Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shows where absinthe ought to make a cameo
Coralyne
post Sep 17 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #1

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 4145

OK, so there's an "Absinthe on TV?" thread already, but I don't see one for "TV that doesn't have absinthe in it, but should". Hence, this post!

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it would be kind of cool to see random people on TV occasionally just hanging out and having some absinthe without anyone setting it on fire or claiming to tripbalz™, etc.

I know about the Carnivale thing, mind you, but I've never seen Carnivale and in any case, it'd be neat to have the stuff show up in other places just because.

Anyhow…to start, I'm thinking that the US series "White Collar" would be prime absinthe territory. For those who haven't seen it, the basic premise is that this guy, previously in prison for art forgery and other miscellaneous acts of highbrow con-artistry, gets out on sort of a work-release program that entails working as a consultant for the FBI. Hi-jinks ensue, and there you have the show.

It's extremely cheesy in parts and certainly profoundly unrealistic in places, and not to everyone's taste, but a fun watch (for me at least) when I'm in the mood to watch pretty people gallivanting around New York City in search of dastardly art thieves and what-have-you. You just can't take it (or yourself) too seriously.

As for why I'd consider WC a good candidate for an absinthe cameo?

Well, firstly, you've got a lead character (Neal Caffrey, played by Matt Bomer) known for his expensive/refined tastes. He's a fan of nice suits and shockingly expensive wine, and, so why not absinthe?

For another thing, you've got his landlady, June, whose palatial NYC abode used to host a speakeasy-type thing back in the day. You just know she's bound to have a cache of pre-ban stashed inside a wall somewhere.

And then you've got Mozzie, the resident conspiracy nerd/BFF-of-protagonist. He'd of course be the one explaining the legalities of absinthe, past and present, whilst tinkering expertly with a fancy MacGyver-esque hot-rod of a fountain.

Another show I could easily see absinthe popping up in is "True Blood". I mean, if it hasn't already; I haven't seen past season 2 yet (don't like cable, feeling too cheap to buy DVDs, hoping/waiting for the rest to show up on Netflix, etc.). Of course there you risk ending up with a sublot involving necrophiliac were-opossums, but I still think it could work.

Anyhow, I'm curious to know if anyone else on here has had the experience of watching a show and being all, "hey, you know what would really work in this scene? Absinthe!", and if so, what show(s), and why?

[also, wasn't sure if this should go here or in General Discussion; feel free to move if it seems out of place here].
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Sep 20 2012, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Antipathist of Light

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2442

Forget the glass teat and settle for life. Carry a flask with absinthe and louche it where you please but perhaps where it's not expected, at work, a diner, a friend's place, a park bench, etc and so forth.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Sep 20 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #3

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

That always turns into a show.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 20 2012, 04:49 AM
Post #4

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Not always. Sometimes it's a clandestine affair.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
G&C
post Sep 20 2012, 05:01 AM
Post #5

Still Master

Member No.: 282

Even then, it's a show…

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 20 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #6

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Taking your pants off again, huh?

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
G&C
post Sep 20 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #7

Still Master

Every chance I get.

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

+Quote Post
Père Ubu
post Sep 20 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #8

Novice dans la Narine Confortable

Member No.: 4095

Isn't the protrayal of spirits, especially in a posotive light, banned by the nazis?

--------------------
Novicio en la acogedora fosa nasal
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Sep 20 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Antipathist of Light

QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 13 2012, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Admin @ Apr 30 2004, 12:00 AM) *
We have stated in the past that we cannot allow the discussion
of home distillation. We must now insist in more detail that
the . . . reviewing and adoration of any home distillation
product/experiment is STRICTLY PROHIBITED on FeeVerte.

Fuck that.

Besançon!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Coralyne
post Sep 20 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #10

Novitiate

QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 19 2012, 06:31 PM) *

Forget the glass teat and settle for life.

Oh, I don't watch a *ton* of television…I was just idly musing about it whilst in transit on a wifi-enabled commuter train and got curious to see if anyone else might have ever mused along similar lines. The post that ensued sounded a lot more interesting in my head than it did once written out, but I couldn't find a way to delete it. Thus it stands as a monument to my unabashed dorkiness, which I am choosing to revel in rather than attempt to hide under a bushel of Pretend Cool. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 19 2012, 06:31 PM) *

Carry a flask with absinthe and louche it where you please but perhaps where it's not expected, at work, a diner, a friend's place, a park bench, etc and so forth.

That sounds like loads of fun! Were it not for California's draconian "open container" laws…which I only just learned apply not only to containers that are actually open, but to containers that have been opened at some point and then re-sealed. Or something like that. I *have* engaged in louching activities at work (during a Special Office Event), which was nifty, though. (I figured it was worth doing after a co-worker informed me that he'd had absinthe both "on fire" and "on a snow cone", but not, as far as I could tell, in the traditional way).
+Quote Post
Coralyne
post Sep 20 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #11

Novitiate

QUOTE(Père Ubu @ Sep 20 2012, 08:02 AM) *

Isn't the protrayal of spirits, especially in a posotive light, banned by the nazis?

I doubt it, otherwise how would they be able to play various renditions of "A Christmas Carol" on tv? biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 20 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #12

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Anyhow, I'm curious to know if anyone else on here has had the experience of watching a show and being all, "hey, you know what would really work in this scene? Absinthe!", and if so, what show(s), and why?

I haven't seen every episode of True Blood, but I'm pretty sure absinthe never made an appearance. The vampires drink only blood or synthetic blood. The whole thing takes place around Shreveport. Not surprisingly, scenes featuring alcohol tend to favor cheap beer and margaritas.
Absinthe could be worked easily into another HBO series, Boardwalk - it takes place in the early 20s.
Treme is another HBO series, set in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. It wouldn't surprise me if absinthe made an appearance. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ted Breaux himself make one.
I've seen every episode of the latter two, and so far there has been no absinthe, not that this is a bad thing.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Sep 20 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #13

Antipathist of Light

QUOTE(Coralyne @ Sep 20 2012, 11:11 AM) *
That sounds like loads of fun! Were it not for California's draconian "open container" laws…which I only just learned apply not only to containers that are actually open, but to containers that have been opened at some point and then re-sealed.

Oh, please. If you're going to go around adhering to every nitpicking little law, how are you ever going to have any fun?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 20 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #14

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

That sounds like loads of fun! Were it not for California's draconian "open container" laws…which I only just learned apply not only to containers that are actually open, but to containers that have been opened at some point and then re-sealed. Or something like that.

The thing about a bottle of liquor in a car is that, when it's sealed, you can say you were taking it home (or somewhere) from the store (or somewhere) with plausible deniabilty. When it's been cracked open, you can still say that, but the suspicion that you've had a nip in the car may come into the picture. Thus, the law makes it easy on the cops - no open containers in the car, period. Open containers outside a car are a different matter in Louisiana, but a lot of things are different here.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
G&C
post Sep 20 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #15

Still Master

Easy enough.
Put it in the trunk and don't let them look unless they have a warrant.

--------------------

No threat is Friendly.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 06:26 AM