Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Collecting whisky, From the BBC
Jaded Prole
post Aug 16 2014, 03:41 PM
Post #16

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

I'm surprised it hasn't made more of an inroad with the craft movement(s).

Hmmm, lot of local craft breweries in Xit City, maybe I can introduce them to the concept . . .

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 16 2014, 04:40 PM
Post #17

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

a strobile, more like a pine cone than a flower.

Like a pine cone in structure, without being woody, so more like a flower in texture. In either case, you'll find them commonly referred to as the female flowers of the hop plant. They're sex organs.

I remember something at Allentown

Sounds like you may not have actually been there.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 16 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #18

Vaginafly trap

Beer concentrate? Like frozen O.J. in a can?

In the sense that distillation removes water, yes.

I'm inclined to think of eisbock or ice beer as being more in the mode of froze concentrate. With the pulp or headache, as it were. Distillation helps removes the stuff that might get uncomfortably stuck in your cranial spaces, as it were. I 'spose it's a question of the states of your matters when you do the concentrating.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Aug 16 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #19

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

I like beer schnaps although it may be the only style of spirits that hasn't caught on with craft distillers. There may not be much of a market here as its easy to get confused with all of the unaged corn lickers. There's a local bar that carries a few, they are quite pricey.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 17 2014, 09:43 PM
Post #20

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I'm inclined to think of eisbock or ice beer as being more in the mode of froze concentrate.

Indeed, but I was thinking about the word concentrate. The alcohol is concentrated using a still, but only because the water is removed. Water is removed to concentrate orange juice as well. Same for malt extract, condensed milk, etc. So I said in that sense ...
Distillation helps removes the stuff that might get uncomfortably stuck in your cranial spaces, as it were.

Indeed. It removes stuff soluble in water, and concentrates stuff soluble in alcohol, which is why absinthe is only partially like wormwood, why maceration (coloration) lends attributes that distilling won't, and why homebrew absinthe kits sold to morons for soaking in vodka only result in vomiting. But you knew all this; all this discussion is just for shits and giggles.
Like a pine cone in structure, without being woody, so more like a flower in texture.

I meant like a pine cone in function, which is (I think) how botanists classify such things. They're woody if you consider paper thin wood shavings, as from a plane set to remove almost nothing. I always thought of them as feathery. They remind me of owls. Fragrant, sticky owls.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 18 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #21

Vaginafly trap

Pine cones produce seeds. Strobiles produce seeds. Flowers produce seeds. Ears of corn are spikes studded by seeds. Some catkins produce seeds, others pollen. All are performing the function we commonly attribute to flowers (other than looking pretty and being odiferous) . I believe, and I'm no botantist, that the different terms refer primarily to structure rather than function.

And as an inveterate flower eater, I can tell you that many flowers have petals that are surprisingly tough. We may think of them as delicate and ephemeral, but for the most part they're surprisingly tough. Plucking them from a daisy they don't usually rip but come out whole from their anchor points. Cellose, with a high tensile strength, same as in wood.

And I'm quite enamored of the image of hop flowers strobiles as sticky, fragrant owls. I'll have to get some bobble eyes and do a Marfa Stewdfart project.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 18 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #22

Master of Oblivion

I believe, and I'm no botantist, that the different terms refer primarily to structure rather than function.

Structure, yes, agreed, as far as what the word strobile means (a cone, more or less). But I meant function in the sense that it's a fruit, a seed-bearing thing, a ripened thing, something that is past flowering stage. I'm no Jethro Tull, but I think of flowers functioning to attract pollinators, and cones to protect and drop seeds (obviously, post-pollination)
EDIT: A little research (very little) reveals that hops, like cannabis, come in male and female, and the cones appear on the female plants, like the buds on cannabis. The male plants are culled in both agricultures because seeds are not desirable in the harvested fruit. And apparently hops cones are both the flower and the seed package, or would be, if the boys were left around to play their part.
I look forward to a bohemian rhapsody of owl caricatures.
IPB ImageIPB Image

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 18 2014, 09:46 PM
Post #23

Master of Oblivion

Duplicate post culled without mercy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 19 2014, 06:37 AM
Post #24

Vaginafly trap

I take no credit, only to show you are not alone in your perception.

IPB Image

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 19 2014, 06:02 PM
Post #25

Master of Oblivion

Now that's an owl glass.
Toes are wrong, though.
People probably think it's more owly to show more claws, but owls put three toes forward only in flight. When sitting still, they put two forward and two backward as in the photo.
When I was a teenager I shot one and carried it home. Yeah, I know, stupid, but I was stupider then. For what it's worth, I wanted to taxiderm him. And did. I also stuffed a hummingbird that my cat killed.
But anyway, a friend was checking him out on the floor of the shed, poking him, and the owl came to life (turned out my bullet had only grazed him) and gave him a taste of the Freddy Krueger appendages.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Aug 19 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #26

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

C'est la chouette !

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 19 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #27

Vaginafly trap

I think the 3 toes is a design compromise. Those talons are a reflection of the strobile's pistils. And pretty damn clever for it. But only two gives the figure a Chaplinesque posture. Well, that's how I see it.

Night Shift Brewing

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 19 2014, 09:47 PM
Post #28

Master of Oblivion

Agreed on all counts, but three claws on each side doesn't look right either - it's like an owl sitting on centipedes.
Mickey Mouse has only four fingers. I've read that it saved money to leave one out, but I think it's bullshit. How much longer does it take a skilled artist to make another loop with his pen? I think it's because five fingers looks like a bunch of bananas unless an actual human hand is rendered accurately, and that would take a lot of time, not to mention make the mouse look weird. Same for Homer Simpson.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 19 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #29

Master of Oblivion

Speaking of Charlie, I didn't know until recently that he had appeared in and directed non-silent movies.
Saw one the other night, with him as a serial killer.
He walked to the guillotine normally, but with a limp.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 20 2014, 06:22 AM
Post #30

Vaginafly trap

Power to the people.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 12:46 PM