> Hello from another FNG, with some "newbie" questions
The Green Hour
post Mar 16 2004, 07:35 AM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 576

Hi Everyone,

I've been checking out the Site for the past few days, and have been really impressed by all the Info. about Absinthe; and enjoying the Posts.

Between reading the FAQ, and checking out the Archives, this place has been a very cool 'crash course' on the History of Absinthe, and the Modern Brands. So: much respect, and many thanks to the Mods, and the Regular Posters for providing this resource.

Up until now, the only experience I've had with "The Green Fairy" was some (very) amateur Home Brew a few years ago, and a glass of "Czech Strong" at a Bar in Tijuana.

From what I've read here, the Czech is the "worst" you can get, so I'd like to experience the "best." I thought I'd start with some UE 68, and maybe a bottle of Fou 72.

Though I've got a lot of Info. from reading the other Posts, I still had some questions, before I order my (uhh) "Collectors" bottle that of course would "not be for Human Consumption:"
dev.gif

1. Courier seems to be the way to go. I saw that LdF, and SC , offer that service. Do any of the other Vendors?

2. How common is it for a shipment to "disappear" in transit? If it doe's, am I "S.O.L." or will the Vendor send more?

3. On average, how many glasses of Absinthe do you get from a 70cl Bottle?

4. I also like the idea of "the ritual," and was thinking of getting a spoon too. I like the design of most of the ones I have seen on the Vendor's sites.. but, i was wondering if some of the Spoons work better than others, when you are dripping water onto the Sugar?

Thanks for answering a "newbies" questions, and:

abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
"Color of Absinthe
Scent of Time,
Never will I be
as Before..."

- Serge Gainsbourg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Mar 16 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #2

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

Hello and welcome Green Hour. And I'm sorry you had to go through the Czech Strong. But atleast now you have something bad to compare all the good with.

So let's run down the questions then:

...before I order my (uhh) "Collectors" bottle that of course would "not be for Human Consumption:"

Well, just don't go off to ebay and pay outrageous prices for the swill they will sell you as collectibles.. He he

1. Courier seems to be the way to go. I saw that LdF, and SC , offer that service. Do any of the other Vendors?

I guess most vendors do, if you pay for it... But as far as extremely fast shipping goes, LdF is the way to go. Also, they're the only option you have on the Verte De Fougerolles 72. Also, I recommend you to get the Un Emiles from them aswell. So, if that's what you want. You should go with LdF. Other than that, there is Frenchman Phil and Absinthvertrieb.de that also has excellent service and are very reliable.

2. How common is it for a shipment to "disappear" in transit? If it doe's, am I "S.O.L." or will the Vendor send more?

It has happened, and the only thing you might be able to get out of it, is for customs to be nice enough to send it back to the vendor. Most vendors will do anything they can to help you out. It is not very common that packages get seized though. However the larger the order, the more attention it gets.

3. On average, how many glasses of Absinthe do you get from a 70cl Bottle?

Depends on how big a glass you got. harhar.gif
Well, if you pour 4-5cl of absinthe in a glass you'd end up at about 15 glasses. That's the advanced math part of being an absintheur.

4. I also like the idea of "the ritual," and was thinking of getting a spoon too. I like the design of most of the ones I have seen on the Vendor's sites.. but, i was wondering if some of the Spoons work better than others, when you are dripping water onto the Sugar?

Well, it would work just fine with a fork. Otherwise, you can get a spoon to go with your order from any of the vendors mentioned above. Also absinthespoon.com is an excellent source. All spoons work fine. But, bigger holes call for bigger chunks of sugar falling into the drink... Another option could be the Hemingway/Tarragona glasses... Also available from LdF and SC.

There. And again, welcome.

...and stay away from Tom Jones.

abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Patlow
post Mar 16 2004, 02:40 PM
Post #3

Insert gang name here

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 470

because i've been gone for a week and my brain is fried from reading literally hundreds of posts, i will only answer one question.

i find one bottle of absinthe (losing count on the glasses and adjusting for more ambitious pours as the night goes on) is perfect for two drinkers in a session.

oh, WELCOME! and order from LDF.

absintheglass-glow2.gif

--------------------
L. D. C. - Outer Space Division
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 16 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

I normally get about 12 glasses out of 70ml. bottle, allowing for about 2oz glasses.

As to vendors, yesterday was the first I've read here about an LDF shipment being seized (or rather the bottle of absinthe was removed from the gift set...another member responded that early on this had happened to him, and LDF sent him another bottle...I don't think most other vendors would have offered that kind of recompense, as reliable and decent as they are, so whenever possible I would recommend going with LDF.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
dangerousangels
post Mar 16 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 570

We have found it depends on the level of drinking you wish to do with your bottle.

For instance my wife and I enjoy a glass in the evening after the pup has retired for the night.
We use a shot/ drink though...it is the second that gets ambitious....be warned. I have no exact drink count for you however. Just remember..the stuff is precious.

As far as vendors...
we have ordered from alandia as well as LDF and both ROCK in thier service.

for speed...go with LDF they are fast, reliable and I don't have enough good to say about them.

Same with Mike at alandia, though his service takes a bit longer( 10 days from point of order to point of consuming)...I have no complaints.

Welcome, Green Hour, I am a newbie here too.

--------------------
My friend she will undress,
an now she's...boxing clever.
+Quote Post
verbal_kraze
post Mar 16 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #6

Filthy F@#king Swedish Pervert

Member No.: 415

The frenchman isn't bad either if you are just ordering 1 bottle, he has the best prices. However if you are ordering more than one, there is no discount on shipping. It takes about 10 days to get to my doorstep in California

--------------------
Bush eats Kittens I tell you......Kittens!!!
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Mar 16 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #7

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

QUOTE (patlow1040 @ Mar 16 2004, 06:40 AM)
i find one bottle of absinthe ...  is perfect for two drinkers in a session.

DAMN PATLOW!! Ya freakin' alcoholic!!

You guys forgot to mention one very important thing: make sure that you get a good, sturdy spoon that can withstand the fire from the preparation ritual. dev.gif

Welcome Green Hour!!
absintheglass-glow2.gif

Oh, and Patlow: I must see the fullsize image your avatar came from! Link?

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
verbal_kraze
post Mar 16 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #8

Filthy F@#king Swedish Pervert

Member No.: 415

Considering that Absinthe is around 68 percent on bottle is almost the equivalent of two bottles of 80 proof vodka, so you're talking about drinking almost a fifth of regular hard liquor in a sitting, that's crazy. shock.gif that's a LOT of booze man

I'd say a bottle is good for getting about 3-4 pretty damn drunk

--------------------
Bush eats Kittens I tell you......Kittens!!!
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Mar 17 2004, 04:43 AM
Post #9

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

Another way of thinking about it....

From my calculations, a 70 cL bottle of UE 68 contains roughly as much alcohol as about 27 bottles of beer.

A glass of absinthe diluted with water is a lot less filling than beer so you'll be tempted to drink it faster. All that booze will hit you like a freight train if you're not careful.

headbonk.gif

Usually 5 or 6 drinks of absinthe will get you comfortably but not slobbering drunk.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
Zouave
post Mar 17 2004, 05:19 AM
Post #10

Blanche Queen

Member No.: 32

This conversation about the number of drinks per bottle aroused my curiosity, so I did a little on-line metric conversion and arithmetic.... Here's how I justify my overexpenditure on absinthe:

0.7 liters = 23.6698 fluid oz. (US). My shot measure is 1.25 ounces, so I can squeeze about 19 glasses from a bottle.

A one-liter bottle would get me about 27 drinks.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Mar 17 2004, 05:38 AM
Post #11

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

I've had a shipment vanish from LDF (which they replaced at no cost to me), and had a shipment seized from FSC (which they also replaced at no cost to me).

If you want to order any of the Spanish fare (like SERPIS! . . . Better RED than dead!) or basically anything not produced by LDF, I'd recommend FSC highly. However, don't use economy shipping. When they SAY 8-10 weeks, they MEAN 8-10 weeks!

I prefer a spork to a spoon. Since they're plastic, the fire thing isn't a good idea . . . that, and why would I want to spend $100 for a bottle of booze, only to burn it?

What IS your avatar? It looks like a porpoise eating a little green man from Mars.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
The Green Hour
post Mar 17 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #12

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 576

Thank you for all the info, and the warm welcome! yes.gif

The "trolls" may say you take yourselves too seriously. But you seem to only flame 'noobs' that ask ignorant questiions about burning sugar, the so-called 'hallucinogenic' qualities of "absinth," or that "weird black licorice flavor."

Is that "the feeverte fire ritual?" Flame Trolls, not Sugar? evill.gif

Your answers about shipping, and # of glasses per bottle were especially helpful. As one of you said, "treat absinthe like it's precious." At the moment, this is a 'heavy duty' luxury for me.. if it wasn't for my tax return and B-day at the end of next month; I probably couldn't justify the expense. So, I would've been shock.gif if the bottles didn't get to me, and there was nothing I could do about it. Hopefully, soon I will be able to afford 'regular' orders, like some of the rest of you.

I'm still trying to decide if the UE 68, and the Fou 72 are the best bet for my first order. I did want to start with some of the "Green" Absinthes, before moving on to other Varities.. any suggestions?

Hartsmar:

"I'm sorry you had to go through the Czech Strong."

Thank you, but to be honest: Though it wasn't anything spectacular, it wasn't as bad as the horror stories i've seen in other posts about Czech "Absinth" with: No Anise/ No Louche, and Alcohol that smelled/ tasted like "diesel fuel."

When I first tasted it, I thought: "oh, it's like an Ouzo, made with other Herbs added to it." It also had a thick translucent green louche. At best though, it was an "ok" Apertif.. so I'm really looking forward to "the real thing."

Of course, they 'lit' the sugar; or tried to, since they used a normal long handled spoon.. since I knew just a little bit of History about Absinthe, I wondered why the Bartender was melting the Sugar.. and almost told him not to bother. Especially, since it wasn't working very well.

Btw, there was also a liquor store on Avenida Revolucion in T.J. that was selling a 1 Liter bottle of "Czech Strong" for $350!!! Even though I didn't know poop.gif about how much a bottle of Absinthe should cost.. I knew that $350 was way too much, laughed and walked out of the store.

Also, I'm assuming "Tom Jones" is winnie.gif:-->chop.gif ? biggrin.gif

verbal_kraze:

Thanks, "the Frenchman" sounds like another good option. (I'm in Cali too). Doe's he only take "paypal?" I've never used it, and the "paypal sucks" posts didn't exactly encourage me to start now. So, I'll probably take everyones advice and start with LdF.

traineraz:

My Avatar is a portrait of the Swedish Painter Hawk Duszek Alfredson, taken by his wife; who is a fine-art photographer. I know her work, because I went to College with her.

He's leaning over and looking at the Camera, wrapped up in a long black cloak. The origional image, is a lot more 'surreal,' since the cloak is huge.. but, I used a 'close-up' since I wanted it to 'read' better in the 100x100 pixel format, (Guess that didn't work too well). Plus, i wanted to only use a third of the image, to stay inside the 'fair use' copyright laws.

Anyway, I choose it because I thought it worked well with my Nic, and the Quote by Aleister Crowley, in my sig. But, if it looks like "a porpoise eating a little green man" on the Site, I'll probably chance it soon.

Fyi, here is a larger image of the photo. Btw, I changed the Hue of the Photo, and did some other minor digital manipulation. Hopefully, the photo will come through, it's the first time I've tried an attachment here.

Sorry for the long post, and once again:

absintheglass-glow2.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"Color of Absinthe
Scent of Time,
Never will I be
as Before..."

- Serge Gainsbourg
+Quote Post
rockstar68
post Mar 17 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 503

the ue 68 & the fou juice were my first two bottles (first time only about a month ago - maybe a wee bit longer) absintheglass-glow2.gif , and i'm still loving absinthe...so i say you'll be doing just fine if you start with those two!

--------------------
fly eagles fly,
greg
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 17 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #14

Cozy Nostril Originale

"Is that "the feeverte fire ritual?" Flame Trolls, not Sugar? "

Perhaps you have no idea how

BRILLIANT
that statement was...I don't know how our resident pundit, Artemis feels about that line, but I'd rate it an instant classic!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 17 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #15

Cozy Nostril Originale

Go for the GUSTO...the SAPIN and the Fougerolles Verte 72!!!

And you're just in time for the "next level" of Commercial Absinthe...UNFILTERED Fougerolles Verte 72!!! LARS!.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 05:14 PM