Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mailman Mike Came By
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Artemis
From the Dark Continent!!

user posted image

I wonder what it could be?

Monkey Pox?

Osama's left nut?

Or even,

circa 1910 Absinthe Pernod Fils
circa 1910 Peres Chartreux Grande Chartreuse Verte Tarragona
circa 1910 Rocher Fils Anisette
circa 1910 Guillot Kirschwasser

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA cough, choke ......
rjordan
Daaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like some good stuff.

gun thug.gif
Morrigan
I'm pullin' for the Monkey Pox.

You lucky #@&%, you.
rjordan
for the Monkey Pox.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

gun thug.gif
Absomphe
Green monkey pox, perhaps..

Oh, no wait, that's not the kind of green you'd want.
Artemis
I was sorely disappointed to open the colorful package and find only samples from some Zulu shyster trying to make it big in Louisiana in the snowball syrup business this summer (snowballs may be snowcones, or Hawaii Ice to you non-Cajuns). He wanted my opinion.

He included four flavors:

Anise n' Fennel
Nothin but Anise
Monks Herbs
KrautCherry

I told him to forget it. Everybody down there likes Watermelon, or "Pink Lady", or "Bubblegum". One of them is at least in the ballpark with Monkey Pox, though. Maybe if he renamed it Green Monkey .... yeah, that's the ticket.
Jack Batemaster
Yesterday, I got a package from the mailman. It had "Examined by US Customs" tape all over the box. This box was empty.
Hiram
That sucks a whole lot. May I ask from whence it came?
Jack Batemaster
I'll tell you on Saturday...or better yet, I'll PM you.
verbal_kraze
Damn that does suck. Hope it wasn't circa 1910 Snowball Syrup
thegreenimp
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 13 2004, 05:31 PM)
I was sorely disappointed to open the colorful package and find only samples from some Zulu shyster trying to make it big in Louisiana in the snowball syrup business this summer

I wish we had a snowball stand with those flavors here....... yes.gif
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE (verbal_kraze @ Apr 13 2004, 02:47 PM)
Damn that does suck. Hope it wasn't circa 1910 Snowball Syrup

Fortunately, it wasn't.
musicgeek
I too am sorry to hear of your customs woes. I'm assuming that it was likely an HG which makes me feel even worse for you. frusty.gif

At least it wasn't a vintage sample from Oxy. Did you guys ever work that out for LCLF?
Jack Batemaster
HG - yes, sort of.

I don't know if there will be any Vintage at LCLF. If there is - I'm not aware of it - but I hope so!
dgT
I also received the same mysterious looking package. Mine came with a selection of Nigerian letters telling me I could get millions of $ transferred to my account if I gave them the information they needed. I of course complied....still waiting for the money to show up. sleepy.gif
rjordan
If it doesn't show up within the week, just send me cash. I'll talk to them and I'll make sure you get what you deserve.

gun thug.gif
Deluge
A little box made its way from Africa to the Midwest this afternoon! I wonder what it could be? w00t2.gif

Ahh yes! A wooden mask, a leather strap, some discarded teeth, a sample of Pernod Fils, and a ground squirrel!

Mmmm. I am gonna have me some squirrel tonight!
hartsmar
Mmmmm
Absomphe
"A little box made its way from Africa to the Midwest this afternoon! I wonder what it could be?"

Dr. Livingstone, I presume? blink.gif

Oxygenee
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Apr 15 2004, 07:12 PM)
"A little box made its way from Africa to the Midwest this afternoon! I wonder what it could be?"

Pliny said it best....
Hiram
The Greeks have a saying: "There's always something new and weird coming out of Africa."

But what does absinthe have to do with cross-breeding lions? dev.gif
Deluge
Yeah? blink.gif
Jack Batemaster
I thought the saying was: "Never leave your sheep with a Greek."
Absomphe
No, Jack...

Hartsmar says that, but out of a purely selfish motive!
dev.gif
G&C
No, I heard it first the way Jack said it, although many years ago. pirate2.gif

I guess that also means Hartsmar must be right!

gun thug.gif
Oxygenee
QUOTE (Hiram @ Apr 15 2004, 09:29 PM)
The Greeks have a saying: "There's always something new and weird coming out of Africa."

But what does absinthe have to do with cross-breeding lions?  dev.gif

What the Greek proverb actually said, was Libya is always producing something new.

Aristotle mentions this in his Historia Animalium, when discussing the varied wildlife found there. The Greeks didn't actualy know the word "Africa", only Libya (the south Mediterranean coast) and Ethiopia (everywhere else).

Pliny then quotes this saying when discussing lions bonking leopards in his Historia Naturalis, but being Roman, substitutes Africa for Libya.

It's slightly shortened in common usage to Ex Africa Semper Aliquid Novi. It's a popular saying here in...er...Africa.
Hiram
Hey, I just know what I read up there in your clip. ; )
Oxygenee
Yeah, but I thought you might like to know the deep background.
Laurent
offtopic2.gif

Speaking of South Africa...

I have seen mention of a South African absinthe called "Doubs" on this site and in "A Myth Always Green."

Have you tried it, Oxy?

(Or anyone else for that matter?)

offtopic2.gif
Oxygenee
Yes I know it well. The guys behind it are nice people, and I assisted them with some background material for their PR and press campaigns, but wasn't involved in the product development at all (other than to tell them they shouldn't be making it the way they are...).

It's basically a Sebor-type oil-mix with some lemony notes, sold locally at $15/bottle. It's becoming quite popular in the club/bar environment here, and I believe they are also exporting it to Australia amongst other countries.
Hiram
There have a really slick site, too. At first I found their candor to be refreshing:
Doubs Premium Absinthe is distributed by TNB(Pty) Limited, a dynamic company specializing in trendy alcoholic beverages.

Then I read that thujone is extracted from distilled wormwood leaves and is an essentil active ingredient in absinthe. And that they use the maximum allowed by law.

Oh well.
morgueann
I'm guessing that you've all seen this: click.
Especially you, Artemis. Scary stuff. blink.gif
musicgeek
Very frightening indeed. blink.gif
Artemis
Especially you, Artemis.

No. I never go looking on the Internet for absinthe disinformation. Those sites may have some comedy value, but I can find better humor elsewhere.
Jaded Prole
Tell us that your avatar and the "greenman's logo being identical is just an amazing coincidence blink.gif

sleepy.gif sleepy.gif sleepy.gif sleepy.gif sleepy.gif

Artemis
Tell us that your avatar and the "greenman's logo being identical is just an amazing coincidence

I have no idea what you're talking about. The avatar was a calling card left for me at the Louche Lounge by Pierre Verte (there's a hidden pun if you understand French). Where he got it, I didn't ask.
Artemis
Okay, now I get it. My avatar is all over that website pointed out by Morqueann. I didn't realize that when I first checked it - I didn't see any graphics because normally I keep that turned off in my browser. I just saw the garbage concoctions and left after reading a few words. I've a hundred avatars; I'm not too worried.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.