Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Home Distillation Discussion
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > Administrative News & Site Updates
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Admin
We have stated in the past that we cannot allow the discussion
of home distillation. We must now insist in more detail that
the discussion of, the (discussion of) purchasing of, posting
photos of, or the reviewing and adoration of any home distillation
product/experiment is STRICTLY PROHIBITED on FeeVerte.

Home distillation is a criminal activity. Purchasing home brew
is also a criminal activity.

We understand how this compromises your freedom of speech and
how it will affect the discussions of the get togethers and
Absinthe in general. However home distillation is a
highly monitored criminal activity.

If you feel obliged to discuss these things please do so privately
or elsewhere.

We have very sound reasons for such a drastic directive.
Kindly be mindful of this and please accept our sincere apologies.

Regards
Kallisti & Admin
Hiram
Aye, aye, cap'ns. pirate2.gif

Do you think it might be appropriate to ammend the Forum Etiquette to read something to the effect of:

Due to recent events, as of May 2004 the Sepulchritude Forums cannot allow the technical discussion of the distillation of spirits, the discussion of, discussing the purchasing of, posting photos of, or the reviewing and adoration of any home distillation product/experiment, as such activities are illegal in the U.S. and carry severe penalties. This is in order to protect the forum participants from unwanted attention from such agencies as the ATF. Please be aware that this is a publicly read forum, and keep that in mind when making your posts. Inappropriate posts will be deleted. Please contact a moderator if you have any questions.

Also, it may be wise to give 'em a heads up (as it were) over at the Lounge.
Artemis
Also, it may be wise to give 'em a heads up (as it were) over at the Lounge.

They know about it.
Wolfgang
If I'm not mistaking, buying (importing) absinthe in the US is also in itself an illegal activity, which means we should stop talking about ANY absinthes poured in the US.

Just to be consistant you know...

Anyway, I understand and fully support this new rules update.
tabreaux
QUOTE (Wolfgang @ Apr 30 2004, 06:55 PM)
If I'm not mistaking, buying (importing) absinthe in the US is also in itself an illegal activity, which means we should stop talking about ANY absinthes poured in the US.

But under ordinary circumstances that does not constitute criminal activity, and this should be clarified.
Conju
Did something happen to provoke this? Or is it just precautionairy, as it were?
Absomphe
oops
dr_ordinaire
Kallisti, doesn't the Homebrewing section of the FAQ break this new rule?
MrGreenGenes
To my knowledge it is not illegal to soak herbs in vodka, so referring to this technique should not be problematic.
BlackJack
...except to the tastebuds...
dr_ordinaire
Actually I was referring to the links to home distilling sites in the Homebrewing section and the description of the distilling process in the Historical Recipes section.

Mind you, I'm not critizicing, I thought this might have been overlooked by Admin.
Kallisti
No, they haven't been overlooked. The direct references I supply are historical documents and I link to offsite resources for people to get practical data. I believe providing information of this nature neither endangers people here nor breaks the law.

I hope so anyway.
Conju
I would save those pages on your hard drives, just in case.
MrGreenGenes
One of the unintended effects of the DMCA was that websites could be shut down not only for posting copyrighted data but even providing links to copyrighted data on completely different sites!

But copyright is not an issue here. The links are just links to information, and should be no different that a public library that might carry a book about distillation. The position of the FAQ is "we don't talk about home distillation. If that's what you're looking for, go here."

Trishymouse
absintheglass-glow2.gif
If anyone knows a link to the laws prohibiting Absinthe in general, and home brewing in particular, please post here.

I'll look myself and if I find it, I'll post it...
Absomphe
Happy Birthday, Trishy!

There are no laws prohibiting home brewing, that refers to beermaking.

Home "macerating" of absinthe isn't illegal either.

You mean home distillation, which IS illegal, be it absinthe, or any other liquor!
Trishymouse
I found some law about this online...

American Law concerning Absinthe

If I'm reading it right, homebrewing isn't illegal per se, but requires a license??

Trishymouse
By the way, thank you for remembering my birthday, that is thoughtful. I shall spend my evening off of work doing what I normally do - trying to get as much writing done as possible...a never-ending task, but I enjoy the processes (online content mostly, but other venues, too...)

The Journey (personal website)
The Waiting Place
Writer's Block
Our Mothers
The Journey blog
Hiram
Hey Trish! You made it. Cheers!

abs-cheers.gif
Conju
I told you I had healing powers! I could be the next doctor frankenstein!
Hiram
Psssst, conju.
traineraz
offtopic2.gif

Welcome to NOT THE LOUNGE.

>hint, hint<
Absomphe
QUOTE (Trishymouse @ May 10 2004, 02:21 PM)
I found some law about this online...

American Law concerning Absinthe

If I'm reading it right, homebrewing isn't illegal per se, but requires a license??

One doesn't require a license to homebrew...the only restriction placed upon the homebrewer, is a certain number of maximum gallons per household per year, but I've never heard of that being enforced.

Once again, we are talking home BREWING here, not absinthe macerating.
I_B_Puffin
I think most of the laws about legal distillation can be found at www.atf.gov but that is only at the federal level. There are also state laws to consider.
tabreaux
QUOTE (Trishymouse @ May 10 2004, 01:21 PM)

Some brief info...

Anyone can buy retailed alcohol and macerate it with herbs without legal implications, so long as it is for personal use and is not being resold (which is a big no-no).

Distillation opens up a virtual 'pandora's box' of applicable federal and state implications. Said implications begin with the mere ownership of a device that constitutes an unlicensed still (a criminal offense in itself), worsen with operation of the same, and become exceptionally damning if the product of such activity is bought/sold.

The 'license' mentioned refers to acquiring a license from the ATF to own/operate a still. While the concept seems simple enough, in actuality it's easier to acquire a license to own/operate fully automatic weapons.
Lord Stanley
God Bless America
Absomphe
sp_ike.gif
Lord Stanley
tongue.gif
Jaded Prole
In Virginia, it would be easier to obtain components for WMDs than to get permission to buy Everclear, though you can get it from eleswhere online.

Then again, in Virginian only the missionary position between legally married people is legal.
Admin
Hmmmm?

It seems now, that not only are you not supposed
to discuss home distillation, you will also not be able
to discuss Spirits Corner.

Head_prosthesis
Yeah! They raised the price of Serpis! DAMN!!!!
Steve
thegreenimp
I was surprised by their "announcement". frusty.gif
traineraz
Shocking, ain't it? shock.gif
Lord Stanley
I'm sure that package would just fly through customs without a hitch.
I_B_Puffin
Did anyone respond? I sent Federico an email telling him that owning a still in this country was a crime, and it would probably be best not to sell them here. I also told him that selling ingedients would ok.
I_B_Puffin
Maybe I should have added that artemisia should be labeled, not for human consumption.
traineraz
Nah, you can get it at the health food store.

Gets rid of tape worms, ya know.

Also an abortifacient, so if yer pregnant or nursing, don't use it.
tabreaux
QUOTE (I_B_Puffin @ May 12 2004, 09:41 PM)
I also told him that selling ingedients would ok.

It may be ok...so long as it is accompanied by a legal phytosanitary certificate.

It's never as easy as it seems is it?
I_B_Puffin
Is a phytosanitary certificate needed for dried spices?
I_B_Puffin
Federico mailed me back.

Thank you very much for your information.

Owing a pot still for spirits distillation is also illegal in Spain, but the
stills we are thinking of are very small: 5, 10, 15 liters, so that they are
sold as decorative items. You can find them in some stores. What you cannot
find are bigger stills. It is similar to glass stills (if they are called
like this, the typical glass things in a chemistry laboratory), with which
you also can distill a spirit. This is the situation here in Spain.

I thank you for your comments on the herbs, we will include them a little
further on.
Conju
Nevmind.
Hiram
QUOTE (I_B_Puffin @ May 13 2004, 09:46 PM)
Is a phytosanitary certificate needed for dried spices?

Nothing spooky and mysterious. A phytosanitary certificate is required in the import/export of most plant matter - which plant matter varies from country to country. They just want to make sure that you're not importing something that could be the next kudzu and doesn't contain any nasties that will kill us all or adversely effect our argriculture: "Under the International Plant Protection Convention, it has been agreed that all signatory countries will carry out the required inspection and treatment to ensure that quarantine and other noxious pests are not disseminated along with plants and plant products exported from their respective countries. "

It's obvious that spices and herbs are a huge import/export commodity and it's no big deal so long as the necessary inspections have been made. Read all about it.
traineraz
Probably easier to buy them in the States, anyway.

Cheaper, too!
I_B_Puffin
I thought some of the ingredients like Artemisia pontica weren't easily availables in the US, since Artemisia plants are generally banned for use in foods.

I checked the website and it looks like
SPICES BOTTLED OR PACKAGED FOR RETAIL
don't need phytosanitary certification, which I suspected, but wasn't sure. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/pim/exports/...ommodities.html
Conju
So is it legal to own a still for decorative purposes?
Head_prosthesis
Decorative purposes should be illegal.

Form is bad. Function is good.

Long Live the New Flesh.
Hiram
Fuck Mies Van der Rohe.
Abnorman
QUOTE (conju @ May 18 2004, 12:05 AM)
So is it legal to own a still for decorative purposes?

I found this
user posted image
here: http://www.italiancookingandliving.com/sto...distillery.html
Apparently it's used for making grappa.

traineraz
Doesn't look like it'd make a whole helluvalot of grappa.

A grape's worth?

. . . and the Farnsworth House is stunning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.