked up tight since the 1940s. The Oxygenee is reported as being from 1885, and the Bazinet from 1895, although I don't know how those dates were arrived at. (Btw, I have no affiliation with the seller, and am only posting these pics for those who enjoy such historical curiosities.)

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Père Ubu
post Aug 13 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #2

Novice dans la Narine Confortable

Member No.: 4095

Troublemaker. wink.gif

Kidding aside, those are some nice pics. The oxygene bottle seems to have a good wax seal.

--------------------
Novicio en la acogedora fosa nasal
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 13 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The labels are in better shape than I thought. But then those are much better pictures than the small one I saw (the one that didn't exist, depending upon whom you want to believe). The bottle with no label supposedly also contains Bazinet Jeune.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Jay
post Aug 13 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Hey man, I took my toys home and brought them here precisely to avoid that label. abs-cheers.gif

The fellow selling them seems to have a good idea of their worth, although I didn't recall hearing about Oxygenee bottles going for as high as $7,000. He's not asking that much, but he hasn't named a price, either. I'd have considered selling a third kidney to grab one of the Bazinets, as he seems to be hovering in the $2k range for those, except that the reviews I've read of it have not been encouraging.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 13 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

I wasn't impressed with Bazinet from the same period (roughly - within a decade I think). It wasn't terrible, but nothing special. I'm pretty sure there are reviews of it here or at Hartsmar's place. I seem to remember Oxy liked it better than most others did. The Oxygenee that Oscar generously offered in Allentown a couple of years ago was a camphor bomb, almost undrinkable. My guess is that this was due to unfortunate degradation of roadside fennel. I wouldn't have thought that Cusenier had bought into a modern theory I read somewhere that the variety of fennel isn't important. Maybe young Cusenier was shopping for groceries the day that batch was macerated and Alphonse the oppressed herb man (no doubt a communist), seeing an opportunity to put it to the man, pissed in the soup, so to speak.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Jay
post Aug 13 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #6

Absinthusiast

QUOTE(Artemis @ Aug 13 2012, 08:47 PM) *

I wouldn't have thought that Cusenier had bought into a modern theory I read somewhere that the variety of fennel isn't important.

I'm glad you brought that up, because I believe we read that "modern theory" in the same place, and it made me wonder. When an absinthe distiller does an A/B test with the same absinthe, one with Florence fennel and one with sweet/common fennel, and says the difference was insignificant to the point of being negligible, it does give me pause. I take it you're not sold on that conclusion?

(Oh, and I did find your review Friday of Bazinet, and that of a couple others, right here on this very site.)
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 13 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Master of Oblivion

If you search here on Bazinet, you'll find a lot more remarks about it by people who tasted it but didn't do reviews. Possibly it was made and marketed as a lighter absinthe, but the relative lack of essential oils in such an absinthe means it won't provide the flavor wallop after a hundred years that Pernod (for example) does.

As to the fennel, don't get too caught up in the names (Florence, sweet, common etc.). Even if you think you know the name of what you have, it's important to know whether it was correctly labelled. You might not know for sure unless you grew it, and maybe not even then. There's a profound and obvious difference between bitter fennel and sweet fennel. It's entirely possible to discern little difference among two or three fennels that are all in fact (not just in name) "sweet" fennel; I wouldn't argue with that. But to carry it so far as it doesn't matter, that's how camphor bombs are made.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 13 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #8

Vaginafly trap

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2953

Tansy might do the trick as well.

Would this "moderne theory" be accessible for scrutiny by the general public anywhere?

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jay
post Aug 13 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Absinthusiast

PM sent. I'm not sure what the accepted practice is of quoting the text from posts on other forums, so I won't do that here, but this is the link for anyone interested: http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.ph…0&start=120
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 13 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #10

Master of Oblivion

Grim said he sinked Bazinet so hard the toilet water gurgled.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grim
post Aug 14 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #11

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

Hahahahah… you remember that conversation!

Ah hell, re: Bazinet, I'd still give it another whirl.

One thing I've learned is preban bottles are like pretty girls; most of them disappoint you (whether you're willing to admit it or not), but every now and then… wow.

And they're expensive too.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Jay
post Aug 14 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #12

Absinthusiast

Reading through the various impressions of the Bazinet as sampled by members here a few years ago, the adjective "woody" kept cropping up, and it really sounds like that particular bottle was marred by improper storage. It would be interesting to have the same folks try another sample to see, but as Grim mentioned, it's bottle is cost-prohibitive.

That being said, I've been communicating with the person with these bottles, and he's considering opening them and making samples available. I'll drop another line in here if that's the case.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 14 2012, 12:31 AM
Post #13

Master of Oblivion

Hahahahah… you remember that conversation!

No, I ran across it while I was searching for quotes for the Drop Dead Fred Thread. Found a picture of a burlap-covered Hessian ball, too. The whole thread with your remark about the Bazinet, as well as the ball discussion (maybe it was the same thread, even) went down during a time I wasn't here and I saw it for the first time only over the weekend. I'm continually surprised by the sheer quantity of stuff I'm seeing for the first time when looking for Fred quotes. But not by the quality.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Aug 14 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #14

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

If I had the dough to blow I'd rather have a sample of that Premier Fils that was recently discovered. I had a couple of tastes of that Oxygenee Oscar obtained and it was reminiscent of something that came out of a dark basement in Poland.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 14 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

If money were no object, I would overpay by a disgusting margin, then set the bottles in a field at a hundred yards and see what a modern .17 magnum would do them, videotape the whole event and donate the tape to an absinthe museum for posteriority. Then drink some Lush Life or Texas Green and smile like a possum eating briars.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 06:28 PM