> Stained Glass
Artemis
post Jan 7 2015, 03:23 PM
Post #16

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Jan 6 2015, 11:23 PM) *
Absinthe is mentioned there, but Google translate does not produce very readable text…

Absinthe is mentioned only in passing, and is not the subject of the page. The page is by a person named Simon who has fond memories of summers spent at the house of his grandparents near the Simon Aîné distillery. He mentions the smell of blackcurrants and macerating oranges in the gardens around the distillery. He talks about his family ancestry and that of the founders of the distillery. It's not clear to me whether said ancestry is the same.

Absinthe is mentioned as follows:

I therefore know very little about him (Jean Francois Simon) and even less about what led him to become a distiller. He seems not to have had family ties with this SIMON - ELDER who had set up in 1833, in association with Augustus JULLIEN, a distillery of absinthe in Pontarlier on the site of the ancient convent of the Bernardines, under the name "Fabrique d'Absynthe du Roi".

House of Pains-Fils also had a specialty called "The Grand Som" (from the name of a peak in the Chartreuse mountains) in three versions: green, yellow and white. And they also made absinthe there.

The distillery Simon-Aîné de Chalon-sur-Saône therefore appears to be a continuation of an older distillery which all the commercial papers indicate was founded in1862. This distillery was presented at its beginning as principally a producer of absinthe. See below a bill signed F. Simon Aîné, of November 19th, 1892 that complains about a shipment of two bales of fennel - used in the manufacture of absinthe - which were claimed to be of bad quality. I had the opportunity myself to taste a bottle of Simon-Aîné absinthe found in the bottom of my grandfather's cellar, according to the rules (traditional absinthe ritual) using the special spoon called "feuille ou pelle d'absinthe" with a lump of sugar on it.

(Caption) - An "wormwood leaf" spoon that was probably used for serving the products of Simon Aîné at Chalon

An older bill from 1884 mentions "Distillery of Swiss Absinthe" a generic term, absinthe being undoubtedly a Swiss creation.

A very old advertisement for the house of SIMON AÎNÉ (from 1882 according to the seller on eBay) which I acquired, gives as the address for the distillery 5, Rue des Lancharres and 9, Rue de Lyon (where were born three of the children of Jean-François). It is therefore probable that it was at the intersection of these two streets, before the construction of the plant and the home which I knew. It is amusing to note that it offers a "a perfect Swiss absinthe extract".

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Marc
post Jan 7 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #17

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

Very interesting, thanks Bruno.

He also says: "I've had the opportunity to taste a bottle of absinthe Simon-Aîné found in my grandfather cellar" but that's all he says about it.

Have you noticed this?

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 7 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #18

Master of Oblivion

Thanks, Marc. I had missed the part about tasting the absinthe because I searched the text for "absinthe" and for some reason "l'absinthe" didn't come up. After your response at the French forum I amended my post above to include that part.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jan 7 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #19

Le maistre d'appastate

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 127

Mais où sont les bières brunes ???

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 7 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #20

Master of Oblivion

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 7 2015, 10:32 PM
Post #21

Master of Oblivion

Clarification:
After reading parts of that web page that I had not bothered to read the first time or two around (too many words), I realize that the Simon who created the page is indeed a direct descendant of the Simons involved with the distillery.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jan 7 2015, 10:55 PM
Post #22

Alberga Schutzkorps

Group: Members
Member No.: 1939

Thanks, Marc and Artemis, and a brown bear to jacques!

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 7 2015, 11:55 PM
Post #23

Master of Oblivion

You're welcome. Thanks for the link. Fascinating page. I hope to study it more closely - lots of great images.

As for the quote Assomoir posted, it means basically (I think) that a cousin in the Simon family has the secret recipes and maybe some day the products of the distillery could be again produced.

But as we know, there's a lot more to it than a recipe.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Jan 8 2015, 12:27 AM
Post #24

Le maistre d'appastate

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 127

IPB Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 8 2015, 02:45 AM
Post #25

Master of Oblivion

I think there's a bear in that bush.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 03:58 AM