Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beltane is here!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
dr_ordinaire
Merry Beltane to all ye Pagans in the Forum, specially our Pagan Elder, Artemis.

Time to open that HG that has been ageing for a year and a day to share with a friend whose spiced mead has been waiting as long, while looking at the Ladies wearing their wild-flower chaplets. Don't they all look particularly beautiful today?

Ah, this is the one day I envy you, NorthHemispherians!

It should be Samhain here, but it doesn't feel like it.

It's a bitch to be a Pagan in the wrong side of the world...
Artemis
Thanks, Doc, but today is May Day, but not Beltane.

Beltane is when the Sun is 15 degrees into Taurus.

That's next Wednesday.

Celebration on May 1st is a modern convenience for those who can't be bothered to keep an eye on the sky.

Since a soaking rain wet my wood yesterday, a Bel-fire would have been quite a fizzle. I'm hoping to recoup next week. Unfortunately I have no "HG", but I do have some 1910 Pernod Fils. And two bottles of Oregon Mead.
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE (Artemis @ May 1 2004, 06:02 AM)

Beltane is when the Sun is 15 degrees into Taurus.

That's next Wednesday.

I'll be darned! Thanks for the correction. I think it'll be news to more than one Pagan friend.

As to having to make do with Pernod 1910... be strong...
traineraz
Dr. O -

I don't know you beyond your well-publicized error with AA in the coloring step and occasional unwillingness to let go of an argument or two, and I'm not Pagan.

However, regardless of calendars vs. degrees of inclination of the sun, I thank you for your well-wishing, just as Artemis did.
Absomphe
" I have no "HG", but I do have some 1910 Pernod Fils. And two bottles of Oregon Mead."

Well, heck Artemis, I guess that Pernod will do , in a pinch!

dev.gif
Absinthedrinker
My bonfire was also wettened Artemis, but I am hopeful for Wednesday. In India, from where I have recently returned from an extended stay, Spring is celebrated with Holi, the festival of colours. It is a wild time where powder paint and coloured water are thrown and eating and drinking bhang laced cookies and milkshakes is de rigeur. So everyone gets covered in paint, gets high then goes home and has great sex. What more could you ask for from a Spring festival?
traineraz
What's bhang?

If I steep it in vodka, will I Trip Balz™? w00t2.gif

Are we all going to India for Holi LoucheFest 2005?
Absinthedrinker
Bhang is ground leaves of Cannabis indica mixed with spices and used as a flavouring. It is only openly available around Holi. You can get an idea of how the celbrations go here:

http://www.absintheoriginals.com/Private.htm
dangerousangels
QUOTE (Artemis @ May 1 2004, 06:02 AM)
to keep an eye on the sky.

In the city,
one can not see so clearly.
In the city,
stars are blurred when going by.
In the city,
it is hard to keep your eyes on the sky.

But, a happy belated May Day none the less!!!!!!
Bhang laced cookies? Get painted, get high AND have great sex?
My wife and I played at a hot spring this weekend.
We certainly had a VERY similar spring 'festival'.
Later we found several garnets in the shist(host rock) in a stream while hiking.

Happy Beltane too. Next Wednesday, as in the 12th?Or this Wednesday just after the full moon as in the 5th???
Absomphe
I believe Artemis meant the 5th.
sixela
QUOTE (dangerousangels @ May 3 2004, 06:08 PM)
Happy Beltane too. Next Wednesday, as in the 12th?Or this Wednesday just after the full moon as in the 5th???

Hint: spring equinox is around 21st of March. Summer solstice is around the 21st of June. Count days, and divide by two. The rest is left as an exercise to the reader.

[I'd prefer to say Beltrane is the midpoint between the vernal equinox and summer solstice; at least you don't depend on those silly Greek figures in the sky that aren't where they're supposed to be: since the earth is spinning (slowly) like a top, those of us with an eye to the present-day sky won't really say the Taurus zodiacal band agrees with the constellation. Blame astrologists for being lazy and refusing to make up a new and improved zodiacal band.]
dangerousangels
QUOTE (Absomphe @ May 3 2004, 10:26 AM)
I believe Artemis meant the 5th.

I did too, and then I thought, wait...next Wednesday???
dr_ordinaire
Sabbats for 2004

Imbolg Feb. 2 (Actual date*: Feb. 3, 6:50 am)
Ostara (Spring Equinox) March 20, 1:49 am
Beltane May 1 (Actual date: May 5, 12 am)
Litha (Summer Solstice) June 20, 8:57 pm
Lammas Aug. 1 (Actual date: Aug. 7, 12:03 am)
Mabon (Fall Equinox) Sept. 22, 12:30 pm
Samhain, Oct. 31 (Actual date: Nov. 6, 8:46 pm)
Yule (Winter Solstice) Dec. 21, 7:42 am

*Actual time denotes the time when the Sun is 15 degrees into the fixed signs of the zodiac, the exact astrogical times of the Greater Sabbats. Imbolg is 15 degrees Aquarius. Beltane is 15 degrees Taurus. Lammas is 15 degrees Leo. Samhain is 15 degrees Scorpio. The dates listed first for these sabbats are the traditional dates celebrated by pagans. I have no explanation as to why the Lesser Sabbats (Ostara, Litha, Mabon, and Yule) are traditionally celebrated at the exact times and the Greater Sabbats are not. However, I have chose to celebrate the exact times. This means I'm celebrating a few days later than most pagans and witches, but since I'm solitary, it works for me.

All EST, corrected for Daylight Saving.
dr_ordinaire
This is the website where I found that info, also moon phases:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy...6/2003moon.html
I_B_Puffin
Nice to know I didn't miss it. Now to go to the Hallmark store and get some Happy Beltane day cards.
Artemis
I meant the 5th of May - tomorrow (for me anyway).

That's "Old Beltane", which was also May Day in former times. You don't need to do math or watch the sky. In the old days, an elder of some sort who did watch the sky would have let everyone else know what day it was. Today, you can do what I did - consult an ephemeris. There are many on the Internet.

For a discussion, see: www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7280/beltane.html
dangerousangels
QUOTE (Artemis @ May 4 2004, 08:09 AM)
You don't need to do math or watch the sky. In the old days, an elder of some sort who did watch the sky would have let everyone else know what day it was.

Artemis, did you see the article in National Geographic concerning the bronze age "Sky Disc".
It was a tool for determining the seasons, solstices and equinoxes in ancient Germany.
It was three months back, maybe January, I believe.
Mars was the cover story.
Very cool article. Very much worth checking out for the history, the story is very entertaining.
Happy Beltane folks!

dr_ordinaire
QUOTE (Absinthedrinker @ May 2 2004, 10:54 AM)
In India, from where I have recently returned from an extended stay, Spring is celebrated with Holi, the festival of colours. It is a wild time where powder paint and coloured water are thrown and eating and drinking bhang laced cookies and milkshakes is de rigeur.

It is certainly a Holi day when you can get more bhang for your buck...
Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Dr_Ordinaire @ May 6 2004, 04:15 AM)
QUOTE (Absinthedrinker @ May 2 2004, 10:54 AM)
In India, from where I have recently returned from an extended stay, Spring is celebrated with Holi, the festival of colours. It is a wild time where powder paint and coloured water are thrown and eating and drinking bhang laced cookies and milkshakes is de rigeur.

It is certainly a Holi day when you can get more bhang for your buck...
Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

I hear there's a two-for-special, at the Chicken Ranch, this week! harhar.gif
Hiram
We do chicken rites!

Zombie3.gif Zombie3.gif user posted image Zombie3.gif Zombie3.gif
Artemis
We do chicken rites!

chickawow.gif

Angels: No, I didn't see it. The only magazine I buy is the National Enquirer. The only place I see the Geographic is in waiting rooms and such. But I'll see if the local library has it. Thanks for the tip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.