menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Please Be Wary Notice on front index page..., Need feedback!
Kallisti
post Oct 8 2003, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

I'm fed up...

I put a "be wary" notice on the front page and would like all ya'lls feedback on it, what to add, what to leave out, etc.

http://www.feeverte.net/

we discussed putting up a "walk of shame" page but there are too many legal implications for me on that. this should have none, no names are named. we know who they are. am I too heavy handed? will tiny happy shiney faced newbies listen to our cautious warnings? will it help?

or do I just sound bitter ranting.gif?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Oct 8 2003, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Keeper Of The Imp

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 12

How about a section showing what is not absinthe related hardware, like perfume fountains, bakelite saucers, or anything from Luxemburg.

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Oct 8 2003, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

Yes! Yes yes YES!

I *can* add a "fakers" page to the absinthiana guide and link it from that blurb on the front.

please post picks or send them to me at: kallisti@sepulchritude.com

cheers, thanks!
+Quote Post
Nolamour
post Oct 8 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #4

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 93

Not bitter...just succinct.

I think it is very important to have this implied warning and with the professionalism of this site, newbies are sure to take note. Some, that is. There will always be the "Gotta just try it" few in the beginning, but those will learn from their mistakes.

Getting burned, however, is the best teacher.

Maybe keep the Archived "Old" forum near, for reference...it helped me learn way back when. ...especially the heated discussions.

headbonk.gif

--------------------
"Shaken, Not Stirred!" {insert Martini Glass Here}
* Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler!
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Oct 8 2003, 06:39 PM
Post #5

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

Looks good, K! Good idea.

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
sixela
post Oct 8 2003, 08:37 PM
Post #6

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Nolamour @ Oct 8 2003, 08:19 PM)

Getting burned, however, is the best teacher.
headbonk.gif

Darn -- I bought some Hill's and Staro back in Czechia -- *after* having drunk much better stuff, at that -- without having tasted them, and despite your statement, I don't seem particularly enlightened by the experience.

But then, it was darn cheap too (or I wouldn't have done it), though I almost regret not having forked off slightly more for Sebor.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Marc Chevalier
post Oct 8 2003, 09:01 PM
Post #7

Elite Absinthe Enforcer

Member No.: 29

Kallisti, you can begin with the item below. It is a relatively new perfume dispenser, seen on the counters of high-end perfume shops in France. A certain seller offers varying versions of these on eBay nearly every week. He/She always calls them "absinthe fountains", and sets the starting price at about $79.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Marc Chevalier
post Oct 8 2003, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Elite Absinthe Enforcer

Member No.: 29

Another one:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Oct 9 2003, 01:43 AM
Post #9

Elitist Bastard

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

You could explain on the front page why there is no Logans Fils review. Someting like, "the losers who made this crappy absinthe whine too much about the bad reviews it gets, so we removed the reviews so we wouldn't have to listen to them cry."
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Oct 9 2003, 05:46 AM
Post #10

Unregistered

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
+Quote Post
turangalila
post Oct 9 2003, 07:03 AM
Post #11

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 40

One of the things I've always thought would've been helpful to me (and which isn't stated as explicitly as it should be) is a "How to judge good Absinthe" section in the FAQ. Something basic and rudimentary, at least, so people know what qualities they're looking for.

I remember when I was first trying to figure out what to order I really didn't have any idea what the variables were, what the differences between oil mixes and maceration and distillation were, and why they were important, why proper alcohol strength is crucial, etc.

Even just three basic points,

1. Distilled Absinthe is always preferable
2. 68% or higher is necessary, in order to be
3. Colored properly

Cut out most of the swill that's now on the market, and you're left with Emile and a few others. You could go into rudimentary herbal content as well, and what it should taste like, in this section. I don't really think it's explicit enough otherwise.

To me, it seems like that should be one of the first discussions in the faq. Give people the ability to judge properly for themselves, explain what the variables are in manufacture, and we won't have as many people choosing poorly made Absinthe.

--------------------
"Devant ma table vint s'asseoir / Un pauvre enfant vêtu de noir, / Qui me ressemblait comme un frère."
"I am not pysicist and do not claim to be one however, I believe the thoujon to accumulate in your system and after a while it startes to wear on you."
+Quote Post
turangalila
post Oct 9 2003, 07:08 AM
Post #12

Absinthusiast

Also, there're a few outdated statements, like "That said, a few of the modern Spanish brands seem to have the best hold on flavor (and some of the best prices), though Sebors of the Czech Republic is not half bad either."

If I were new again I'd find that pretty confusing, especially w/the later insistance on Un Emile/F.Guy.

--------------------
"Devant ma table vint s'asseoir / Un pauvre enfant vêtu de noir, / Qui me ressemblait comme un frère."
"I am not pysicist and do not claim to be one however, I believe the thoujon to accumulate in your system and after a while it startes to wear on you."
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Oct 9 2003, 07:37 AM
Post #13

Unregistered

First, I added this page 6 months ago: What is Absinthe?

And based the new rating system on it, which is linked all over the guide including the index. Perhaps linking it first off in the faq might make it more bludgeon-over-the-head clear. Granted, there is an awful lot of information here, and I know it can all be rather daunting. But I do try to make it easy to find.

Second, I've updated reviews when supplied, but with 65 + brands I just find it all rather daunting to go back and review them all by my lonesome.

Perhaps you'd like to volunteer? I'd like a 2000 report on my desk by Monday morning.
+Quote Post
turangalila
post Oct 9 2003, 09:20 AM
Post #14

Absinthusiast

Kallisti,

I didn't mean to be offensive about the suggestions in any way; you've put immense work into this and it's completely evident in all aspects of the site. I hope none was taken. I actually hadn't looked at the "What is Absinthe" page; it's quite nice.

(I'd actually probably really enjoy proofreading things but the vast majority of the people here know much more than I do, so I'd feel really out of place.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
sixela
post Oct 9 2003, 12:12 PM
Post #15

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (turangalila @ Oct 9 2003, 09:03 AM)

3. Colored properly

I hope you mean "coloured without artificial colour agents". Emile La Blanche (and Swiss HG La Bleue) are
not coloured, but they are not swill...

[Mind you, you're going to offend many Slerpis fans with that point, regardless of how you phrase
it]

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 02:47 PM