Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pontarlier Festival
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
lautrec's cane
For one endeavoring to attend the Pontarlier festival, could anyone provide the date,
prospective hotel accommodations, and event schedule?
hartsmar
It seems as the 2004 absinthiades will take place at 2-3 october.

For accomodation and further info, I guess you could contact the Pontarlier Tourist Information:

Mme Contejean Elisabeth
Directrice
14bis, rue de la Gare
25300 PONTARLIER
Tel : 03 81 46 48 33
Fax : 03 81 46 83 32
info@pontarlier.org
www.pontarlier.org

I doubt they speak much english though.
lautrec's cane
Kind thanks for the information, Hartsmar. I have recently finished a documentary film in New Orleans with Ted Breaux and expect that it should be ready for a premiere around that time.

Laissez le bon temps roulez, is it?
Head_prosthesis
Documentary?

Tell us more!
rjordan
It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the Jade mystery now would it? I'll hold my breath if that's the case.

gun thug.gif
hartsmar
QUOTE (lautrec's cane @ Apr 12 2004, 10:02 AM)
Kind thanks for the information, Hartsmar. I have recently finished a documentary film in New Orleans with Ted Breaux and expect that it should be ready for a premiere around that time.

THAT sounds interesting.

Also, I am hoping to be able to make it down to Pontarlier myself.
Hiram
QUOTE (lautrec's cane @ Apr 12 2004, 11:02 AM)

Only if you're in New Orleans. dev.gif

We'll be anxiously awaiting news of your film.
Rimbaud
Yeah, give us a brief synopsis or a tag line at least...
Deluge
I'd Like to see the Film! May I buy a copy? blink.gif

anticlimacus
It's not April 1 again, is it?
lautrec's cane

I would not hold my breath either unless I could
witness just exactly the lengths to which someone
would go to insure a product not only excels the
historical records but also positions it as the standard by which all future products will be compared. So what if the artist works in the realm of Silence and slow Time? It is all the better; if perfection is an unattainable ideal, one's pursuit of it may never cease. For that very same reason, one hundred years from now his products will be cherished treasures. They recieve my vote for the greatest artistic achievement of our age.

The film is an artisanal project aimed at a limited audience. It is exceedingly difficult to merge the informative and spectacular. Nothing is certain, but the content should delight and enlighten for generations to come. Education is, arguably, the highest form of entertainment. It is a visual monument that captures one of the more brilliant of our midst in a way that neither written record, nor print media will ever convey. The delivery made me imagine about the way Stepehen Hawking might articulate (if it were physically possible). It was fascinating to watch someone endowed with such a wealth of specialized knowledge careen through an array of thoughts and sift out a particular poignant choice of words. I am confident, in time, the remaing doubts will transform into sonorous, uniform awe.

For the newcomers (considering myself a detached observer with a form of Latitudinarian poise- wherever it is I fall in between) it serves as way by which they may view the elegant enjoyment of ours truly.
The Green Hour
Well, since I'm sure the members of this Forum are part of that 'limited audience' that would be interestied in your Film:

Do you have a distribution deal yet? Or, do you have a target date for when Copies would be available? Speaking for myself, I'd probably be interested in a DVD copy, regardless of whether it "delights and entertains" or not. I'd enjoy just being more informed on the Subject.

Btw, I agree with what you said about letting the Product development proceed at it's own pace. But to be honest: your hyperbole about "the greatest artistic achievement of our age" was a bit much.

If the Product is 'all that,' it's quality will speak for itself. Especially, to the people who love Absinthe.

I just hope that the Maker is satisfied enough with the Product, to release it sometime in the near Future. So, we can all enjoy it too.
Rimbaud
Yeah, that post was a wee bit pretentious and long-winded. How about just the facts, eh?
lautrec's cane
It's just my opinion. Artistic achievement encompasses an array of mediums, but in
our age and political climate it is rare to
see such a valiant effort to attain the level
that is being attempted in this situation.

The ghosts from the past that overhang
our own repartees are still to be exorcised.
This film strives to do such. It begins with
an interview that focuses on the subject
of what separates the best from the good.
It outlines the progress to our present-day
situation. Thoughout, the Jade Mystery
is a common thread. It finishes with a
guided tasting.

There have been a few talks of distribution
deals, but it is still in the rudimentary
screen-test stage. We'll see how it is
recieved, first. Hopefully, it will prove
to be a valuable historical document.
Rimbaud
I am interested. Please keep us updated.
Jack Batemaster
Emmy Empress?
hedwig_rockstar
I am very interested in the documetary. I'm not saying I would kill to see it of course, but there is the distinct possibility I may maim someone.
lautrec's cane
Now if we could only find a theatre that would
allow for bistro tables, fountains and moderate
consumption...
hartsmar
Well, lautrec, it's all about how picky you are.
I've got a surround sound system and a big screen TV. I could easily get a couple of bistro tables set up in my living room , and I'd happily allow more than moderate consumption!

harhar.gif
lautrec's cane
Hartsmar, that sounds like a good time.
I guess a better question would be
(which I will have to contact the festival director),
is there a cinema in Pontarlier that we could
arrange a screening?
pierreverte
contact the museum and ask if it can be played in the theatre that hosts the antique vendors. not a theatre now, really, but a large space where they have shown films (in a corner) on a continuous replay during the festival.
www.admdp.com
Patlow
i am so f'ing there!

LARS!.gif
pierreverte
don't get too excited...one must bring his own party to pontarlier... Tombstone.gif
Gertz
But if enough people do that, it could still be great fun. It's not impossible that I'll be going.
pierreverte
hey, i go every year, hoping more people i know (and like) will show up to party.
in 2002, we drank vintage pernod fils and english HG in the restaurant of the hotel de la poste (with the consent of the waiter), studying rare spoons about to be sent to betty (two were fakes) and watched marie-claude delahaye act like she was ready to bitch-slap benoît noël, while refusing to have a glass of vintage because she was not an 'absintheuse.'
the next night, we were not allowed in with our bottles, and were turned away because we could have caused the place to have been shut down for 6 months. we drank in the hotel room.
last year, the germans (peter of absinthmonde & co.) brought 100 different absinth(e)s for display (they could not be served openly) though they were tasted after-hours. this would have been amusing had anyone else been told about it except for benoît, who didn't tell us.
if you contact the museum and tell them you are skilled at tasting absinthe, they would probably put you on the jury, as it changes every year. not that the results will change, mind you...

not exactly LCLF04, but the seeds are there...reinforcements are needed...pontarlier needs an enema.
Steve
I'm looking forward to it! I will definitely be there on Sunday, but Saturday is still a question (my partner flies back to the U.S. from Paris on Sunday AM and I'm still negotiating...). It would be great if there were more people from here!
dangerousangels
So does this event take place at about the same time every year, around the beginning of October? My wife and I have discussed maybe attending, so I am curious.

pierreverte:
"next night, we were not allowed in with our bottles, and were turned away because we could have caused the place to have been shut down for 6 months"
shock.gif

What's that all about? How taboo is absinthe exactly, in France? (I have very little frame of reference, other than this forum)
Wouldn't that be sort of like an Octoberfest with out serving the beer?
Or a bring your own booze party that you can not openly drink at.

Are the people who attend able to purchase absinthe from vendors or is strictly for the collecting of absinthiana?
...of course, it still sounds like a lot of fun to me. Twist my poor rubber arm to ogle pretty antiques and maybe take one or two home.
Oxygenee
QUOTE (dangerousangels @ Apr 20 2004, 05:34 PM)

Wouldn't that be sort of like an Octoberfest with out serving the beer?

It's so not the Oktoberfest.

But hey, I'll be there this year.
pierreverte
>What's that all about? How taboo is absinthe exactly, in France? (I have very little frame of reference, other than this forum)

restaurant management claimed 'absinthe' was illegal in france and if it was found on the premises by the cops, there would be hell to pay (which i don't doubt) and was pissed that we put them at risk, even though we asked if was ok (and were surprised they said yes) and were even served water and snacks to go with it while explaining absinthe to the waiter.

>Wouldn't that be sort of like an Octoberfest with out serving the beer?

that's always been my take on it...

>Or a bring your own booze party that you can not openly drink at.

i brought a bottle of oxygénée to the absinthe festival in boversesse in 2001 and the president of the event had to hold off the cops, because it was not legal (and still is not legal in switzerland because of the artificial food coloring).

actually very little absinthe is served (or drunk) at boveresse (but the local 'la bleu' dealer will take you back to his apartment for a sampling) and there was NO absinthe served at the pontarlier absinthiades (except at the distilleries), even though they had a bar that served beer and over 100 on display from peter in germany.

>Are the people who attend able to purchase absinthe from vendors

no buying from vendors (i've never even seen françois guy show up outside of his distillery), but you can walk to the distilleries or purchase from the wine-shop in town.

> or is strictly for the collecting of absinthiana?

pretty much that and books. the museum forced all authors to pay 30% on all their sales (and not other sellers) because they were losing book business at the museum during the event, so marie-claude delahaye boycotted the entire event and set up in an antique shop down the street to sell her books. it would have been a real show of dignity had there not been antique carafes with fake engraving on them and a fake eiffel tower spoon being sold as real right next to her during the signing. she has even removed all mention of the absinthiades in her second printing of 'petit traité de l'Absinthe'...

it's really been up to us to make it actually fun (and involve something completely out of the ordinary, like drinking absinthe) because the locals just continue to fuck it up, and it's only been going on for two years...
ahhhh, there's always villiers-le-lac and hugues droz's restaurant...if i can talk oxygénée into returning...
Oxygenee
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Apr 20 2004, 09:12 PM)
ahhhh, there's always villiers-le-lac and hugues droz's restaurant...if i can talk oxygénée into returning...

Book a table NOW!
....Feuillantine de Homard aux Noix....hmmm...
pierreverte
you mean...?

Oxygenee
I think last time we just had the tasting portion.

I wonder if he could Supersize it?
pierreverte
avec frites?
Abnorman
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Apr 19 2004, 07:51 PM)
...and watched marie-claude delahaye act like she was ready to bitch-slap benoît noël, while refusing to have a glass of vintage because she was not an 'absintheuse.' 

After endorsing La Fée, could you blame her? harhar.gif

user posted image
Absomphe
Well, I understand the politics of pride, but that was nearly three years ago...

I say, you may be a respected absinthe author and historian, but that doesn't mean you can't evolve, wench! shock.gif
Steve
Yay! I get to meet Oxy! I'm looking forward to that!
lautrec's cane
This sounds like the beginning
of a beautiful...
lautrec's cane
The attendance figures seem a bit askew. Is it
more like 200 or 2000?
sixela
QUOTE (The Green Hour @ Apr 14 2004, 08:57 AM)
it's quality will speak for itself.

12 on the pet peeve scale -- I can hear the tremors.
sixela
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Apr 14 2004, 09:06 PM)
Emmy Empress?

Naah -- he's not used "henceforth" or "forthwith" yet.

And people find my vocabulary idiosyncratic?
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Apr 19 2004, 05:51 PM) *

pontarlier needs an enema.

This year's Absinthiades bumper-sticker?
Marc
No, this year's bumper-stickers will be:
"desperately seeking hotel"
Side by side with:
"beware! hooligans inside"
hartsmar
I don't know if there's a use for me to go. I might as well just go to Copenhagen airport and spend the weekend there.
Marc
AH!
Bitter?
The Standard Deviant
Gammel Dansk?
hartsmar
Bäska Droppar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.