2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heavy residue on glass? - La Ptite
Trick
post Nov 24 2013, 05:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3310

Normally I purchase from LDF but I just purchased a bottle of La Ptite from a new online vendor. However, this bottle left a heavy white residue inside the glass that I've never seen before from La Ptite. It looks like a very heavy soap scum. The only info that I could find suggested that the residue is a sign of an inferior absinthe.

Is this true?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Nov 24 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Vaginafly trap

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2953

First, it shouldn't make a difference where you buy any commercial product. A product shouldn't be effected by which merchant sells it. Although food and drink can raise questions of proper storage and shipping. Unlikely that that is in play in this case though.

"Soap scum" residue in your glass is almost certainly a reflection of the oil content of the product. La P'tite absinthe is simply not an oil-rich absinthe in my experience, so the scum is a whole different problem than the usual one as far as anyone thinking it's an inferior absinthe.

Your bottle probably came from a poorly run batch and I'm guessing probably tastes like shit. Probably enough tails in it to make a glass of Kübler taste clean by comparison. Separating compounds by boiling point, as distillation does, means the heavier, higher-boiling-point oils come over more as the temp rises late in the run. Cut your heart too late and it's going to be laden with gunk that can coat glass with an unseemly film. And, as I said, tastes like shit.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Greytail
post Nov 24 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 587

Are you speaking of the milky white legs that sometimes will lace the glass when swirled? Sometimes these are present in some high quality absinthes I have had and they taste excellent. Sometimes they are not present and these are from the same bottling. I don't know if water ratios or tenperature play a part in whether or not you will see them or not.

Like Tibro said, they are indictive of the essential oils present in the bottle.

I can't speak to your absinthe in question, but have seen this in absinthes from a certain part of the SouthWestern US. Surely these milky legs were not indictive of an inferior distillation.

--------------------
RoseBud....rosebud
+Quote Post
Trick
post Nov 24 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #4

Tibro - Thanks for all the info. It does taste pretty bad. blink.gif Have you ever received a bad batch bottle? Should I notify the vendor or am I SOL?

I'm always a little apprehensive when purchasing from a new vendor. Another thing that I noticed were the bottles and labels of some of the bottles that I ordered (Clandestine 72, Kubler) were slightly different when compared to the same products that I ordered from LDF. Clandestine labels looked washed out and lack detail. Wasn't sure if there was such a thing as "knock-off" absinthe.

I hope that doesn't makes me sound too paranoid.
+Quote Post
Trick
post Nov 24 2013, 09:30 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Greytail @ Nov 24 2013, 02:12 PM) *

Are you speaking of the milky white legs that sometimes will lace the glass when swirled? Sometimes these are present in some high quality absinthes I have had and they taste excellent. Sometimes they are not present and these are from the same bottling. I don't know if water ratios or tenperature play a part in whether or not you will see them or not.

Like Tibro said, they are indictive of the essential oils present in the bottle.

I can't speak to your absinthe in question, but have seen this in absinthes from a certain part of the SouthWestern US. Surely these milky legs were not indictive of an inferior distillation.

Thanks Greytail,

I'm talking about a white residue left on the glass. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Greytail
post Nov 24 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 587

Ok. Thanks for the pic. Definitely not what i had in mind. Sorry for your loss.

--------------------
RoseBud....rosebud
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 24 2013, 09:54 PM
Post #7

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

Those aren't legs, I've never seen anything like that before, ever.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Nov 24 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #8

Vaginafly trap

You sure you didn't leave the absinthe in that glass to evaporate? There's such a singular, clear line. No scum up to the lip where you would have drank from it. No successive lines as the amount in the glass was drank up. It looks staged to be honest. Not really indicative of real life drinking. Even drinking shit, there should be a scum line where you up-turned the glass to pour it down the zinc.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Trick
post Nov 25 2013, 12:52 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Tibro @ Nov 24 2013, 05:08 PM) *

You sure you didn't leave the absinthe in that glass to evaporate? There's such a singular, clear line. No scum up to the lip where you would have drank from it. No successive lines as the amount in the glass was drank up. It looks staged to be honest. Not really indicative of real life drinking. Even drinking shit, there should be a scum line where you up-turned the glass to pour it down the zinc.

Tibro,

No, I didn't let it evaporate. I noticed the scum on the glass as soon as I started to drink it. The line in the picture is where I had drank it down to before I decided that I didn't want anymore. It probably sat like that for about ten minutes before I dumped it. I understand what you're saying about the successive lines and pour out line. I think they just didn't come out in the picture. In person, you could see the original line which started around the top of the scalloped part of the glass. It just wasn't as dark as the other line that sat for 10 minutes. I think the pour out line is on the other side of the glass, dead center, but I'm not positive. I looked at my pic again and I think begins about an inch on either side of the flash reflection in the center.

I really appreciate your help but I can assure you this isn't staged. Frankly, I don't know why someone would go through the trouble to stage such a thing. I've been a member here since 2008 and just wanted to get some input as I've never seen something like this before.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Nov 25 2013, 09:13 AM
Post #10

Vaginafly trap

Appearances can be deceiving and truth is stranger than a public drama. Life undoes my nerves that way. And that's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.

Drinking CO seems to be more of a gamble than ever these days. And I prefer to gambol when I drink.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Alan
post Nov 25 2013, 11:33 AM
Post #11

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 2340

QUOTE(Trick @ Nov 24 2013, 01:19 PM) *

Should I notify the vendor or am I SOL?

I'm always a little apprehensive when purchasing from a new vendor. Another thing that I noticed were the bottles and labels of some of the bottles that I ordered (Clandestine 72, Kubler) were slightly different when compared to the same products that I ordered from LDF. Clandestine labels looked washed out and lack detail. Wasn't sure if there was such a thing as "knock-off" absinthe.

I hope that doesn't makes me sound too paranoid.

I'd suggest you discuss this with the vendor. Refer them to this thread. Reputable dealers like to be seen to be resolving problems.

The Clandestine 72, otherwise known as La Capricieuse, will look different because it's a different colour label:

IPB Image

But it shouldn't look washed out.

+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Nov 25 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #12

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Who the fuck is Prick?

I think, based on the description, that the bottle you bought was probably exposed to and ruined by sunlight over an extended period of time, thus the faded label. You should complain to the vendor and seek a replacement.
As for the "scum" on the glass, it is indicative of heavy oil content. Not a bad thing.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Nov 25 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #13

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The louche is very weak for a heavy oil content, though. I don't think I've ever seen a slick left in a glass by absinthe, either.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
G&C
post Nov 25 2013, 06:07 PM
Post #14

Still Master

Member No.: 282

Artemis, I think that what you are seeing is the residue. There is no absinthe left in the glass.

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Nov 25 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

That's a revelation. I studied the picture way too long looking for the alleged residue. For sure I've never seen anything like that, and I wouldn't drink it, either.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2018 - 07:55 PM