> papa
delirium
post Aug 6 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 4030

Most of you probably know this Hemingway quote:

Got tight on absinthe last night. Did knife tricks.

I searched the web and it is attributed to the Frieze Magazine, where it is said that it's from a letter to Guy Hickok in 1931. I'm just wondering can this letter be found printed in some collection, or anywhere?

I checked from Google Books Ernest Hemingway's Selected Letters from 1917-1961 and found a few of which here is a couple mentions:

To Maxwell Perkins, January 1929 (p.293):
"Would you send Scott $100.00 I borrowed from him in North Philadelphia. I didn't want to draw it till after the dirst of the year to hold down my last years income figure.

Have bought fine 9 x 9 ft. insect proof tent with a sewed in ground cloth so we can camp out at the Marquesas where Walso caught the big tarpon if you want. There's lots of shooting if you like to shoot - got 9 snipe yesterday after I knocked off work - 20 a couple of days before - 15 before that. They are good with the Bordeaux. Have some pre-war absinthe but it makes too crazy dreams so am saving it for you and Waldo."

To Maxwell Perkins, Feb 1940 ( p.500)
"Dear Max:

Well here is your regular Sunday hangover letter. We won again at the pelota last night and stayed up till three a.m. So today will have to take Marty to the movies as a present for being drunk Saturday night I guess. Started out on absinthe, drank a bottle of good red wine with dinner, shifted to vodka in town before the pelota game and then battened it down with whiskeys and sodas unti 3. a.m. Feel good today. But not like working."

- - - -

…oh it seems to be picked from Barnaby Conrad's book. I wonder where he found that letter…

--------------------
"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink." -Shunryu Suzuki
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 6 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Conrad didn't necessarily "find" the letter. He may have been quoting some source (which itself quoted all or part of the letter). Maybe that magazine did the same. It would seem possible that the letter in its entirety has never been published.
Most of you probably know this Hemingway quote:
Got tight on absinthe last night. Did knife tricks.

I'll bite.
That quote has always irritated me. When I first read it, I had to look up "tight". It has to be the stupidest word for drunk that I've ever seen. Hemingway probably didn't make it up, but in any case, he was a major league asshole.
Anybody who would find bull fighting worthy of anything but contempt is an asshole. I'd love to see a "matador" in a rodeo arena, no weapons, no extraneous bullshit, no interference from the rodeo clowns, when they let one of those bulls out of the gate. That "fight" would last about four seconds.
Apart from that, I'm not kidding in the least when I say that for me, references to absinthe in connection with that contemptible asshole go as far toward giving it a bad name as any of the yellow press in France that got it banned.
Oh, and he was vastly overrated as a writer, too.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Aug 6 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

Raramente se ha hablado más de la verdad.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Aug 6 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #4

Remembering all my Imps

Member No.: 12

QUOTE(Artemis @ Aug 6 2014, 10:18 AM) *
Anybody who would find bull fighting worthy of anything but contempt is an asshole. I'd love to see a "matador" in a rodeo arena, no weapons, no extraneous bullshit, no interference from the rodeo clowns, when they let one of those bulls out of the gate. That "fight" would last about four seconds.

I'd pay for a front row seat, but I'd want the rest of matador's crew in that arena, so the bull could give them "the horns" too.

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 7 2014, 02:00 AM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

Indeed. The bull would make short work of the whole crew.
Looking for validation, I mean I can't be the only one who thinks this way about Hemingway, I found this, and had to feel a little sorry for the man.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/p...de-2294619.html
But still,
The critic Max Eastman complained that his prose style had become the equivalent of "false hair on the chest".

There it is. That verbalizes what I've always thought about his writing.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 7 2014, 05:44 AM
Post #6

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Interesting article. I'm no Hemingway fan, certainly not of the image of the man as it's come to me, and not especially of the writing. But I find the intersection of the two mesmerizing. In general. The intersection of the individual who happens to be an author or other creative type and the creative output of the person as an independent product free and clear of the creator. You know, like the personalities of accountants as cross-referenced with their ability to crunch numbers. But amongst creative types. Except, well, not as cause and effect, just correlation. If there is one. Creative types seem a more interesting subject to observe and ponder than accountant types. But maybe that's just me.

I've known a few creative types. Maybe some of their personalities and maybe some their creative output have been oversized among them, and that skews the perception, but my estimate is there's a bigger percentage of fucked-up, outlier personalities amongst creative types than amongst the general population. Just a perception. Maybe some sociologist or psychiatrist can make a statistical analysis and see how it holds up.

I didn't know Hemingway, I've no footing to judge him one way or another. I'm inclined to see some merit in the metaphor of him wearing his merkin on his chest, but my opinion of the man doesn't amount to shit. My opinion of his writing doesn't count for shit either, but the text remains a static mirror long after the death of the author. It reflects who I am in my opinion of it, not Hemingway. But I think by and large it's easier and safer to make pronouncements about the author and his relationship to the work than to make pronouncements that will only reveal something about me and my relationship to the work. Yeah, we're all critics of something out there, including the creative types, but what's they say about us?

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Aug 7 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #7

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Tibro @ Aug 6 2014, 10:44 PM) *
Creative types seem a more interesting subject to observe and ponder than accountant types. But maybe that's just me.

Doubtless.
http://www.nakedaccounting.com/

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 7 2014, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Vaginafly trap

Figures.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Aug 7 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #9

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

'zactly!

Attached Image

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 7 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #10

Vaginafly trap

O God!

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Aug 7 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #11

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Leda?

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 7 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #12

Vaginafly trap

Zeus!

(As sketchy as they come.)

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 7 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Master of Oblivion

I had a naked accounting once.
We (two men, two women) were playing strip poker, and I had nothing left to lose, when a neighbor woman came barging in without knocking.
Very amusing. For her.
It could have been worse, she could timed her visit for a little later ....

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Aug 7 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #14

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Reminds me of a moment giving support to the wife of one of our brave enlistees stationed overseas.

A missionary knock on the door and me, naked as nature intended. She told them her husband was at sea. I come to the door and asked if I could be of assistance . . .

Best way yet to get rid of the bastids.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 7 2014, 09:23 PM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

my estimate is there's a bigger percentage of fucked-up, outlier personalities amongst creative types than amongst the general population

I think that's been well established. If not, it should have been. It's sort of obvious.
It reflects who I am in my opinion of it, not Hemingway.

It sheds light upon both. Maybe you more than him, but that can't be helped - you know you better than you know him.
But I think by and large it's easier and safer to make pronouncements about the author and his relationship to the work than to make pronouncements that will only reveal something about me and my relationship to the work. Yeah, we're all critics of something out there, including the creative types, but what's they say about us?

Again, I don't see how you can do one without doing the other. I don't think you want to be judged by a robot, and one way or another, you're going to be judged.
Merkin

"Merkin" did occur to me. An ad at the back of Death in the Afternoon for chest toupées would be cool. Years ago, there was a fine feature in the National Lampoon about women's bush styles, including "the merkin". Now that's literature.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 06:41 AM