Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small cache found, Oxygenee, Bazinet, rums and whiskeys
Jaded Prole
post Aug 15 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #31

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

I've already voiced my opinion that they should apologize to both Phoenix and Artemis, in light of that link proving that they were attempting to shut down the competition for these bottles by removing the original thread.

Jay may be on the road to joining the illustrious list of the banned.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Aug 15 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #32

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

I thought he wasn't a trouble maker?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 15 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #33

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Depends on your definition of trouble maker.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Aug 15 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #34

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

People who talk about what they think.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jay
post Aug 15 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #35

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3695

I've done my best to respect the hosts' preference in any forum I've visited and give the benefit of the doubt whenever possible, but when I see manipulation, rationalization, and blatant hypocrisy all at once, one way or another involving almost every mod of a single forum within one single thread, it's almost like seeing a sign from an angry karmic entity; I can no longer just ignore the crap and focus on how shiny the porcelain is.

It's just alcohol and the internet, so I'm not too worried with it all, but it's still disappointing.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Aug 15 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #36

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Welcome to the free world.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 15 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #37

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Tuff titty, Jay. Someone pays the bills for that shiny porcelain.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 15 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #38

Master of Oblivion

QUOTE(Jay @ Aug 15 2012, 05:55 PM) *
I've done my best to respect the hosts' preference in any forum I've visited and give the benefit of the doubt whenever possible, but when I see manipulation, rationalization, and blatant hypocrisy all at once, one way or another involving almost every mod of a single forum within one single thread, it's almost like seeing a sign from an angry karmic entity; I can no longer just ignore the crap and focus on how shiny the porcelain is.

It's just alcohol and the internet, so I'm not too worried with it all, but it's still disappointing.

Don't be second-guessing yourself on this one. There's a church alongside a two-lane blacktop road in Arkansas. They have a small billboard by the road and I've seen quite a few amusing or thought provoking words on it. Once it was "This blood's for you". Another time, it was "That which you accept, you promote".

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Aug 15 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #39

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Jay @ Aug 14 2012, 07:52 PM) *
I'm embarrassed for anyone who was involved with such duplicity.

Shhhhh…. They're watching

Shabba53
Last Active Today, 03:02 AM

Well, that and you've done nothing to be embarrassed about.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 15 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #40

Master of Oblivion

QUOTE(Jay @ Aug 15 2012, 03:52 AM) *
The WS forum finally came back online a little while ago, and I've already voiced my opinion that they should apologize to both Phoenix and Artemis, in light of that link proving that they were attempting to shut down the competition for these bottles by removing the original thread. I'm neither surprised nor angry at the attempt to secure the bottles (at best, I could have afforded a couple of samples myself), but taking pains to do that while pretending as if that wasn't the case and simultaneously jumping all over the folks who called them out on it is simply pathetic. Honestly, I'm embarrassed for anyone who was involved with such duplicity.

For the record, here's what happened over there:

A first-time poster announced the find of a cache including some bottles of absinthe.

Comments followed, mostly along the lines of skepticism about people coming out of nowhere with something of that sort, and the propriety of announcing such a thing in a first-ever post. One or more admins were active in the discussion. I commented that the marques in question had proved to be disappointing to quite a few people who had tasted them.

The whole thread disappeared, and a new members-only thread was started by chief admin, explaining that the "only" reason the original thread was taken down was to avoid another PF White situation. "PF White" didn't register with me. I thought that maybe there was a con man known as PF White, active or suspected to be active in the matter, so I asked, who is PF White. I was told that it had to do with a bottle of Pernod Fils Blanche that came up for sale in the past. I then recalled (I think) that the bottle in question was actually labeled "White", apparently for the American market. So, PF White = Pernod Fils White. I also recalled the event, which was discussed at great length at WWS, and here. Essentially, a woman had come up with the bottle of PF White and WWS had negotiated with her to buy it. She sold it instead to a person who is a member here (and was a member there, at the time). This engendered some bad blood that obviously lingers to this day.

Back to the new thread at WWS. A member made a comment about a disappearing thread being one way to eliminate competition for an announced absinthe cache. He was accused by an admin of being uncool and invited to leave, which ultimately, he did. It was also explained by another admin that the primary concern was to keep potentially fraudulent sales off the forum, and in addition, to prevent bidding wars among members. In the same breath, an additional desire was expressed - to allow the advisory board at WWS to deal with such sellers, make the the purchase (making the purchase was not stated, but obviously implied by the following), and to make samples available to the membership at an agreeable price.

I pointed out that if there was a policy that such finds should not be announced on the board, but offered for sale to WWS, then so be it, but the poster who made the remark about stifling competition didn't deserve to be attacked, as stifling competition appeared to be not only the result, but the intent.

I was told by an admin that there was no such policy; that WWS simply isn't in the business of connecting sellers with buyers. People who didn't like it were invited to leave.

I pointed out that the original thread had been up for a while (it was a day or less, but a day can be a long time on the Internet) and it could have been shut down without debate, if the rule about selling and buying was the be-all and end-all of the matter.

A couple of admins then accused me of criticizing them for having a life outside the forum and not staying on top of the original thread. I pointed out that at least one admin had been ACTIVE in the original thread, but didn't shut it down.

I was invited to "fuck off".

Then there was a post or two bemoaning the controversy. I responded to the invitation to fuck off with the same, and made a remark about staying of out the kitchen if you can't take the heat. By this I meant that nobody was required to participate in the discussion, but people who saw fit to do so shouldn't be criticized. I pointed out that the way the thread was handled (killing the initial thread, giving contradictory reasons for doing so) would inevitably lead to controversy, absent a membership of people who don't think critically about what they're reading, but just go along.

I was accused by an admin of being a hard-ass, of setting up innocents for slaughter, of having paranoid delusions of subterfuge, of being part of a vocal minority that thrives on attention from creating pointless drama, etc. etc. and invited to go away. I decided that posting any more in the thread was a waste of time.

The discussion went on. Two or three people, notably Jay, continued to debate the admins along the same lines as I had.

It then came to public attention (outside of WWS forum - in my case from a post at the French forum) that Brian, an admin at WWS, was involved with the disposition of the liquor cache in question.

Jay suggested at WWS that an apology was due to me and the other member who was insulted and invited to leave.

Chief admin denied that any apology was due. The buyer of the bottle of Pernod Fils Blanche a couple of years ago was called an asshole and it was implied that he rooked the seller on that occasion. Another admin called him a sleazy low-balling fucktard.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jay
post Aug 15 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #41

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3695

Your dry-humored, detached post is hands down the best synopsis I've ever read about… well, about any damn think that I can think of. I genuinely laughed out loud at a couple of points, despite everything, and for that I salute you.

In other news, Patrick reported yet another bottle found (a ceramic bottle with Cusenier embossed on the bottom), but it appears that it may be a fruit liqueur rather than absinthe.

IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 15 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #42

Master of Oblivion

Thank you.
Cusenier made a lot of stuff other than absinthe, including "a complete range of spirits, liquors, wines and even syrups". At Ornans, they made kirsch. At Charenton, they made vermouth and cassis. In Paris, they made "spirits and liquors" and "various products of the lemonadery, such as punches, mixed toddies, syrups, juleps, sodas and other preparations which are consumed in various ways in the cafes: also made there for pharmacy and perfumery, are lemon balm water and cologne."

Sorry about the font - it's more work than it's worth trying to get the hoodoo out of text cut and pasted from word-processed documents. It's from an old text about Cusenier that I translated many years ago.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Aug 15 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #43

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3876

I believe this is eau d'fuquetard.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 15 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #44

Master of Oblivion

Good one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Patlow
post Aug 16 2012, 01:18 AM
Post #45

Insert gang name here

Member No.: 470

Indeed.

--------------------
L. D. C. - Outer Space Division
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 03:30 PM