menu 2
menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Franz Liszt, Absintheur, How many mistakes can you count?
Absinthesizer
post Mar 9 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2082

An extract from the diary of Carl Lachmund, quoted in volume 3 of Alan Walker's biography of Franz Liszt (p. 412):

Sometimes in fact he drinks two bottles of cognac and as much wine. Now, while at Bayreuth [July 1882] he has taken it into his head that he must have absinthe. Where will this end. He cannot stand that terrible stuff very long.

To which Walker adds this footnote:

Absinthe had been introduced in Paris in the 1850s and was by now a "fashionable" drink among the intelligentsia. There were devastating consequences attached to drinking this milky-green fluid on a regular basis, including blindness, loss of memory, and paralysis. Nonetheless, the dreamy euphoria associated with the beverage led to the introduction of "Absinthe hour" in the cafes and restaurants of the Left Bank, where it was popular among artists in search of inspiration. Van Gogh was said to have cut off his ear while under its influence, while Toulouse-Lautrec became so addicted to it that he blended it with cognac - a beverage to which he attached the appellation "the earthquake," for it did indeed change one's centre of gravity, sometimes permanently. During World War I absinthe was finally banned by the French government, which attributed the poor showing of their army against the Germans to its widespread use month the troops.

This volume was published in 1997 when misinformation about absinthe was the norm; even so, I hope Walker's Liszt scholarship is of higher quality. (It is the most highly regarded Liszt biography in English.) The interesting part is Lachmund's diary entry, which suggests that absinthe's unsavory reputation was already well established.

--------------------
Redundancy is alive, and well, and thriving.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 10 2014, 01:51 AM
Post #2

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

By 1997 there were no more absinthe drinkers and promoters (people who actually knew something about the stuff) to refute the by then back-shelved load of crap, so, like you said, it was the norm. Even from its origin, there were obviously plenty of people who swallowed the propaganda; after all, it was ultimately successful. But all Lachmun says here is that it was "terrible", and considered from the standpoint of its alcoholic content compared to other drinks, it was definitely that, especially for an alcoholic. I would guess that Walker read much more into Lachmun's remark than was intended.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Mar 11 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Vaginafly trap

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2953

Which is pretty much what academia is all about. I mean, what else is there to do in an ivory tower?

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Mar 11 2014, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

I've heard drinking takes place, but those are only rumors.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Mar 12 2014, 05:37 AM
Post #5

Vaginafly trap

I've heard that referred to as "research".

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Mar 12 2014, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Don't knock it. I've been researching liquors and cocktails in depth for some time. A fascinating field with much to learn.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Mar 12 2014, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Vaginafly trap

It's a notably well attended field of study, but you have to watch out for those boorish souls eager to regurgitate the knowledge they've ingested.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 12:16 AM