Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rilke Poem?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
ripperbard
Hello all,

Been haunting a while and thought I should say hi, though I'll likely have to return to the shadows soon. Also wanted to ask if anyone knows the name of the Rilke piece where a poet drinks absinthe and, as he looks in his glass, says "Spring is here." I've found the quote a couple places online but it's never cited beyond the year he wrote it. I've been enjoying absinthe for a while now and have held even longer that Rilke is more or less God, so of course am interested in finding the whole piece. Are there other absinthe references anywhere in Rilke? If anyone knows, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

I'll be around.
RB

abs-cheers.gif
The Green Hour
First off, Welcome!!!

I was using that line of Rilke as my Sig. for awhile. I've read alot of his Poetry, but that is the first referance to Absinthe that I've seen.

I found the quote in the Book "Absinthe History in a Bottle" by Barnard Conrad III.

I'm not even sure if it's from a Poem, or from Rilke's letters or another source. Here is the full quote:

"In 1899, Rainer Maria Rilke wroe about absinthe and a Czech Poet named Machal:

For awhile the poet gazed silently into his glass of absinthe and replied softly and dolefully:

Spring is Here.

All expected something else to follow but the poet again seemed to be on the way to the pallid garden of his dreams. He saw his glass of absinthe grow and grow until he felt himself in hte center of its opal light, weightless, completly dissolved in this strange atmosphere."
ripperbard
Man that's a nice quote. Seeing the whole thing, it does seem more like a prose excerpt--maybe from Malte Laurids Brigge or his diaries. By way of further introduction and explanation, I'm a grad-school poet who's been in "The Big One" of writer's slumps this last year. Came to absinthe through its reputation and tradition among poets and found it lovely in itself and as an occasional tool, but that, as always, I just can't write for crap while intoxicated to any degree. So, I've been going back to Rilke (my aforementioned God) and reading up on the sacred, and finding my last two stages of muse-chasing together is an interesting little discovery.

I did catch another Rilke reference, this time directly to wormwood and absinthe, as I looked around online. It's fromSeven Phallic Poems, and is mentioned directly in the fifth section. I've only seen the poem appear in print in a little collection of excerpts Norton published called "On Love and Other Difficulties," which was basically sections from Rilke's letters, journals and a few poems.

Thanks for the full quote. I have the Conrad book also, but there's no Rilke in the bibliography. I'm currently surrounded by Rilke books, though, so perhaps it's time to fill up the fountain, light a few candles, and dig in.
Azai
Though I am not able to help you with your question I am dropping in to say Hello and Welcome Ripperbard!

abs-cheers.gif
Hiram
As am I: welcome!

abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
Welcome Indeed, Ripperbard!

Mysterious serial killer, and Druid...fascinating combination!!! blink.gif abs-cheers.gif
Abnorman
Ripperbard? Isn't that the district in Hamburg where the Beatles played in their early days?

Sorry. Welcome, Ripperbard! abs-cheers.gif
ripperbard
Thanks, all. Good to be here. The screen name is a leftover from my undergrad days, when I became known for a series of love poems in the voice of Jack the Ripper. I only still like one of those poems, but the name's been good to me.

My air conditioner is out and it's humid in Texas. The warmth from my laptop is entirely unacceptable. Thought I'd just stop by and throw one more toast up in thanks for all the "welcomes."

Cheers again. abs-cheers.gif
MarKoPoLo
Can't help in this department but thought i should just say, "Welcome!" abs-cheers.gif

enjoy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.