2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hello from the emerald isle …
l'homme verte
post Jan 16 2015, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4266

greetings from ireland fellow absintheurs …
my name is simon … known as l'homme verte…
i look forward to chatting to you all and exploring the magical world of the green fairy …
i am keen on the 'mindful' effects of absinthe …i am not interested in drunken-ness …
i have been a traveller for many decades aboard another 'green host' …
i have now combined the two 'transport systems' to journey further …
at the moment i am drinking roquette 1797 …with a fountain and pontarlier glasses …
as my interest is in archaic style absinthe this suits me perfectly…
i do wonder if this is the best potion for me …
or is there an absinthe out there with a more active 'transcending' element ? …

onwards and upwards … ;-)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jan 16 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #2

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

Absinthe that transports you would be desirable.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 16 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #3

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Attached Image

Read the FAQ.

The only proven psychoactive element in absinthe is ethanol.
If there are distillers out there putting more "active" elements into absinthe:
1 - It probably doesn't work, given the chemical properties of THC
2 - It's shitty absinthe to begin with, because:
A - They almost certainly aren't capable of making good absinthe and
B - Nobody would waste good absinthe that way

You're only going to aggravate people by posing that question here. Trust me, there's no future for you here in pursuing it further.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Jan 16 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 4078

QUOTE(l'homme verte @ Jan 16 2015, 02:55 AM) *

You know of the 'green host'?
The mysterious Ancient Alien responsible for such impossible to explain inventions such as this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 16 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #5

Master of Oblivion

I was hoping to be convinced that aliens had invented the flour sifter, but I actually laughed out loud when that came on the screen.
Good one.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
l'homme verte
post Jan 17 2015, 12:37 AM
Post #6

. Trust me, there's no future for you here
[/quote]

ah well … you have misunderstood my intensions …
i only wish for absinthe as pure as can be …
i have no need for additives .
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jan 17 2015, 12:51 AM
Post #7

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

You asked the same question 3 times, you got an answer!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 17 2015, 01:05 AM
Post #8

Master of Oblivion

i only wish for absinthe as pure as can be …
i have no need for additives

That's not what you first said or implied. I can only go by what you wrote.
You do need a shift key; it's right under the "A".
I don't know what "pure" means.
The best absinthe is made using clean alcohol and the best quality herbs, and a process that blends them both without errors that result in bad flavors.
Absinthe may lend a buzz that's different from a "normal" alcohol buzz, although people will argue about whether that's even true, but if it tastes like shit even the alcohol buzz isn't worth pursuing, for me anyway. If it doesn't taste like shit but is mediocre, you've wasted your money because even bad absinthe is expensive.
Better to pursue quality absinthe and let the chips fall where they may.
If you can afford it and/or obtain it, try to get hold of some French absinthe from around the turn of the 20th century, and let that be your guide for further exploration.

--------------------
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Jan 17 2015, 02:21 AM
Post #9

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

QUOTE(l'homme verte @ Jan 16 2015, 05:55 AM) *

greetings from ireland fellow absintheurs …
my name is simon … known as l'homme verte…
i look forward to chatting to you all and exploring the magical world of the green fairy …
i am keen on the 'mindful' effects of absinthe …i am not interested in drunken-ness …
i have now combined the two 'transport systems' to journey further …
at the moment i am drinking roquette 1797 …with a fountain and pontarlier glasses …
as my interest is in archaic style absinthe this suits me perfectly…
i do wonder if this is the best potion for me …
or is there an absinthe out there with a more active 'transcending' element ? …

onwards and upwards … ;-)

Welcome! Rather than re-address what's already been pounced upon, I'm a bit hung up on the many quotes within quotes used here. This is only noteworthy inasmuch as there are no quotes for the quotes within quotes to be within. This has me wondering, why then aren't they simply quotes? I feel that they aren't direct quotes, so to speak- and infer from this that the intended effect is what some refer to as air quotes. Regardless, as they are essentially quotes within [not quotes] (at least, until someone quotes it, butt that would have been thinking the horse a bit beyond the cart, wouldn't you agree? Maybe not. There may be some trans-continental language barrier at work here. OR simply my own tenuous grasp on the English language putting proof to the pudding) I find myself fallen into a drunken puzzle. Something that I understand probably isn't one of your goals here, but, nevertheless, in my state of marginally warm and fuzzy inebriation, I'm still just OCD enough to fixate upon… but I digress. Well, technically I didn't, but in my head I did. Because if I have something productive to add, it has nothing to do with any of that, and I should have led with it. Regardless:

In other news, if you think yourself perfectly suited to 1797 then one of two things is happening. Either you're correct, and you may as well stop now; or, you're on a track, and "onwards and upwards" is a bright and shining star on your almost inevitable horizon. The pre-ban suggestion was an excellent one, and I'll lend my sloshy vote to back it. That having been said, I'm still sober enough to remain cognizant to the truth that most people who would like to think themselves "absinthuers" will never actually follow through with it. For those with humbler means (or simply humbler intentions) I would suggest that there is alleged to be another batch of L'Ancienne coming out in the not too distant future, and you might want to tune in for it. On the other hand, I'm not sure what it is about the 1797 that has caught your focus, so I probably should digress from my digression and think more about your choice of punctuation. Either way, I'm not sure what else to recommend you that's currently in commercial production.

*edit: try the Jade lineup. Post your thoughts, and we'll have two out of three points to start triangulating your bearings.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 17 2015, 06:09 AM
Post #10

Master of Oblivion

I have no experience of Roquette 1797, intrigued as I might or might not be about a product named for the horse of the semi-legendary inventor of absinthe.

At the French forum, the Comte de Lautréamont (who knows his stuff), had a few things to say about it:
J'avais bien aimé la Roquette 1797 que j'avais eut en échantillon (même si c'est loin d'être ma préférée c'est une bonne absinthe) j'ai juste eut la malchance de tomber sur une mauvaise cuite quand j'ai acheté ma bouteille . C'est le prix à payer je pense avec des produits artisanaux certaines cuites ou millésimes sont moins bon que d'autre , même si pour la bouteille que j'ai eut c'était franchement pas buvable.

I very much liked the Roquette 1797 of which I had had a sample (even if it's far from my preference it's a good absinthe) I just had the bad luck to stumble into a bad batch when I bought my bottle. It's the price you pay I think with artisanal products, some batches or vintages are not as good as others, as with the bottle I had which was frankly sinkable.

And such is the problem with finding an absinthe you like and buying another bottle of it, assuming it will be the same. Same problem with asking someone else, "what's a good absinthe?". If you like it drink it, but be aware that it's a moving target, even if you've hit the target previously yourself.

The Count went on to say that Pernot is "a good French distillery" and "their products are very good".
And he listed said products: Genuine, Nice Friend, Wild, Parrot, Home Fountain, Pussycat.

Actually, Authentique , Belle Amie , Sauvage , Perroquet , Maison-Fontaine, Minette,
but the Google translations are a hoot.

--------------------
+Quote Post
l'homme verte
post Jan 17 2015, 11:24 AM
Post #11

many thanks for all your help …
OCD has been great in pointing out that i should check out jade products …
i have watched that brand with interest …

it appears that i may have upset some folk and i am sorry for that …
i had only hoped to join in and discuss the wonders of absinthe …
i fear that this is not the place for me …
all the very best to you all … cheerio … ;-)
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Jan 17 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #12

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

Upset some folks? No.
The temperature of the waters here didn't change when you stuck your toe in, they are what they are.
What they are may not be a temperature you'd like to put the rest of yourself in though, and that is perfectly understandable.

That all having been said, most of the things most worth having are worth working a little harder for.
You'll either sink or swim, but it's just the internet. You may as well jump in, as long as you look before you splash.

The Jades can be a fine choice. Honestly, I'd steer you harder towards the next batch of L'Ancienne, or more immediately available the suggestions of Artemis just above. Well, with the exception of Belle Amie- I'm not sure what he was thinking with that one. Teasing, perhaps? Last I knew it hasn't been available for years, unless there's a source still out there and I'm not on the mailing list. And if that's the case, I want to know.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jan 17 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #13

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

If you want absinthe that tastes its best, you might heed the advice given thus far. You could also read the faq. If, as you imply, you are just looking to fly high on some elusive drug experience, you're in the wrong place. I love absinthe for the taste as well as the feel but it isn't weed or LSD. I come here for the friends I've come to know. In my experience those attracted to absinthe tend to be intelligent, creative and eclectic drinkers, not your rave crowd or common drunks.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 17 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #14

Master of Oblivion

Honestly, I'd steer you harder towards the next batch of L'Ancienne, or more immediately available the suggestions of Artemis just above. Well, with the exception of Belle Amie- I'm not sure what he was thinking with that one. Teasing, perhaps? Last I knew it hasn't been available for years

That wasn't me. All I knew was the name of the horse.
I went to the French forum to see if there was a description of Roquette and/or any discussion of absinthes that are similar. I intended to share it with our Noob if I had found it.
The closest thing I could find without working too hard on it (which I wasn't inclined to do) was that list of products by the Pernot (Roquette) distillery, and the comment about Roquette being different from batch to batch. The list and the comment were in a post by the Comte de Lautréamont, a long-time member over there. Obviously, his list included absinthes made AND formerly made by Pernot.
Prior to reading said post, I had no idea who made Roquette, or what Pernot makes, other than their first absinthe (first in a hundred years, anyway), which was much discussed (and thoroughly slagged) here years ago.
The thing that stood out to me was that the count validated what I've been saying here to people who want to be told about a great absinthe - even if I knew about one, there's no guarantee it will be great for someone else because artisanal absinthe can be great for one batch and crap for another.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hillbilly
post Jan 17 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #15

Can't get right

Member No.: 4120

Well, with the exception of Belle Amie- I'm not sure what he was thinking with that one. Teasing, perhaps? Last I knew it hasn't been available for years, unless there's a source still out there and I'm not on the mailing list. And if that's the case, I want to know.
I had a bottle of the May 2013 batch, bought last year from a fellow on this continent. He had ordered two and sold me one. It reminded me quite a bit of the Sauvage, light on anise flavor and thickness, and heavy on the wormwood, slightly bitter. I enjoyed it to the last drop. I believe Verte d'absinthe is the only place to get it, whose shipping rates, and lack of insurance in case of seisure (sp)?, make it price prohibitive.

--------------------
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Them's what picks together.…sticks together.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 11:48 PM