Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thelemic Centennial
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
chrysippvs
100 years ago today Aleister Crowley, of making people drink cat blood fame, received the first parts of the Liber AL vel Legis (Book of the Law) while in Cairo, Egypt.

user posted image

Oh, crazy uncle Al...
Absomphe
You sure you don't believe in reincarnation, bro? dev.gif
Hiram

93, 93/93.

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck shall be the whole of the law.
user posted image
Abnorman
Hiram,

A tip of the pyramid hat to you, Mr. Abiff!

Bill

biggrin.gif worshippy.gif
crosby
Head_prosthesis
Your eyes water too?

I always rub my eyes like that when
they're watering so I'm not using my
dirty fingers.

Hiram
Splendid, Cros!

Inspired by a post from Artemis.

user posted image
Artemis
Hiram, you're the freshest thing to come along here in a long time. You sometimes dazzle me and sometimes make me laugh out loud. But that last picture, I have to admit I don't know who that is in the middle, although I have the feeling I should.
Absomphe
It's his royal Stupidship, Carot Top, the alleged comedian.
G&C
"Dial straight down the middle.
It's free for you and cheap for them!"
Hiram
Thanks, Artemis.

Carot Top, the alleged comedian.
When I was working on Hitler I was thinking of who could possibly be Larry, and then I saw the hair...

user posted image
Absomphe
'Twas a brilliant choice indeed, Hiram.
Kirk
I laughed so hard my face turned red.
anticlimacus
Was "Magik in Theory and Practice" in Oprah's
book club? Either that or "Perfect Storm", I forget
which.
thegreenimp
Begin the incantation..........
Abnorman
From an as-yet-unseen edition of Martha Stewart Living: How to remove Aleister Crowley's shit stains from the living room carpet.

"It's a good thing."
Maldoror
And a sequel to that deals with white stains dev.gif
absinthist
Who has seen "Chemical wedding" which is very Crowley-related (possession, sci-fi machines, etc, usual stuff). Written by Dickinson of Iron Maiden?

So far, not bad a flicka, nevertheless, Crowley seems to be the master of charlatans, much ado about nothing and even his absinthe-related writing won't save him from being just heroin-driven, Egypt-obsessed quasi Satanist with paedophile inclinations.

It seems to be the very first movie depicting him in more or less accurate manner (Simon Callow is very akin to the original).
Artemis
The connection is to the Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz. Rosicrucians, Illuminati and all that.

Uncle Al was a con man and a pervert, but with a good sense of humor, and he was a better poet than credited, although his claim that he was better than Shakespeare is laughable (obviously). As always, it's hard to tell if he was serious about that - he was prone to taking a lot of mescaline, not to mention heroin in amounts that would have killed the average person. Not the kind of guy I would trust around the women and children.

He was never a "Satanist", contrary to popular belief.

If you want some insight into Crowley from the viewpoint of people who knew him, read the Magical Dilemma of Victor Neuberg, one of the best books I've ever read on any subject.

absinthist
The movie confirms your post. Looks like mescaline (peyotl) is being served during one of the rituals depicted in the movie (after Crowley possessed the professor Oliver). Interestingly, that ritual is very akin to the one described in "Kariera Nikodema Dyzmy" where it is performed by 12 women (in a Crowley movie, there are 12 people of both sexes) and the Great 13th-Dyzma himself. Definitely, Dołęga-Mostowicz must have known something about Crowley and that scene could have been written 'a propos'.

From what I read in my youth when I was interested and involved in such things, his works clearly present the hermetic approach to the Occult but not from within the Western Magick and Witchcraft, but the other way round. In fact, none of his rituals*, he and others performed together or alone seem to have a result in any visible manifestion of the ones, he was summoning or the the ones, who in fact, heard the summon (i.e. evil elementals and/or the particular demons of lesser ring). Lots of paraphenalia, unknown words, gestures and just same BS as free masons and Church of Satan with that norom™ La Vey.

*it is rumoured that he cast a spell on his last doctor, who died just after him. The movie depicts more spectacular spells-all very unlikely to happen, though.
Artemis
Crowley is supposed to have cast spells on a lot of people - once he supposedly responded to someone who was insulting him by making the guy bark like a dog.

He claimed to have summoned up all sorts of demons and gods, but witnesses are usually lacking. In their "Paris Working" he and Neuberg supposedly saw the god Mercury, but then mescaline was involved, so ....

Also, he and Neuberg did a ceremony in the desert in North Africa - Crowley said that he summoned a demon within a magic circle and the crafty demon threw sand on the circle, crossed it and attacked Neuberg, but I seem to remember that Neuberg confessed or at least allowed that it was actually Crowley who attacked him. They were probably high as kites on that occasion too so ...

Crowley only stayed with particular traditions of magic until they bored him and/or he had adapted the parts he found useful into his own "school", which evolved continually throughout his life. I think the Chemical Wedding was one of the first things he read in his youth.

My favorite Crowley work is the Book of Lies (a lot of humor in it) and my favorite verse in it is "Onion Peelings". It's profound and at the same time (like the title of the book) shows his con man sensibility:

The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General
at the Expense of the Particular, quoth FRATER
PERDURABO (Crowley), and laughed.
But those disciples nearest to him wept, seeing the
Universal Sorrow.
Those next to them laughed, seeing the Universal
Joke.
Below these certain disciples wept.
Then certain laughed.
Others next wept.
Others next laughed.
Next others wept.
Next others laughed.
Last came those that wept because they could not
see the Joke, and those that laughed lest they
should be thought not to see the Joke, and thought
it safe to act like FRATER PERDURABO.
But though FRATER PERDURABO laughed
openly, He also at the same time wept secretly;
and in Himself He neither laughed nor wept.
Nor did He mean what He said.

Here's another that I think is decent poetry - The Smoking Dog:

Each act of man is the twist and double of an hare.
Love and death are the greyhounds that course him.
God bred the hounds and taketh His pleasure in the
sport.
This is the Comedy of Pan, that man should think
he hunteth, while those hounds hunt him.
This is the Tragedy of Man when facing Love and
Death he turns to bay. He is no more hare, but
boar.
There are no other comedies or tragedies.
Cease then to be the mockery of God; in savagery of
love and death live thou and die!
Thus shall His laughter be thrilled through with
Ecstasy.

Patlow
Click to view attachment
Oxygenee
Pithily put, Patlow.
Artemis
Originally he said "brilliant", or something like that.

Now it's only the ghost of a post. A post der geist.
Patlow
Yeah, something went wrong there. I think there was a cartoon with Guinness people clinking glasses at some point.
R3al Caravano
I read somewhere that Crowley made absinthe with some unusual ingredients.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.