Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Bandwidth Reduction Measures
Kallisti
post Mar 16 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

As I think has been previously hinted at by Headmin, we've been exceeding our bandwidth quotas for the past couple months, are are due to do so again for March. Feeverte.net is approx. 75% of my traffic, especially since I redid the site, and installed the new forum software. Doh!

I have to start taking some cutting measures, some will be small and you won't even notice. Others you might notice but won't mind. But the first one is that I've blocked access to the archives. Those old files are just too giant and get lots of random google hits. The old forum is still there, it is just the really ancient archives that I've blocked.

Sorry if this limits our trips down memory lane, but they are still there if we need to do some serious sleuthing. Please just ask me or Head.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
crosby
post Mar 16 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #2

The essence of mean crazy drunk.

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 6

Fund raiser time. Kick down you chatterboxes, it’s time to pay for your habit. The Paypal link is in the upper right corner, in case you never noticed it before.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Mar 16 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #3

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

I think some of those Archive threads are important to keep around - they're almost historical.

Maybe someone else with the bandwidth could host the Archives for you?

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Mar 16 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

They're there, just password protected. As soon as I can solve some of the other issues they will be back. I really, really, really want to keep them available. But it was the easiest thing to turn off for the moment.

And if there is something you're looking for, you can ask me, or something. I know it's a pain. But not a permanent one.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Mar 16 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #5

Le maistre d'appastate

Well, one thing you can do to reduce bandwidth is to disallow search engine spiders/robots to scan the words in actual forum pages. I forget exactly how, it's been awhile, but I think it's in the <HEAD> (no not that HEAD) - probably one of the <META> tags.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Mar 16 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

I don't think they're scanning this forum, it is the old ancient flat html page archives that are causing me grief. And I haven't had good luck with my robots.txt and my htaccess files so far. Ugh.

Like, i've tried to set it up so google can't browse my images, and yet they still do. I need sysadmin ninja help please.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Mar 16 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #7

Le maistre d'appastate

I'd offer to help out, but I haven't done the web stuff in over 3 years, I'm a bit behind in the technology. Sounds like you're already ahead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Mar 16 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

yeah, I just need to do my homework wacko.gif poo.
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Mar 16 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #9

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

What does your robots.txt say?

I use this:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

It's simple and primitive but it keeps even Altavista out of my image directories.

It cascades to include every directory within the one which holds it.

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Mar 16 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #10

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Is this part of the bandwidth reduction?:

Sorry, an error occured. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

The file you requested to upload was greater than the limit the administrator has set for your group.

It was only 55k. :(

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Mar 17 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #11

Unregistered

our file upload limit has always been 50k. but yeah, I've had that damn robots.txt forever. and it never worked for crap.

but I've made a couple changes and resubmitted to google, we'll see.

now I'm trying to block hotlinking but can't get it to *allow* from sites I want to allow. piffle.

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /
User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /images/
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Mar 17 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #12

Vito Von Sawchuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

QUOTE (Hiram @ Mar 16 2004, 06:55 PM)
Is this part of the bandwidth reduction?:

It was only 55k. :(

I don't know shit about all this bandwidth and robot stuff but I do know that it says, "Maximum file size (in bytes): 51200" beside the File Attachment button thingy.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Mar 17 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #13

Unregistered

well, I *think* the deny googlebot finally worked. woo!
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Mar 17 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #14

Étouffeur de Perroquets

QUOTE (Kallisti @ Mar 16 2004, 04:27 PM)
our file upload limit has always been 50k.

Hmf. *head-scratch* I could have sworn I'd uploaded bigger stuff than that. I must have linked it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Mar 17 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

yeah, if you link it there is no limit cuz it ain't my bandwidth yer farking with.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 03:10 AM