Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New York Times Article
Provenance
post Jul 7 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #16

Antipathist of Light

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2442

As I approached, I heard the gentle dribble of icy water. Just off the path stood a long basin carved out of a hollowed-out log, into which a stream flowed from a spigot overgrown with verdant moss, almost the same color as the traditional green version of the drink, absinthe verte.

But the bottle I had been promised was nowhere to be seen — spirited off, I imagined, by the Green Fairy herself, or some other mythical inhabitant of the Val-de-Travers.

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jul 5 2014, 02:16 PM) *
I'm not going to read it.

No loss.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jul 7 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #17

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Yup, thems were the kinda werdz I thought there could be lesser of.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 7 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #18

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

It did occur to me that if the guy had been to one of those hen parties in Europe, surely he had seen a fountain in action and would know there was no absinthe in it, so I did think, no way he could have written that, but I got tired of thinking about it before I got to the editor fucking things up solution, which should have occurred to me immediately, but then that archery story was almost 30 years ago. In any case, I prematurely said he should fuck off, but the NY Times is another matter. Very rarely, if I click on a link to something of theirs, it actually comes up. Most often, all that comes up is a sign-up page. As I said, it's never going to happen. I detest them. But apart from that, I can understand signing up to write something and have it posted, but to read what's been posted? I can even understand pay to read, but if it's free anyway, what the fuck do they care who I am or (as is more likely) pretend to be?
But the bottle I had been promised was nowhere to be seen — spirited off, I imagined, by the Green Fairy herself, or some other mythical inhabitant of the Val-de-Travers.

Or an unshaven inhabitant of the Czech Republic.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jul 7 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #19

Alberga Schutzkorps

Group: Members
Member No.: 1939

He placed a few dry seeds from a different bag in my other hand, which I crushed with my fingers. The room filled with a flowery, fragrant perfume, like that of a strange, possibly poisonous plant.

“That’s the real wormwood,” he said.

Aren't wormwood seeds almost microscopic? Maybe he meant the flowers?

--------------------
Pĺ detta dricka vi ĺtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 7 2014, 10:11 PM
Post #20

Master of Oblivion

Yes.
Probably.
Even the flowers are small.
Poisonous plants can smell pretty good indeed.
Oleander, for example, will kill you deader than dead.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 7 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #21

Master of Oblivion

Okay, so I rolled the dice and clicked on it, and was rewarded by the article instead of the attitude inspection. Too many words, so I did a speed read. Hard to find any fault. More of a travelogue than a dissection of absinthe, but that's not a bad thing. Not enough gonzo for me, but that's not for everyone.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jul 7 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #22

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

Comme un livre, trop de mots …

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Hillbilly
post Jul 8 2014, 03:58 AM
Post #23

Can't get right

Group: Members
Member No.: 4120

Christophe Racine, a former druggist and onetime bootlegger, explained “While absinthe was banned, no one had the real wormwood, but used pharmaceutical wormwood."
Is that what made most Swiss la bleues, from what I've read from reviews, to have been almost carbon copies of each other, and just "ok"?
Now try this,---“That’s the real wormwood,” he said.
Now that the Swiss are again farming their own wormwood, the la bleues of today would be better now than just a few short years ago?

--------------------
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Them's what picks together.…sticks together.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Jul 8 2014, 06:11 AM
Post #24

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Or an unshaven inhabitant of the Czech Republic.

?????????????????
IPB Image

Prolly only spirits away rouge assbinths.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 8 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #25

Master of Oblivion

I found that comment confusing and wrote it off to Swiss distillateur bluster, of which there has never been a shortage, but now that I think about it, there was probably a failure to communicate - I'm confident he was talking about fennel. As previously noted, only Florence fennel is suitable for absinthe. Not too many years ago I was researching herbs for an absinthe "study group" (cough, cough) and learned that as of that year, the vast majority of fennel grown in Europe was destined (as it had been for many years) for the pharmaceutical industry (you know, to flavor cough syrup and the like). That's commonly known as Indian fennel (Jack called it roadside fennel) and good absinthe can't be made with it. And yes, it might well be responsible, at least in part, for the famous cow pasture nuance of clandestine Swiss bleues.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 8 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #26

Master of Oblivion

That would also explain "a few dry seeds from a different bag" being crushed and giving off a perfume - that's sweet fennel. As Bruno noted, wormwood seeds are almost too small to see, let alone crush, and they aren't used for making absinthe anyway. They probably don't have much of a scent either, although I've never stuck my snout into a handful - that's inviting respiratory distress - smelling wormwood is risky bidness.

--------------------
+Quote Post
eric
post Jul 8 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #27

Instrument of God's will

Member No.: 27

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jul 8 2014, 06:19 AM) *
only Florence fennel is suitable for absinthe.

While there is an element of truth in that statement, it is not completely correct. PF stated in their literature that the fennel they used came from the Gard region of France (fenouil du Gard). I would wager that this was not the same as Florence fennel. It more than likely was the same sweet fennel (fenouil doux) that is still produced in southern France for the pharmaceutical industry. Of course one can make a very good absinthe with the seeds derived from sweet Italian bulb fennel or "Florance fennel". I would tend to believe that the majority of Absinthe produced in France and Switzerland prior to the ban did not use it.

--------------------
Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jul 8 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #28

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

I agree. I have some fennel doux growing in my yard -- a large plant into its fourth year -- and the fruit is very sweet and reminiscent of that found in the best absinthes.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jul 8 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #29

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

du Gard
ou
de garde
?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jul 8 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #30

Master of Oblivion

Fennel doux (doux=sweet) is grown in southern France for pharmaceuticals, and it was also used by Pernod Fils (according to Eric).
BUT pharmaceutical fennel is the fennel that was used during the ban, thus leading to inferior absinthe (according to Racine).
Something doesn't jibe ...

I have been using the term "Florence fennel" loosely (and even said so previously) to mean sweet fennel as opposed to bitter fennel (roadside fennel, pharmaceutical fennel). Florence fennel is sweet fennel, but not all sweet fennel is Florence fennel. Eric is correct about that. Allow me to clarify: only SWEET fennel (as opposed to bitter fennel) is suitable for absinthe.

Sweet fennel is NOT grown in southern France (or anywhere else in Europe) for the pharmaceutical industry, and here is why:
The European Pharmacopoeia REQUIRES that pharmacopeial grade fennel seed contain not less than four percent volatile oils. AND that volatile oil must be composed of not less than 15% fenchone.
Fenchone is a bitter mixture with a camphor-like odor and flavor. It's what makes roadside fennel nasty.
Bitter fennel oil contains 18-22% fenchone. Sweet fennel oil contains little or none (but it contains a large amount, relatively, of anethole).
The crop grown for the pharmaceutical industry is bitter fennel (roadside fennel). Case closed.
Bitter fennel was almost certainly never used by Pernod Fils for absinthe. If Racine is correct, it was used by bootleggers; he doesn't say why, but apparently they didn't know any better, or it was all they could get, the agriculture for sweet fennel having turned exclusively to the vegetable market after the vast market for the seed collapsed with the absinthe ban.

In summary, I should have been saying that only "sweet" fennel is suitable for absinthe, not that only "Florence" fennel is suitable. Although, Florence fennel is the best sweet fennel and I can prove that with numbers too, if I have to. If Pernod Fils was using sweet fennel grown in France, it was Florence fennel grown in France, or, it was a different variety but with a similar anethole content. There were no doubt considerations other than anethole content for not importing from Italy, such as Customs duties or the like. So, I apologize for engendering confusion by not being precise with words. It wasn't because I didn't know the difference precisely, it was because I was lazy. But I was right about everything else. harhar.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 06:32 PM