Provenance
post Sep 7 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Antipathist of Light

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2442

http://greenhookgin.com/process.html

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 7 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Lab vacuum apparati often use oil. Their application is generally designed for stills accommodating a few liters. A vacuum apparaatus meant to accommodate a 300 liter still may/could well use mercury, I suppose. I'd be curious to know more details of the set up.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Sep 7 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #3

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 4078

Here is a whole line of low-temp/pressure booze, including an absinthe.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/p…randed-spirits/

+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 7 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Vaginafly trap

Where does it say vacuum distillation is used for all those samples? More importantly, where do they have info about their vacuum distillation equipment and the process they employ?

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Sep 7 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 4078

It looks like I read that wrong.
only the absinthe is rotovap, I guess.

so for the absinthe:
http://www.masterofmalt.com/Blog/post/Cold…d-Absinthe.aspx
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 7 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #6

Vaginafly trap

Rotovap? I'm not so sure. In any case, it doesn't look like they're anywhere close to 300 liters.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Sep 7 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 7 2012, 12:30 PM) *
A vacuum apparaatus meant to accommodate a 300 liter still may/could well use mercury

They should use it to make Mad As A Hatter Absinthe.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 7 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Vaginafly trap

Or Dead as a Doornail Absinth advocating the flaming boh_mian method.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 8 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The Greenhook page is nothing but bad advertising copy. There's no such thing as a "mercury vacuum still". A column of mercury (a metal in liquid phase) was originally used to measure atmospheric pressure. It's roughly 30 inches high at normal pressure. It's shorter at lower pressures. These days an analog or digital gauge is used. Note the picture of the analog gauge that goes from zero to thirty on that same page.

The bath for a rotary evaporator could be water or oil. The bigger the boil vessel, the bigger the bath, but three liters is big for a table top evaporator.

The pictures on the masterofmalt page show a (relatively) cheap evaporator, although I can't be 100% sure it's rotary because I don't see the motor.

An evaporator isn't strictly speaking a still, although it makes use of the same physical principles of evaporation and condensation. An evaporator doesn't have to be rotary, and introducing a vacuum (reduced internal system pressure) into a still could be done with an ordinary pot still.

What the rotation does is provide a thin layer of liquid on the upper surface of the rotating boil flask that more readily changes phase to vapor than the surface of the boiling stuff in the rest of the flask. Think of an even film of water on the windshield of your car versus the surface of a lake in a storm. Since the flask is constantly rotating, that calm quiet layer of consistent thickness is continuously made available to the system for phase change.

Twenty liters would be a very big rotary evaporator. I think those exist, but 300 liters? I don't think so. The motor needed to spin that thing would power a Corvair.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 8 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #10

Vaginafly trap

An evaporator isn't strictly speaking a still, although it makes use of the same physical principles of evaporation and condensation.

The technical difference(s) being what, if I may ask?

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 8 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #11

Master of Oblivion

An evaporator is designed to evaporate solvent from a substance in the boil flask with the intent of "cleaning" (for lack of any better word that comes to mind) and then retrieving said substance. The solvent which is evaporated as vapor and then condensed back to liquid is discarded (or maybe recycled for further use, I don't know). When you use it to make an herbal liquor, such as absinthe, it's a sort of backasswards use. The solvents (ethanol and water) carrying the scent molecules are retained after condensation as distillate and it's the stuff left in the boil flask that is discarded. So the difference between an evaporator used for its designed function and used as a still is a matter of from which end of the apparatus you retrieve the good stuff, so to speak. But since it works like a still, it could be called a still.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 8 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #12

Vaginafly trap

Semantics, me thinks.

Functionally in both cases, conventional still vs. evaporator, you put a mixture of fluids which you wish to separate and with the purpose of collecting a desired fraction in purified form. Whether the desired fraction is left in the pot or whether it comes over as the collected condensate seems irrelevant to me. The process is the same. You are separating a mixture according to boiling points. Boiling point being a crude term, but generally understandable and not misleading, for what the process is doing. In layman's terms they're not really different at all, as far as the end result of collecting a desired liquid in a purified state compared to the messy admixture you start with.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 8 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #13

Master of Oblivion

Whether the desired fraction is left in the pot or whether it comes over as the collected condensate seems irrelevant to me.

Except that if the "desired fraction" is a solid, you're not going to find it at the collection end of the process. The intent is entirely relevant to the selection of the device to be used for the process (still vs. evaporator).
In layman's terms they're not really different at all, as far as the end result of collecting a desired liquid in a purified state compared to the messy admixture you start with.

See above. The desired part is liquid in the case of absinthe, but that's not necessarily so with other things that are purified by evaporation, in which case the solvent is only a tool and not what's being sought as a final product.
It's not semantics, it's calling a spade a spade. Sometimes you can get a spade's work done with a hoe, but that don't make it so, ya know?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 8 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #14

Vaginafly trap

If I want to separate dirt from river mud I should use a vacuum still?

Semantics, yes. I can evaporate the liquid by laying the muck on the shore and letting the atmosphere do the work.

But aren't vacuum stills used to obtain those oh so desirable hydrocarbon fuels we're all so dependent on? The fractions of which come across at different points and which we use, not the sludge left behind.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 8 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

If I want to separate dirt from river mud I should use a vacuum still?

No, you should use a rotary evaporator.
I can evaporate the liquid by laying the muck on the shore and letting the atmosphere do the work.

And the wind and the waves and the seagulls will also do their work. Depends upon whether seagull shit and washed-up condoms are desired in your your dirt, I guess.
But aren't vacuum stills used to obtain those oh so desirable hydrocarbon fuels we're all so dependent on?

I don't know, but the vacuum is irrelevant in the discussion of evaporator vs. still for dedicated purposes.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 03:13 AM