Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to Choose an Absinthe Forum
Artemis
post Aug 28 2014, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The Internet is supposed to be the vast network that provides a new and unprecedented way for us to share our diverse opinions. But it turns out that the Internet cats have got your tongue. According to a new survey from Pew, people who use Facebook and Twitter are less likely to share their opinions on controversial issues. And that self-censorship spills over to their offline lives as well. "Researchers said they detect what they call the spiral of silence phenomenon: Unless people know their audience agrees, they are likely to shy away from discussing anything controversial." That's really terrible. (Unless you think it's good, in which case it's really good.)

http://time.com/3197263/study-facebook-and...ews-on-the-web/
But why are they self-censoring? Could it be because the threat of censorship by an arbitrary "authority" hangs over them? In a room full of yes men, integrity was checked at the door.

And if you really need a (nother) reason to shun Farcebook:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/technolo...utcry.html?_r=0

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Aug 28 2014, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

Awareness of an intrusive police state limits personal freedom..

Big Brother is indeed watching.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 28 2014, 03:11 PM
Post #3

Master of Oblivion

I assume you used lower-case "state" intentionally. I hope so.
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the government.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 28 2014, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Human nature is to find a tribe that is simpatico.

Contemporary electronic media has made the old tribes mebbe not so much insignificant as mebbe somewhat offensive in terms of being old fashioned and unrepresentative.

Yes, we need to offend to move things forward. No, an offense is off-putting to group identification.

It's not just rock-n-roll anymore. Apparently raves happen with herds of people wearing headphones to enjoy a communal event in total isolation. It keeps the kops at bay as far noise pollution.

We're gonna kill ourselves with our kleverness.

Democracy is about to meat its match.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 28 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

People who go to raves seek out their preferred experience in an environment that embraces and furthers it. And (hopefully) they avoid the cops and giving offense that would cause outsiders to call the cops.

People frequent forums where they are comfortable because they're part of the tribe.

I'm okay with tribes.

What bothers me is people falling into line with the policies of mini nanny states (small, as with most fora, or disturbingly large, as with Farcebook) merely to avoid giving even the appearance of offense through unapproved speech, disturbing speech, dangerous speech, etc. That's not a tribe; that's the death of tribes. People who are comfortable in such environments are self-training themselves for the day when the State (whatever form it takes, but something flesh and bone as opposed to virtual) indeed makes the rules and enforces them with the jackboot on the door (for starters). We should be training ourselves for resistance, not compliance.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 29 2014, 06:35 AM
Post #6

Vaginafly trap

We're all training ourselves to be commodities. From watching network TV to joining an on-line community what's happening is that you're selling yourself to a commercial enterprise in return for whatever service or entertainment that you derive from it. They use your presence to sell you goods, either directly or by selling your presence on to another party that tries to sell you goods - in which case you're nothing but a commodity, a thing to be bought and sold and manipulated in whatever way that can bring profit to the company from which you believe yourself to be receiving free goods or services. Fora are businesses. Basefook is a business. If you're detrimental to their bottom line they can chew you up and spit you out. If you don't want to lose out on whatever it is they seem to, or actually do, provide for you then you adhere to their regulatory scheme, whatever it may be, however liberal or conservative. Fortunately different businesses have different business plans and models so not all are created equal and there's some competition as to who you will allow to consume you.

"…and if you're too tired to chew, pass it on."

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 29 2014, 07:23 AM
Post #7

Vaginafly trap

Does use of Basefook and Twitder cause self-censorship or does it merely correlate well with self-censorship? It may be that the huge popularity of these social media is a reflection of the huge population out there that wants to be lead around by the nose and values belonging over individuation.
The Internet is supposed to be the vast network that provides a new and unprecedented way for us to share our diverse opinions.

And so it is. Fracturing and splintering and providing a gazillion hidey-holes for anyone with an inclination to purchase a domain and lure like-minded suckers in to be sucked. Or create their own tribe, or sub-tribe, or sub-sub-tribe. Or rub-a-dub-dub time. Basefook and Twitder are just two hidey-holes that can barely fit in the walk-in closets they've constructed for themselves. Open the door a crack to let light in and the inhabitants scurry for cover lest they discover how hideous they are.
(Twitder co-founder Jack) Dorsey has explained the origin of the "Twitter" title:

…we came across the word 'twitter', and it was just perfect. The definition was 'a short burst of inconsequential information,' and 'chirps from birds'. And that's exactly what the product was.

Italics are mine.

Another Twitder co-founder is Biz Stone, which is inconsequentially amusing to me.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Aug 29 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #8

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

I don't think fora are businesses per say, they are a group of people. Put together a group and people are going to share goods and services, not for capitalism but for pride, and need. I don't think we ever censored ourselves much here, I do at times, after making my opinion clear, I shut up and quit kicking the horse. We pretty much ran off all those without ballz, so say what you want, we all have proven skin.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 29 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #9

Vaginafly trap

Shilling is pretty well a null issue here, but even so there's an investment in public relations going on. That's a transaction with capitalist undertones at work. Capitalism isn't a dirty word, I'm not offended by the links in your signature. The business model here works for me well enough. I've pissed on the rug. Made my mark. Nothing to be proud of, but there it is. Everybody's gotta piss, but I appreciate nobody being forced to wear diapers. Though some may out of choice.

The Lounge, as a forum, prolly exemplifies pure altruistic ideals to a higher degree. A place for people "with nuthin' left to lose." Sorta.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 29 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Master of Oblivion

'chirps from birds'

I never doubted it meant exactly what it said, and from the getgo found it offensive - people are attracted to that? - birds make mindless noise! Or at best, they express only the most primal "thoughts".
Grunt if you're hungry.
Even the Lounge had a corral.
Only free-range horses' asses here.
Nothing but corral at Farcebook and Tweety.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 29 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #11

Master of Oblivion

Obviously, I'm blowing off accusations of this being a shill site, as discussed by Jack and me at the gay bar in Allentown - you were there. I don't pretend to remember any of the conversation, but I remember conceding that he had a point.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 29 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #12

Vaginafly trap

In all seriousness, you question whether people are attracted to mindless noise?

Or is the question whether those that are can actually be counted as people?

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 29 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #13

Vaginafly trap

Disclaimer: My comments above are not intended as a reflection in any way upon the denizens of the Lounge. Past, present or future.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 29 2014, 07:20 PM
Post #14

Master of Oblivion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAud5O7Qqk

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Aug 30 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #15

Vaginafly trap

Happy Roasted Marshmallow Day!

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 06:57 AM