> Shalom Verte!
FarbrengenVerte
post Jan 12 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #1

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 4268

Hello there Absinthites!

My name is Justin. I live in LA with my wife and daughter (but am originally from NY). Iv been lurking on the green fairy for a while now but have now begun to enjoy it for the first time.

To be honest, I do not drink any other type of alcohol anymore. As someone who works in the creative side of advertising and branding I find Absinthe to be the perfect drink to open the mind but not get too sloppy at the same time

Anyways, I am preaching the choir here.

I do have one problem. I keep kosher. Which means that I am very limited in my alcohol consumption when it comes to grapes and grape-based drinks.

As of now there are no kosher grape-based absinthes (but I have heard that Jade looked into it a couple of times).

That leaves me with Absinthe with grain, sugar, beet etc alcohol bases.

Anyways, this limits the kind of Absinthe I can enjoy. And I think that once I introduce Absinthe to the larger community of my religious cohorts, it will quickly become the drink of choice for our gatherings, called Farbregens.

The problem is, most sites do not list the alcohol they use. I think there should be a rule about that.

Anyways, I have done a little research and contacted a few distilleries and have a working list that I hope to post here to get your insights etc.

So Shalom Everyone!

Lechaim!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
There is an old yiddish chassidic saying:
Dos vos es ken oiftaun a Chassidishe farbrengen ken malach Michoel nit oiftaun
What a Chassidic farbrengen can accomplish cannot even be accomplished by the Angel Michael.

LA CHAIM VERTE!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
Artemis
post Jan 12 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #2

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Welcome.

You pose an interesting question. I don't think I've seen it addressed in the long history of this forum.

I was once of the opinion that wine alcohol vs. neutral alcohol was a non-issue. I no longer hold that opinion, but there have always been and there still are very good absinthes made with neutral alcohol. Your only recourse may be to seek those out. In any case, it seems more fruitful than hoping producers will consider Kosher. If you ask any given producer what alcohol he uses, I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you. If he won't, you probably didn't want to buy anything from him anyway.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Jan 12 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Alberga Schutzkorps

Member No.: 1939

Welcome!

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Jan 13 2015, 12:00 AM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 4078

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 12 2015, 01:40 PM) *

I don't think I've seen it addressed in the long history of this forum.

Here is an oldy from Oxy
It is with deep reluctance that I enter into a public dispute with so eminent a authority, but I am afraid it is YOU who are mistaken, Absinthedrinker my friend. While it is true that the Rimbaud sketches show an uncircumcised robinette, there is a small publicity stamp at the the base of this fountain that explains all: "Absinthe La Juive". Of course as you know kosher absinthe was a significant sector of the market, there were several brands (you'll find one illustrated on Pg 24 of Delahaye's "Art et Histoire"), but "La Juive" was by far the most popular. So popular in fact, that like Pernod Fils, the label was often copied and satirised. An example of this is to be found on Pg114 of Conrad.

http://www.feeverte.net/archive/messages/1902/3097.html

and Welcome!

+Quote Post
FarbrengenVerte
post Jan 13 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #5

Novitiate

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 12 2015, 09:40 PM) *

Welcome.

You pose an interesting question. I don't think I've seen it addressed in the long history of this forum.

I was once of the opinion that wine alcohol vs. neutral alcohol was a non-issue. I no longer hold that opinion, but there have always been and there still are very good absinthes made with neutral alcohol. Your only recourse may be to seek those out. In any case, it seems more fruitful than hoping producers will consider Kosher. If you ask any given producer what alcohol he uses, I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you. If he won't, you probably didn't want to buy anything from him anyway.

Thanks Artemis. I started a thread under general absinthe discussion to let you know what I have learned so far. Some Distilleries are hard to get a hold of though.
I am particularly interested in Emile Pernods.

--------------------
What a Chassidic farbrengen can accomplish cannot even be accomplished by the Angel Michael.

LA CHAIM VERTE!

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 13 2015, 01:12 AM
Post #6

Master of Oblivion

Marc, who is an admin here, is a Frenchman living in France and is well familiar with many European distilleries, including Emile Pernot (not Pernod, but Pernot). If he doesn't know the answer to your question about Emile Pernot, he can probably get an answer for you from them, easier than you could.

I read parts of your other post. I didn't realize there was so much involved. Not just a matter of wine vs. neutral alcohol, obviously. I can pretty much assure you that anybody making absinthe from both neutral and grape alcohol is using the same still, utensils, etc. for both. The cost of having separate plants would almost certainly be prohibitive.

I'm not sure Oxy's post about Kosher absinthe was intended to be taken seriously, given the nature of the rest of that thread. I knew there were anti-Jewish absinthes in 1800s France, but Kosher absinthe? If there were such, keep in mind that today absinthe production is in its infancy all over the world compared to that era. Many absinthe distilleries had very deep pockets and could afford to produce for specific markets back then. Today, most, even the best, have to have some luck to produce any absinthe worthy of the name.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
FarbrengenVerte
post Jan 13 2015, 01:35 AM
Post #7

Novitiate

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 13 2015, 01:12 AM) *

I read parts of your other post. I didn't realize there was so much involved. Not just a matter of wine vs. neutral alcohol, obviously. I can pretty much assure you that anybody making absinthe from both neutral and grape alcohol is using the same still, utensils, etc. for both. The cost of having separate plants would almost certainly be prohibitive.

I'm not sure Oxy's post about Kosher absinthe was intended to be taken seriously, given the nature of the rest of that thread. I knew there were anti-Jewish absinthes in 1800s France, but Kosher absinthe? If there were such, keep in mind that today absinthe production is in its infancy all over the world compared to that era. Many absinthe distilleries had very deep pockets and could afford to produce for specific markets.

The same equipment may or may not be a big issue. I know that Lucid, which has an OU Certification, is made in the same distillery in which they make Jade. It could be that the distilation process acts a s a form of Kashering or it could be that that equipment is thoroughly cleaned between batches.

As per Oxys post. I understand that it was satirical. There is evidence of religious Jews using Absinthe in religious rituals as cited below (the time period discussed is late 1700's.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/…-the-Maggid.htm

Also, Absinthe is talked about in a code of Jewish law called The Mishnah Breua. But it is talked about as a medicinal cure in relation to whether or not it could be prepared on the Jewish Sabbath. In general, one is not allowed to take medicines (except in extreme circumstances or life threatening circumstances) on the Jewish Sabbath. However, if a cure is found in foods that people partake even during the normal week, then it it is allowed. At the time, Absinthe must not have been the drink it became because the Mishnah Bruea cites it as a drink that cannot be prepared on Sabbath.

--------------------

LA CHAIM VERTE!

+Quote Post
FarbrengenVerte
post Jan 13 2015, 01:38 AM
Post #8

Novitiate

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 13 2015, 01:12 AM) *

Marc, who is an admin here, is a Frenchman living in France and is well familiar with many European distilleries, including Emile Pernod. If he doesn't know the answer to your question about Emile Pernod, he can probably get an answer for you from them, easier than you could.

I added a separate second post in which I list what I have discovered thus far and what I am looking for more information on.

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6170

--------------------

LA CHAIM VERTE!

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 13 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #9

Master of Oblivion

I knew that.
This forum comes up for me in the "View New Posts" view. I don't see it any other way unless I take steps to do so.
On a good day, there might be four to six threads with new posts.
Therefore I can hardly fail to notice new posts.
And I had already said I read parts of your other post wink.gif ...
Initially I was going to make my response in your other thread instead of here, but I had a reason for doing it here instead. I don't remember the reason, though.
As per Oxys post. I understand that it was satirical.

My comment about that was in response to Assommoir, because he seemed to take it seriously, as I did, until I scanned the rest of the thread. I knew those other people. Degenerates, the lot of them.
it could be that that equipment is thoroughly cleaned between batches.

It's essential to do so if the still is used for something other than absinthe between batches of absinthe. Going from neutral to wine alcohol absinthe, it's probably not important. From wine to neutral, possibly of some importance. And by this I mean from a quality control standpoint, nothing to do with Kosher.
a drink that cannot be prepared on Sabbath

Much would depend upon the definition of "prepared" in that case. Making absinthe involves multiple steps, not performed on the same day, or even in the same year. The herbs and alcohol are mixed in a single day, but the herbs were likely harvested in a prior year, and the distillate may be blended years later, bottled for sale years later, etc.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Jan 13 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #10

Antipathist of Light

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2442

I like it.

Welcome.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Marc
post Jan 14 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #11

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

Welcome FarbrengenVerte!

I thought Oxy would answer your other post in more details but he didn't. I will try to help but I'm not sure I'm the right person.

My understanding is that even if an absinthe contains no ingredients that aren't kosher, it still cannot be certified as kosher if the distillery uses wine alcohol freely, even if not actually in the absinthe itself, so I'm surprised about the Lucid.
As for Emile Pernot, none of their absinthes are certified kosher, for the reason I mentioned above.

+Quote Post
FarbrengenVerte
post Jan 15 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #12

Novitiate

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 13 2015, 03:49 PM) *

Much would depend upon the definition of "prepared" in that case. Making absinthe involves multiple steps, not performed on the same day, or even in the same year. The herbs and alcohol are mixed in a single day, but the herbs were likely harvested in a prior year, and the distillate may be blended years later, bottled for sale years later, etc.

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 13 2015, 03:49 PM) *

The reason that the Mishnah Bereua prohibits the consumption of Absinthe on Shabbos is because of its healing qualities as all medications are prohibited on shabbas (except in life treating and other circumstances). However, if a food is normally consumed by healthy people as well, although it may have had healing properties, it may be consumed on Shabbat. Therefore, of one regular drinks absinthe as pleasurable drink and not for remedial purposes, it may be consumed on Shabbos.

Here is a link to the text in English translation.

The Mishnah Beruah was written in the latter part of the 1800's or early 1900's. Its author, known as the Chofetz Chiam, return his soul to the creator in the 1930's. This time means he could have been talking about the Absinthe we all know and love… but because he was living in Poland (where apparently the La Verte Absinthe was not known to be so popular) it could be that he was referring to the original medicinal Absinttum (which was more like wormwood soaked in wine).

In a letter to his daughter (the future wife of the Rebbe), the 6th Lubavitcher Rebbe told a story about how one of the followers of the Baal Shem Tov had a custom of using Absinthe for a jewish ritual that marks the end of Yom Kippur. (a 25 hour fast day). Usually wine is used for this. The text describes Absinthe as "(a strong, bitter liquor brewed from an extract of certain plants)." Its unclear if the parenthesis were the Rebbe's or the translators and I am also looking into what the word used was in the original Yiddish. But again, the time period for this would be around 1750-60 and the location Poland, so again they could be talking about something different.

Here the text for that

So the medicinal question aside, the only other problem is the spoon and the sugar. There is a prohibition on Shabbos against anything that resembles sifting, and this process may constitute sifting. But, again, the consumption itself is not a problem provided one does not have remedial intentions.

--------------------

LA CHAIM VERTE!

+Quote Post
FarbrengenVerte
post Jan 15 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Novitiate

QUOTE(Provenance @ Jan 13 2015, 06:26 PM) *

I like it.

Welcome.

Oh my goodness! What was a drinking when I did that…

--------------------

LA CHAIM VERTE!

+Quote Post
Provenance
post Jan 15 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #14

Antipathist of Light

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2442

Sugar shouldn't pose a problem at all, just don't use it. Seriously, unless you're someone who really needs to sweeten absinthe, try it sans sucre. I've found that any absinthe worth drinking is better without sugar. If you disagree, consider pre-mixing dilute simple syrup for the louching and keep it in the fridge.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 15 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

Same question came up at the French forum in the last day or so.
A noob asked about Stevia.
I said, absinthe is sweet, you don't need sugar, but if you want sugar (it makes some absinthes taste different, apart from sweetness), use real sugar, not false sugar.
Someone else suggested syrup.
Simple syrup is easy to prepare; I keep a bottle of it around for Gin Fizzes. There's nothing in it but cane sugar and spring water.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 08:55 AM