thegreenimp
post Oct 8 2003, 05:36 AM
Post #17

Remembering all my Imps

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 12

An International Star! w00t1.gif

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Heure Verte
post Oct 8 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #18

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 119

Here is the contest's results at the Pontarlier's Absinthiades that Peter sent to me, thanx to him :

1. François Guy 45°
2. Abisinthe 45° (Lemercier)
3. Deniset-Klainguer 45°

--------------------
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Oct 8 2003, 10:47 AM
Post #19

Liquorista

Member No.: 22

out of 16 products tasted....needless to say, it was once again a 'guy-love fest' for and by the locals with 45° placing higher than 68-72° this time, remember pernod-ricard 68° placed 2nd last year. libertine, which placed 3rd last year was second to last, the un émile 45° was 4th, the 68° émile blanche 8th, but placed ahead of all other products 68°+ (people were giving low 'color' scores to the blanche because it wasn't colored!) ahh, excuse me, it's a clear product!...
the Deniset-Klainguer 45° has no right to be even placed in the catagory of 'pontarlier' absinthes, as it is not distilled (they don't even make the essences they use to mix) and has sugar added, and most likely badiane (i forgot to check the label, but )... it tastes like versinthe lite....

--------------------
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass. ™
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 8 2003, 02:18 PM
Post #20

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

That's hilarious Emile Blanche scored low because it wasn't coloured!
I always thought tastings were supposed to involve people who actually knew something about the beverage they're judging.
Sounds more like one of those blind soda taste tests they do in shopping malls. headbonk.gif

Is the Deniset made in Pontarlier? I walked by a building that I thought was the old Deniset distillery (said Deniset on the door), and looked in and a saw a bunch of yellow vats and boxes that said Pontarlier Anis. It smelled really bad.
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Oct 9 2003, 05:39 PM
Post #21

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 44

I ask myself how compentent the jury actually was. I just knew 4 people and the rest seemd to be Pastis lovers if you asky me. Completely undrinkable stuff was rated high and excellent stuff was rated low. Also they told us to test the 16 sorts with sugar, which I find ridicules. I would not give too much on the results.

Have alook at the 16 sorts:

Les Fleures du Mal
Absinthe des Alpes
Oxygenee
Abisinthe 45
Abisinthe 72
L'Amesinthe
Versinthe
Versinthe La Blanche
Un Emile 45
Un Emile 68 La Blanche
Francois Guy
La Muse Verte 68
Manguin
Deniset
Libertine
Pernod 68

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Oct 10 2003, 03:18 AM
Post #22

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 67

Perhaps it was the wrong shade of clear fart.gif
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Oct 10 2003, 04:53 AM
Post #23

Remembering all my Imps

Perhaps Petermarc can answer this, who is the jury made up from?........From the sound of the results they don't appear to be absinthe people,...... or has absinthe gotten so far away from these people, that they they just don't know?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bumpferret
post Oct 10 2003, 05:50 AM
Post #24

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 28

Wow Kalisti -

Love that van Gogh poster.

--------------------
"They smelt of pubs and wormwood scrubs," The Jam
1:1:2:3:5:8:13:21
+Quote Post
Wolfgang
post Oct 15 2003, 02:51 AM
Post #25

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 16

So he's the bastard who got the queen licked spoon ! sp_ike.gif

+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Oct 15 2003, 03:31 AM
Post #26

Unregistered

he's a very happy bastard indeed!
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Oct 15 2003, 08:56 AM
Post #27

Liquorista

Member No.: 22

>Perhaps Petermarc can answer this, who is the jury made up from?........From the sound of the results they don't appear to be absinthe people,...... or has absinthe gotten so far away from these people, that they they just don't know?

like last year, i knew hardly anyone there, except ted, markus, and hans peter (absinthemonde), and they chose different people , so benoît and marie-claude delahaye were not part of the jury...they told people not to discuss while tasting, yet almost everyone did anyway and the woman sitting next to me clearly didn't know anything about absinthe, which i think was par for the course. several of the absinthes had been openly tasted a few days back at the inauguration (which we did not attend) and at the local distilleries, so people had the chance to identify new products with labels beforehand...the list of absinthes being judged was announced before we started the competition. (which was not correct form). the reason for using sugar was that if the back label instructs you to use sugar, (which almost all do) and the product is already too sweet, then it is not being represented properly. the organizer made it clear that there were several sub-categories (oil-mix, distilled, high alcohol, sugared) represented in the same contest, which would make things difficult. the low alcohols were served for the most part before the high (though this was not pointed out) it is stunning how everyone (well not everyone) picked the françois guy for number 1...it is most likely the only reference for (real?, the best?) absinthe that many there had...most of these people really don't know what absinthe is supposed to taste like (the french clearly drink much, much less of the local clandestine 'verte' or have any interest in absinthe at all compared to the swiss with their 'la bleue' just accross the border), they are just voting on what tastes best to them (as mostly pastis drinkers), which, afterall, is going to be the same reason why most people (french, et al) buy one brand or another...that the deniset could place third is only, in my opinion, due to the fact that it was tasted by people beforehand (i had never tasted it before, as it was just released for the inauguration) and got a local 'push'...interestingly enough, the bottle was taken away just after the contest, when people were retasting the uncovered bottles...we did manage to find the covered tester bottle to reaffirm our complete surprise at its rating...i would like to see all the judging totals for all the products, but that will most likely never become public knowledge...

--------------------
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass. ™
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Oct 15 2003, 09:37 AM
Post #28

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 44

In the end, I still found it interesting. I have no idea how they selected the jury, but one thing is clear - there were only very few Connaisseurs! I guess most jury members are more into Pastis, which is far more known in France as Absinthe. So the third place for a Pasits like beverage is not really a surprise to me. It shocked me a bit, when they told us before the degustation which brands are in and especially that we had to use sugar (which I did not...)

See it like this: A nice opportunity to meet people, spend a good time in Pontarlier and simply forget the degustation and furthermore the results of the degustation.
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Oct 15 2003, 02:42 PM
Post #29

Remembering all my Imps

It seems to follow an experience we had here, some friends had a small party, and one of their guests was an person from Doubs. I had brought all three Emile's as I thought it would be a chance for some of the people to sample some absinthe. The guy from Doubs had no idea Absinthe was available in France again, and had never sampled any Absinthe when he lived in France.
He did like the three Emiles, and thought that if Absinthe was promoted again, that it might take off and become popular once more if people were aware of it.

(Interestingly, the host had a bottle of "Non French Absinthe", that he refused to try, only wishing to sample the French made Emile)

He did seem genuinely surprised that Absinthe was available again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sixela
post Oct 16 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #30

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (pierreverte @ Oct 15 2003, 10:56 AM)
it is stunning how everyone (well not everyone) picked the françois guy for number 1...

I'm not surprised. It's easy to get a good louche out of FG, much harder for the other products (in particular UE 68 Blanche and Abisinthe 72). In fact, when I don't have really *ice old* water available but only fridge cold water, I tend to mix at least *some * FG with either UE or Abisinthe to get it to louche more easily.

Crafting a good glass of the high-alcohol absinthes is probably something slightly hard for a neophyte -- unless he has clear instructions and a good fountain (and knows how to use one).

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 09:02 AM