menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which absinthes should be on everyone's bucket list?
mxreb0
post Dec 21 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 1464

Lot's of replies an still no serious answer. I've got about 30 absinthes on my "tasted" list now (I know many of you must have hundreds), and want your opinions: what are a few of the classic, must-have-tried absinthes on your list? So without getting too philosophical… what do you think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 21 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #17

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I think you're hard of thinking. I don't have a list. I never kept a list. I doubt anybody else here has a list. The people still around here are not the list-keeping kind.
I gave you an answer and I was entirely serious. Absomphe, Tibro, Sbmac, Kirk, and Assomoir gave you similar answers, and they were serious.
The answers you got will serve you better than the answers you want.
If you want an answer that's tailor-made for your approval, ask a mirror.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 21 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #18

Vaginafly trap

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2953

What you have to do before you die is to make a permanent pocket in your mind with a note that says something to remind you that the goal is leave the world with a smaller total sum of suffering than when you got into the game. Then to pull it out of that pocket at regular intervals to consult and remember the goal. Seriously.

I don't actively promote consumerism. I don't actively promote the depletion of finite resources to gain a limited return of happiness.

I promote philosophy. It offers an endless bounty and the possibility of immortality. And anyone who feels pained by it can ignore it, with my blessings.

That said, fuck off. You're harshing my buzz.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 21 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #19

Master of Oblivion

the goal is leave the world with a smaller total sum of suffering than when you got into the game

Or that you later encountered, or brought upon yourself. Very well said.
Here's another thing.
Let's suppose I had a list. It would cover a span of 15 years or so. It might include something I tried five years ago. The vagaries of absinthe production being what they are, there is no guarantee that this something will not taste like shit today. There is no guarantee from one batch to the next, even if they're separated by 30 days. The risk of disappointment for the person putting faith in my list is very high. And I risk being assessed as someone who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.
Burn lists, not bridges.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Dec 21 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #20

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

Here's another totally serious answer that isn't the answer you want either, but may hit closer to the mark:

go join the Wormwood Society, and ask your question again there. Then get ready to write… and spend.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 21 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #21

Master of Oblivion

Indeed. I considered giving the same advice. Not just WWS, but lots of places.
I appreciate the fact that he chose to ask here, and I think it was the best place to ask, but ...

--------------------
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Dec 21 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #22

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 4078

I think we took your question very seriously and respectfully.

Bucket List --- something you have to try before you die?

That, is a most philosophical question. And you set that tone with the original post.

Now, what do you mean by "[/u]classics" ? Like, classical music or classic rock? That implies something which has stood a test of time. Or at least has been around for a long time.

+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 22 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #23

Vaginafly trap

I'd rather think about who I'd like to sit down and have a glass with than what will be in that glass. Stimulating company can smooth over a lot of flaws. And is more likely to make a lasting impact with real consequences. At least that's my experience.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Dec 22 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #24

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

In that mode, best glass I ever had was Deva, in a wine glass with a pinch of sugar in the bottom.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Dec 22 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #25

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

As Deva was the first commercial absinthe I tried, I agree. If I had one absinthe on my "bucket list" or for that matter such a list at all, it might be C.F Berger. The best absinthes I've had are either pre-ban and no longer produced or those produced in small batches non-commercially by dedicated and obsessed artisans. That said, I like what Artemis said. We have a "Buyer's Guide" with plenty of reviews but taste is relative. Much of what you want to know can be gained from actually reading what is already posted here and on other sites.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 22 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #26

Master of Oblivion

Berger is the best absinthe I ever had, but I remember Deva, up in the attic of the haunted house I rented near Chicago, on Halloween, looking out the window at the flaming maple trees. And the telephone rang, and it was "The Nephilim", who had somehow obtained my phone number. I would not say one experience was better than the other.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Dec 22 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #27

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

I still have about a third of a bottle of Deva -- probably over 12 years old. It is the first love in a long and continuing affair and it definitely had more of an effect on me than any other modern commercial absinthe I've had since.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Dec 23 2014, 06:46 AM
Post #28

Vaginafly trap

[ARTEMIS]

Deva - Peridot green. Not at all alcoholic in the face, faint anise smell with an earthy background. Louched to the greenish opalescent white you see in the 19th century paintings of absinthe. After louche, its smell had actually gotten stronger, blossoming into a powerful wormood/anise, well balanced, but with anise prominent. The flavor is fairly sharp anise, but with the earthy undertone still very much evident, and not at all unpleasant. Becomes MUCH sweeter with sugar. No sugar is needed either for sweetness or to mask nastiness, of which it has none.

That does it, I'm putting it on my, Oh-fuck-it list straight away. The one I'm starting on my smart phone, so it'll always be at my fingertips. The smart phone that I don't own. Oh, fuck it.

--------------------
When I wake up,
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 23 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #29

Master of Oblivion

QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 21 2014, 10:38 PM) *
And I risk being assessed as someone who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Dec 23 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #30

Master of Oblivion

It did louche well (star anise).
It was sweet (star anise).
It was earthy (the funk of forty thousand years). I had tried to tell myself, against better judgement, that wormwood was somehow responsible for the dirt flavor.
It was nasty, too. I wasn't trying to lie, but I had lied to myself.
Nephilim on the phone.
It was thanks to him that I first realized what absinthe is supposed to taste like.
I drove 1000 miles one way the following Spring, and waited half a day in a dangerous area for him to get home from work so I could learn some more.
Two tears in a bucket, mother fuck it.
No bucket?
An old coffee percolizer rem-nant will do.
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 11:27 AM