> quiz, who was…
delirium
post Aug 22 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 4030

Anatole Beaucanard?

He's mentioned in Allais' text Absinthes.
Can't find anything about him from the web.

--------------------
"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink." -Shunryu Suzuki
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Aug 22 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #2

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 4078

I don't think that is a real name.

Beau + canard
'canard' (duck) is a French slang for newspaper, by implication a badly written one. The English equivalent would be a 'rag' paper.

so beaucanard, in context, would be a bad, worthless hack writer.

Specifically, the term Canard refers to a tactic used by a parent duck to deceptively draw a predator away from its offspring or nest by quacking and feigning a broken wing. In other words the "Canard" or "Duck" is lying.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/canard

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 22 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #3

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

That's what it is, a hack. In the poem (never saw it before - pretty damn good stuff) Victor Hugo and any old hack are equal in the eyes of the worms in the ground who will split them atom by atom as the water splits the tablet of sugar. That Allais be trippin!

– Garçon... une absinthe au sucre !
Amusant, ce morceau de sucre qui fond tout doucement sur la petite grille... Histoire de la goutte d'eau qui creuse le granit... seulement sucre moins dur que le granit... Heureusement... voyez-vous : absinthe au granit ?
Absinthe au granit... ah ah ah ah... ah ah ah... Bien rigolo... absinthe au granit... faudrait pas être pressé... ah ah ah...
Presque fondu maintenant, le morceau de sucre... Ce que c'est de nous... Image frappante de l'homme, le morceau de sucre...
Quand serons morts, nous en irons comme ça... atome à atome... molécule à molécule... dissous, délités, rendus au Grand Tout par la gracieuse intervention des végétaux et des vers de terre.
Serons bien plus heureux alors... Victor Hugo et Anatole Beaucanard égaux devant l'Asticot... Heureusement !
Sale temps... Mauvaise journée... Directeur idiot... Éditeur bête à pleurer...
Et puis... peut-être pas tant de talent que ça, au fond.
C'est bon, l'absinthe... pas la première gorgée, mais après.
C'est bon.

Waiter ... an absinthe with sugar!
Entertaining, this morsel of sugar that rests gently at the bottom of the little grille
The story of the drop of water that erodes granite ... it's just that sugar is less hard than than granite ... Fortunately
You see: absinthe with granite?
Absinthe with granite ah ah ah ah ah ah ah...
Very funny ... absinthe with granite ... wouldn't do to be in a hurry ... ah ah ah
Almost melted now, the morsel of sugar... that's how it is with us... Striking image of man, the morsel of sugar...
When we are dead, we shall go just like that - atom by atom - molecule by molecule - dissolved, split, turned into the Great Everything by the gracious intervention of the plants and worms of the earth
Very much happier then ... Victor Hugo and Anatole Beaucanard equal in the eyes of the Maggot ... Fortunately!
Foul weather ... bad day... idiot boss ... pathetically stupid editor...
And then ... perhaps not so much talent as that, at the bottom.
It is good, absinthe, not at the first sip, but after.
It is good.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 22 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Master of Oblivion

Whenever you see "canard" ...
It is a duck, but it's also a joke, going back supposedly to a joke about two men competing at selling live ducks, lowering their prices to undercut each other, until one went lower than he could afford to go, but put the fine print under his price: "for half a duck".

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
delirium
post Aug 23 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

Wow. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

--------------------
"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink." -Shunryu Suzuki
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 23 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #6

Master of Oblivion

Thanks for discovering that text. I had never heard of it.
I knew that "canard" often involves a joke or something other than a duck, but I had never heard the original joke until I was researching to answer your post, so I learned something also.
The text is longer than I quoted, as you know.
I'll translate the rest of it eventually. I like it a lot.

--------------------
+Quote Post
delirium
post Aug 23 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #7

Absinthusiast

It's already translated, in fact.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 23 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Master of Oblivion

I found it there earlier today, but didn't read it. I like to do it myself.
Since you mentioned it, I had a look at it.
It leaves a lot to be desired, to put it kindly.

--------------------
+Quote Post
delirium
post Aug 25 2014, 05:16 AM
Post #9

Absinthusiast

Oh, I'd be eager to read another translation. I don't understand much French.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 26 2014, 12:31 AM
Post #10

Master of Oblivion

I've edited what I already posted considerably. I had made some translation mistakes as well as some of interpretation (the two aren't necessarily the same thing), such as the whole granite/sugar business which at first I didn't understand, to be honest. It's not exactly easy to translate.
It's not a poem after all, but an excerpt from a novel (I think). I'm not as impressed with it as I was at first glance. It seems to be a writer bitching about not getting published more than anything else.
But I'll probably work on the rest of it.
The translation you linked has English phrases that are not found in the French at all, and some French phrases are ignored, and liberties were taken that shouldn't have been, such as "on the rocks". That might be a quip an English writer would make when musing upon absinthe and granite, but the French writer didn't. I'm pretty sure the French have never used "on the rocks" to mean ice, and he wasn't talking about ice anyway, but sugar.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 27 2014, 01:20 AM
Post #11

Master of Oblivion

Okay, here's the whole thing. For sure it's not perfect, but it's close enough to get the sense of it.
The French can be seen elsewhere, so I left it out.
It seems to be about a man's attitude being adjusted by the notorious brainwash elixir. He progresses from absinthe with sugar to anisated (??? - I don't know - an anisey absinthe, or absinthe with anisette, or what), to absinthe straight.
I didn't bother trying to duplicate precisely the placement of phrases, much less the dots. This guy is the Seurat of writers. He's probably making dots in hell.
I apologize for the unusual font, but the board often doesn't understand MS Word format, and I'm tired of fucking with it trying to make it right.

Five o'clock ...
Foul weather ... gray ... devilishly strong melancholy gray
Therefore a good downpour will not fall to force all the fools who walk around looking stupid to go home! ... Foul weather ...
A bad day today, name of God! Rotten luck ...
Supplement refused ... politely

- Excellent, your supplement ... interesting subject ... well-written, but not in the spirit of the paper.
The spirit of the paper! ... Pretty, the spirit of the paper! The most stupid paper in Paris and the Seine-et Oise!
Absent-minded busy editor

Return the gentleman's manuscript... Your novel is excellent ... interesting subject ... well-written, but you understand ...business is not good at all ... overloaded and couldn't you create something in the style of Grande Marnière?
Easy sale ...
award.
Set out with a friendly and stupid air:
- It will be for another time...

Foul weather .. half past five o'clock
The boulevards!... Let us take to the boulevards ... maybe I'll meet friends...
Pretty, the friends!... All the muffs ... Can anybody in Paris be depended upon?
They are rather ugly, all these people who pass!
And badly dressed up, the women!... And stupid looking, the men!

Waiter ... an absinthe with sugar!
Entertaining, this morsel of sugar that rests gently at the bottom of the little grille
The story of the drop of water that erodes granite ... it's just that sugar is less hard than than granite ... Fortunately
You see: absinthe with granite?
Absinthe with granite ah ah ah ah ah ah ah...
Very funny ... absinthe with granite ... wouldn't do to be in a hurry ... ah ah ah
Almost melted now, the morsel of sugar... that's how it is with us... Striking image of man, the morsel of sugar...
When we are dead, we shall go just like that - atom by atom - molecule by molecule - dissolved, split, turned into the Great Everything by the gracious intervention of the plants and worms of the earth
Very much happier then ... Victor Hugo and Anatole Beaucanard equal in the eyes of the Maggot ... Fortunately!
Foul weather ... bad day... idiot boss ... pathetically stupid editor...
And then ... perhaps not so much talent as that, at the bottom.
It is good, absinthe, not at the first sip, but after.
It is good.

Six o'clock... Very slowly the boulevards come alive.. Alright, now the women!
Prettier than a moment ago and smarter! Looking less moronic than the men!
The sky is still grey ... a pretty pearl grey ...the end of tone ... the setting sun gives the clouds pretty pale copper colors... And it is very good ...
Waiter - an anisated absinthe!
It's entertaining, the absinthe with sugar, but zut .. it takes too long

Six thirty ...
These women passing by!... Almost all pretty ... and therefore strange!
And mysterious!
From where do they come?... Where do they go?... Will they ever know?...
It's barely if they look at me at all .. me who loves them so much!
Each in passing, gives me such an impression that it seems to me that I shall never forget it
As soon as they have disappeared, I can no longer remember what they looked like.
Fortunately those who come afterward are even better.
I would love them so much if they wanted ... but they all leave... Shall I ever see them again?

On the sidewalk, in front of me, hawkers sell everything ... newspapers ...cigar cases made of celluloid ... little plush monkeys ... in all colors ...
What are these men?... Crushers of life, without doubt, probably neglected geniuses...
recalcitrants... As the eyes are deep... What somber fire in their pupils

To create a book thereupon ... unique ... unforgettable ... a book that all of them would be forced to buy ... all of them!
Oh! all these women!...
Why doesn't even one of them get the idea of sitting with me, embracing me very softly ... fondling me ... cradling me as mamma did when I was little?...
Waiter, an absinthe straight ... Don't be afraid to do it

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 27 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #12

Master of Oblivion

Here's an analysis of the thing that goes into great detail. It was published in 1992. Allais died in 1905.
http://books.google.com/books?id=vImUcuv7d...%27existence%22

--------------------
+Quote Post
delirium
post Aug 28 2014, 05:59 AM
Post #13

Absinthusiast

What is that obscure script, is it language?
Oui, Mr. Dee. It must be the language of angels.

--------------------
+Quote Post
delirium
post Aug 28 2014, 06:40 AM
Post #14

Absinthusiast

From the Daedalus book of Absinthe:
"'Une absinthe anisée' was an absinthe with extra anis, while 'une bourgeoise' or 'une panachée' was an absinthe with extra anisette cordial."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 28 2014, 01:28 PM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

Yah, the commentary is harder to read than the text.
What with all the discs and isotopes, it looks like an index of radwaste storage.
Google (did I remember to say fuck you very much, Google?) this morning says I have reached my "limit" for looking at the image of the text. Of course, I know ways around this, but here is the "reason" given after pressing the "WHY?" button:
It's like going to a bookstore and browsing — with a Google twist.

This after explaining that their goal is to get people to buy the book or go to a library for it!!
If a bookstore imposed a "twist", straight out of the book of assholes, that prevented me from looking inside the book in the hope of forcing me to buy it - yeah, that's a brilliant method. Morons.
Thanks for the reference. Sounds nasty. Maybe it was a way of making crapsinthe more drinkable. But that explanation introduces the question of how the extra anise was added when NOT from a separate anise liquor. Anise extract? I think most of us would agree that a well-made absinthe doesn't need extra anything but water, so obviously a lot of crapsinthe was being sold, and/or a lot of anise whores were running around Paris who didn't recognize good absinthe when it was in front of them.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2018 - 09:13 AM