Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tails of the Cockatoo, 2013, Each Hurrah Could Be Our Last
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #16

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

It was hot on the porch, so went up inside to taste some things. The Absinthe Mafia plaque (first of its kind) was a gift from Green Imp. The Green Opal was not tasted, just shook and smelled through the rottening cork. It smells like Grandma's wormwood elixir. Some sausages and shrimp poboys were tasted, along with some HG, Blues Cat, 1940s Herbsaint, and Ramos Gin Fizzes. That's my son-in-law Michael with Imp and Grim.
Attached Image

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #17

Master of Oblivion

Attached Image

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #18

Master of Oblivion

Grim poked around and found some things that excited him, including this. Unfortunately, he left it where the dog could get it and it got tasted, tore up in fact.
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #19

Master of Oblivion

Some discussion of why Ted Breaux was not in the house (he had obligations, he said), led to the afore-mentioned drunk dial from Grim, impersonating an industry big shot, which caught Ted in the midst of an interview with a reporterette, or something. Imp had encountered Ted on the street the day before, and had asked him, "didn't you used to be Ted Breaux"? Ted said later he was not fooled, but he seemed discombobulated at the time. Later he called back, saying "Grim, where are you? - I know it's you".

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #20

Master of Oblivion

Dawn found us in the city (to avoid the rush). The streets were almost deserted at the time (not so much later), and every turn I took was wrong, so we did a lot of walking before coffee at the Community Coffee House (the Cafe du Monde, unlike the street, was crowded with Iowedgians, even at that hour). Grim was warned not to touch the horses or the golf carts of the cops, which you don't do in NOLA unless you're a pretty girl or you like having your ass beat and thrown into an alley. Not sure that Grim wouldn't like it either way, though.
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #21

Master of Oblivion

Duplicate post deleted

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:21 PM
Post #22

Master of Oblivion

For what it's worth, Tales of the Cocktail exists primarily to bring dollars into New Orleans. Secondarily, spirits companies use it to promote their wares, both to the general public in the form of free tastings, seminars, and lectures, and to industry insiders in the form of more private gatherings. There are also strictly unsanctioned events such as naked pool parties. Grim managed to crash both of the latter two in the course of the weekend. Many of the public events are at or near the Monteleone Hotel, a grand old edifice of NOLA, at which we had a room. This is the carousel bar at the Monteleone. It doesn't turn fast enough to make you puke. They will make you a Ramos, but they are not as good as mine. They're good, but they're kind of dry and powdery.
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #23

Master of Oblivion

Industry promotion; I like this one.
Attached Image
Some outfit from Alaska had a snow machine on top of a Winnebango. I thought it was cigar ashes or fallout in the air at first - looked like the beginning stages of snow, but it couldn't be, not in NoLa. Then I saw a pile of sadly foreshortened snow near the vehicle, getting no grip on the 110-degree asphalt.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #24

Master of Oblivion

The Herbsaint room. This year they were letting no one in without a wrist band, but I managed to schmooze the door guard with Imp's input, and join the mob (all the swag, such as free tote bags, was mostly gone by that time - Imp said there was a bum's rush on that stuff as soon as the doors opened, but I was tres occupe at the time, enjoying a Ramos at the Carousel Bar, courtesy of Tirador's charming wife).
Ted, his protege (I forgot her name, sorry), and Tirador in an industry discussion, and me in my Arkansas disguise (Alan Moss opined that the overhauls constituted over-dressing in the NoLa heat). But I like them; there are lots of pockets. If only I had some swag ...
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #25

Master of Oblivion

Tirador's absinthe will be out soon (I think). The Amer dit Picon and Violette have some of the nicest labels I've ever seen - http://www.goldenmoondistillery.com/products_new.html. I'm looking forward to trying the gin in a Ramos very soon (thanks again, Tirador).
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #26

Master of Oblivion

Green Imp did his usual thing, and as usual, people tried to walk off with stuff, but this year they were all busted.
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 24 2013, 09:03 PM
Post #27

Master of Oblivion

Pierre Verte is involved in an endeavor with some people from Utah (I think, but prolly not Mormons). I won't go into details because I'm not sure I understand them and don't want to get it wrong. In any case, that crew had rented a house on Bourbon Street for their promotion. Green Imp is talking to the Bordelon brothers (owners of the absinthe museum in New Orleans). Pierre, Tirador, and Grim in the background are talking about bitters. I tasted a lot of bitters there. Interesting, but too bitter for me. There was a swimming pool with women in it, and women walking through the house in towels. I went to have a piss, and Grim said there was a woman in the bathroom, but not to worry, she let him piss. I said, yeah right, but sure enough there was woman in there, brushing her hair, dressed now (Grim said she wasn't quite, when he went in). She was friendly, but she directed me to a different bathroom. I know, my banana, is older than the rest, and my hair is a tangled bo-retta ...
Shabba and Larspeart dropped by there later.
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hillbilly
post Jul 24 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #28

Can't get right

Group: Members
Member No.: 4120

That was a flat out awesome read. Thank you.
opined that the overhauls constituted over-dressing in the NoLa heat). But I like them
It's hard to beat a good pair of well broke in overalls.
She was friendly, but she directed me to a different bathroom.
I hate it when that happens.

--------------------
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Them's what picks together.…sticks together.
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Jul 24 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #29

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

QUOTE(Hillbilly @ Jul 24 2013, 02:42 PM) *

That was a flat out awesome read, as per. Thank you.

Ditto, and slightly amended, for complete accuracy.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jul 24 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #30

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

Is that G&C I see?
Wish I had been there but I'm mired down in work, maybe next year.

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2018 - 07:36 AM