Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Premier Absinthe
Artemis
post Jan 21 2014, 11:44 PM
Post #1

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I had always thought that "Premier" was supposed to be descriptive of a certain brand of absinthe (in short, advertising copy), but it wasn't, it was the family name of the man who started the distillery. Anyway, someone posted a 1930s newspaper article about him at the French forum and I translated it. Rather than chew my cabbage twice, I'll just link it here rather than post the whole mess.

http://www.museeabsinthe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2719

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jan 22 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

Thanks. Great work, I could feel the pain of dumping those great vats into the river. Though I've never had the chance to taste Premier fils. I'm grateful for the reawakening, however gradual, of the green fairy.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Jan 22 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

I think I tried it. I remember it as being quite light and floral.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Jan 22 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 4078

Nice work! Thanks for the translation!
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 23 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

Thanks, guys.
It proved to be not as informative as I had hoped at first glance, but it contained some nice details, such as the dumping of the absinthe, and the fact that the government promised to compensate people and never delivered (go figure).
I'm not sure if I've ever tasted Premier.
Some further rudimentary research indicates that probably a lot of wormwood came from the Vercors area and the Dauphine Alps in the late 19th century, so I doubt Premier was the only distiller to use it. I don't know what the situation is today, but surely the same quantity of wormwood isn't produced there today, even if the quality is the same, which maybe it's not. It goes to an issue that's been discussed here and at the French forum - why aren't people making something that good anymore?

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Hillbilly
post Jan 23 2014, 03:57 AM
Post #6

Can't get right

Member No.: 4120

Thank you for the translation. That was a very enjoyable read. Even for a simple fellow like me.
Although I did feel a tinge of sadness reading where after all those years of hard work, and growing your passion into a thriving business, to have it yanked out from under you and told NO MORE! Having your livelihood stolen by an ignorant mass of misinformed gubment and public officials.

Yes, I felt a small piece of his pain.

And shame.

--------------------
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Them's what picks together.…sticks together.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jan 23 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #7

Absinthe Mafia

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 22 2014, 08:08 PM) *

It goes to an issue that's been discussed here and at the French forum - why aren't people making something that good anymore?

I would say that what was being made by then was the product of a century of knowledge and an infrastructure of agriculture that no longer exists. I also doubt that there was as much government regulation as the liquor industry has today -- especially toward Absinthe. Finally, the period in which pre-ban Absinthe was made was a time of high craft where products were a mark of pride, not simply commodities to squeeze as much profit out of as possible from production shortcuts to market. Even then, as the article states, " The great producers could be counted on a few fingers. "

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jan 23 2014, 02:12 PM
Post #8

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

Industrial agriculture is a deal with the devil.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jan 23 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

I doubt that the devil of industrial agriculture was as sinister then as it is today. I'd be inclined to think it might have been as benign, in many ways, as much of modern mom and pop production is today. Better living through chemistry and all.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 23 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Master of Oblivion

Which brings to mind a question I might as well pose here. With some states easing up on cannabis, someone asked me (not in these exacts words), how is the supply side being addressed? I didn't know. Is the stuff being furnished by the government? I know the federal government has (or used to) a cannabis farm at the University of Mississippi. Or will growers be licensed and taxed? Or what? It's an agriculture that could put a lot of people in the green, so to speak. Not that they aren't already, but I mean legally. The government can always find ways to fuck such a thing up, but at least it's not the nightmare that prohibition is.

EDIT: I received an answer privately that satisfies my curiosity, so nobody needs to address it further. I can understand why it's a sensitive subject, and it was out of place in this thread to begin with, but we don't do moving, hiding, and deleting of posts here, so I'll leave it up.

This post has been edited by Artemis: Jan 23 2014, 09:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 23 2014, 05:45 PM
Post #11

Master of Oblivion

I would say that what was being made by then was the product of a century of knowledge and an infrastructure of agriculture that no longer exists.

Well it's not that the question remained unanswered. I answered that way myself, but it's nice to get validation from old published sources. Old commies, too.
a time of high craft where products were a mark of pride, not simply commodities to squeeze as much profit out of as possible from production shortcuts to market
Speaking of that, also over there, it was announced (for the how many-eth time?) that Pernod is going to make a real absinthe. Yawn. Someone (an American, actually, I think the same person who posed the first question) said yay! I disagreed, to put it mildly.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 23 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #12

Master of Oblivion

after all those years of hard work, and growing your passion into a thriving business

Check this out:
IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jan 23 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Absinthe Mafia

Nice!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 23 2014, 11:32 PM
Post #14

Master of Oblivion

I tried to find photos of the town today, but none of them were satisfactory. I did run across that old bill of sale, and the size of the factory amazed me. Apparently that's the place in the suburbs that was built after the original at the Place de Fontaine in town was too small. If I understand correctly, when they resumed operations to make pastis, it was back at the Place de Fontaine, and not at the bigger place. It's likely gone today. Note that the bill of sale is not for liquor of any kind, but for "empty sacks", 250 of them at 35 (cents, I guess) each for a total of 70 (francs, I guess).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hillbilly
post Jan 24 2014, 01:44 AM
Post #15

Can't get right

Member No.: 4120

That header is a thing of beauty.

--------------------
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Them's what picks together.…sticks together.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 01:04 PM