Reply to this topicStart new topic
> His Kingdom for a Horse
Artemis
post Sep 28 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

My dad used to say before taking a bath, "time to wash the king's horse" (king's arse, get it?).
So I was watching the Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and they have these texts on the screen between shows that can be surprisingly informational. A few nights ago, there was one about a king's skeleton being found under a parking lot. WTF? Why was I not informed about this? So I looked it up. Fascinating stuff.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 29 2014, 07:15 AM
Post #2

Vaginafly trap

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2953

I have a vague memory of seeing the reconstruction of his face presented on some TV show or another. Apparently, he wasn't the most popular king. But time can distort the facts, and what do I know about it anyway? Better to consult the Ricardians for their side of the story.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 29 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Master of Oblivion

Nice page, lots of information in the same place.
As for his appearance, I had no reason to doubt the portrait I had seen, but now I see it wasn't painted in his lifetime. But it wasn't long afterward, and apparently was a copy of an earlier painting.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Seems he wasn't one to sit back and let others do the dirty work, either.
Accounts note that King Richard fought bravely and ably during this manoeuvre, unhorsing Sir John Cheyne, a well-known jousting champion, killing Henry's standard bearer Sir William Brandon and coming within a sword's length of Henry Tudor before being surrounded by Sir William Stanley's men and killed.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 30 2014, 03:45 AM
Post #4

Vaginafly trap

Of course Shakespeare painted his portrait as well. And there are those who question the verisimilitude rendered there as well. But particularly for a man, and a leader of men, whose physical stature was warped by scoliosis, he cuts quite an imposing figure. I suppose there's some small justice that he only wound up under the parking lot and not excavated during the digging of a building foundation and dumped as landfill in the previous generation's cesspool.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 30 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

It was incumbent upon Shakespeare to flatter the opposite camp. Hard to prosper writing entertainment for the Obama Whitehouse if you feature Bush as having been a hero.
I have the same spine, maybe not as severe, but not pretty.
"Why do you stand so stupid?" - My father whenever I would stand for a photograph he wanted to take.
He didn't know. I didn't either, until I saw an X Ray of my spine taken by a chiropractor in my 30s.
It would have been hard to tell with Richard if he made an effort to stand straight - almost not noticeable.
People probably didn't know about his condition until his body was stripped, and the legend of him being creepily deformed (and therefore of course evil) grew from there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 30 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Vaginafly trap

The king's horse might've been well served by a properly descending colon but there were other organs jousting for order in that royal thorax. That's not a particular mild bend to his spine (I hope yours is straighter than that, though twisted is as twisted does).

IPB Image

The texts mostly mention him standing one shoulder taller than the other. But imagine the stresses riding a horse in battle. Rooster Cogburn would've need an effective analgesic.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 30 2014, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Master of Oblivion

I had not seen that photo. No, mine is more like a gentle S than that bracket for a twelve-inch pipe.
I hadn't thought about the effect on his innards - I did read that they found roundworm eggs (how the hell do those things survive 500 years?), indicating that he was infestated, as probably most people were at the time. Should have drank more wormwood elixir.
Riding a horse is difficult enough, let alone swinging a heavy sword with any effect while on a horse. Got to admire the king.
Rooster had strong medicine - double rectified busthead, the gen-yoo-wine article. But it unhorsed him as surely as a champion jouster, if I remember the movie correctly.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Dec 2 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #8

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

Should he have been king?

The Y-chromosome of Skeleton 1 did not match that of genealogically determined patrilineal relatives of Richard III.

Identification of the remains of King Richard III

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Dec 2 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #9

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

IPB Image

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 3 2014, 03:00 AM
Post #10

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 2 2014, 10:09 AM) *

Should he have been king?

Indeed, this raises questions about the current Royal Family's claims to the throne.

Richard III DNA shows British Royal Family may not have royal bloodline.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 3 2014, 06:26 AM
Post #11

Vaginafly trap

The royal family is largely about theatre in any case.

Upon hearing that his cousin [King George V] had changed the name of the British royal house to Windsor and in reference to Shakespeare's The Merry Wives of Windsor, German Emperor Wilhelm II remarked jokingly that he planned to see "The Merry Wives of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha"

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 3 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #12

Master of Oblivion

So there was a (insert slur meaning person of African descent) in the woodpile.
I was out standing in the yard with my mother and two brothers once (all adults at the time), and I remarked to one of the brothers, whom I had not seen in some time, that he was awfully dark (from the sun is what I meant, but we're all Cajuns, and dark anyway).
Mom, who was getting senile, slapped me.
Why so sensitive, Ma?
Nobody's trying to take your throne!
It's true he didn't look much like me and the other brother, though ...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Dec 9 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #13

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

There's a dead cat on the line.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2018 - 11:11 PM