Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New York Times Article
Kirk
post Jul 12 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #106

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

That was an obscure reference to a heated argument about "natural, nitrite free ham" I had with 2 I phone toting "experts", I ended up telling them I didn't need an I phone in my hand to tell that they don't know the first thing about ham. One said it was the rear leg of a pig, the other said it could be made without nitrates, both are bullxit, as one is a designation of a pork appendage as in the ham, not A ham and the other being an outright fraud, where they feed nitrogen to celery until it's saturated, then they cure the pork haunch with the resultant "vegetable juice" and call it "all natural, no nitrates used"
I think it is hilarious and a bit irritating when you are trying to teach someone something, or argue a subject you know about with a person who is continually googling the conversation or whatever it is they are doing with those devices, and coming back with random quotes that they do not understand, yet repeat to your face. It's like when someone says " I don't know an art, but I know what I like". Of course they also said ham was a new product and part of the industrialization of our world, therefore inherently bad, anything from this period is bad. I had to point out that they have been curing flesh with nitrites and nitrates for thousands of years, look at king Tut for confirmation.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jul 12 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #107

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

You're right, of course. The stuff I was referring to is done the old fashioned way with peanut fed pigs that aren't raised in industrial farms (CAFOs). Edwards hams and bacon are not BS organic but they beat the crap you find in the supermarket.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jul 12 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #108

Alberga Schutzkorps

Group: Members
Member No.: 1939

Artemis, I think that in the second picture you posted is not the Deadly nightshade but Woody.

Nightshade, that is. Solanum dulcamara. Deadly it can be, though.

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 13 2014, 01:12 AM
Post #109

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Thank you, Bruno I think you're correct. Flowers such as those in my photo are all over the Internet associated with Belladonna, so I never questioned it. But now I've seen a photo of the real deadly nightshade (maybe - again it's the Internet) - some of the leaves are purple. Apparently the two are often confused, but Belladonna seems to be much more rare - many people who think they've seen it never have. And it seems the woody version is toxic, but nearly as much as the other.
http://confessionsofacraftywitch.blogspot....knew-about.html
Are there a lot of witches in Finland?

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 13 2014, 01:22 AM
Post #110

Master of Oblivion

50 Caliber BMG Revolver

Practically useless, is my guess. No need for three shots - after the first one the shooter's entire focus would be on his busted eardrums and the hole in his forehead made by the hammer upon recoil. The noise would probably startle a dinosaur, but that's about it - if you were close enough to hit him with that thing, it would probably be all over for you before you pulled the trigger. And unless you hit him in the brain (about the size of that bullet, probably), all it would do is piss him off.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 13 2014, 01:27 AM
Post #111

Master of Oblivion

That was an obscure reference to a heated argument about "natural, nitrite free ham"

wink.gif
It was a discussion in which I was not involved, but at arm's reach from me. It rapidly devolved to the point I increased the distance to three arms, just in case.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Jul 13 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #112

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3876

This is the sort of greatness that I used to read in the Village Voice in Stan Mack's Real-life Funnies.
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jul 13 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #113

Alberga Schutzkorps

The only witches I have encountered are the adorabe Finnish Easter witches:

http://finland.fi/public/default.aspx?cont…p;culture=en-US

who nowadays tend to be much older, less adorned and prefer cash to chocolate eggs…

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 13 2014, 09:59 PM
Post #114

Master of Oblivion

The puddings sound good, especially the malt pudding.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jul 13 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #115

Alberga Schutzkorps

It is, like solid beer (stout) without the alcohol. But the looks of it might scare people away.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jul 13 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #116

Alberga Schutzkorps

QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 9 2014, 04:47 AM) *

Nope. We (Marc, Sevil, Rob Fritz and myself) recently visited Christophe Racine and he said exactly the same thing about wormwood, pharmaceutical and farmed. He had samples of each that he had us smell. The pharmaceutical wormwood smelled like… nothing.

My wild guess only, but could it be that pharmaceutical A.a. is not necessarily harvested only when it is blooming, but during the whole season? I have some from a German supplier and there are definitely no flower buds in the bag.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 13 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #117

Master of Oblivion

The flowers are the most desirable part in terms of fragrance, but people use leaves and even stems, even for absinthe. It follows that for products wherein the fragrance is of less importance, or maybe no importance, they don't even wait for the plant to flower, but just use the whole thing, as soon as the plant is big enough to provide. I've never seen a flower in the wormwood sold by witch shops and the like.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sbmac
post Jul 13 2014, 11:51 PM
Post #118

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3876

Yup. Here's two different takes on AA. The photo on the left is from an herb company that sells to aromatherapists and herbalists for oils and tea. Perhaps witches not concerned with quality might be tempted to use this in some fashion as well, Artemis. There certainly are no buds in there; it's mostly chunks of stalks that are nothing more than hard pieces of wood. They claim it's high-grade, and tested. Tested for being nearly pulverized, over-dried dust, perhaps. On the right, is some sent here by a great distiller, that he grew and dried himself. The stuff on the left is so void of life, I can't imagine anyone using it for anything other than keeping bugs out of one's guitar case. If a clandestine distiller were handed this, the absinthe would certainly suffer.

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 14 2014, 12:25 AM
Post #119

Master of Oblivion

That's the stuff, in both cases.
I encountered a baggy of those floor sweepings on an herb rack in a brewing supply store in New Orleans. I showed it to my son in law and we had a laugh. The proprietor seemed curious, but I didn't mention it to him; didn't want to insult him and I wasn't there to educate. No doubt many a beginning HGer has used the like, but it can provide nothing but bitterness, in more than one sense of the word. Perhaps witches are only concerned with magical properties, but one would think that even they, or maybe especially they, given the obvious esthetic difference between the two, would scorn that dessicated trash once they had seen and smelled the stuff on the right.

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 01:09 PM