Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Musick
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Under the Bridge
Nebmaatre
New here, so this may have been asked before: what are people listening to whilst they drink?
deam
Shellac...
Slayer...
Sigur Ros...
Kyuss...
Slint...
Big'n...
Massive Attack...

...to name a few.

Also: Hello & welcome!

abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
Usually nature...

Our apartment complex was built on a wetlands preserve.

Welcome!!! abs-cheers.gif
Abnorman
Hello & welcome!

What I listen to:
Miles Davis, the Orb, Erik Satie, Claude Debussy, Kate Bush, Richard Thompson.

What I don't listen to:
Anything with yodelling in it.

abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
How about accordions? abs-cheers.gif
Abnorman
QUOTE (Absomphe @ May 14 2004, 01:17 PM)
How about accordions?
What do you call an accordion player at the bottom of a lake?
A good start.

Leo Kottke told a story about an accordion player who went barhopping after a gig. He left his accordion on the back seat of the car but left his car unlocked. After he was done barhopping, he looked in his back window and sure enough, there were three more accordions!

abs-cheers.gif
Artemis
what are people listening to whilst they drink?

I've often wondered. God? Frogs?

What do you call an accordion player at the bottom of a lake?

A wet stiff with an accordian, or a drowned master, depending on the player.

Boozoo Chavis
Clifton Chenier
Zachary Richard
The guy who fronts Sixteen Horsepower.

Those are NOT the stiffs.
Absomphe
How about Frankie Yankovic? dev.gif
Lord Stanley
And a certain member of our local Mafia.
Nebmaatre
QUOTE (Billynorm @ May 14 2004, 10:11 AM)
Hello & welcome!

What I listen to:
Miles Davis, the Orb, Erik Satie, Claude Debussy, Kate Bush, Richard Thompson.

What I don't listen to:
Anything with yodelling in it.

abs-cheers.gif

Saw Thompson at Cropredy year before last, seem to recall that evening being a bit green round the edges...

I'm new here... I was expecting 'Blood Axis' from every corner ;-)

Listen to all sorts of nonsense but think no 1. absintheglass-glow2.gif album for imbibing to is Coil's 'Musick to play in the dark vol. 1', its held that position in my heart for several years without ever falling from favour. Anyone concur?

Nebmaatre x
Lord Stanley
If you really want the answer to your question look here...

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?ac...ct=ST&f=2&t=469
G&C
Indeed!
louchednparadise
Right now whilst I sip a new HG sample absintheglass-glow2.gif : DI.FM's heavy trance channel w00t2.gif
thegreenimp
Edison Cylinders 2 min wax, & 4 min Blue
Amberols.........78's, and the sound of my Boxer barking.
deam
QUOTE (Nebmaatre @ May 14 2004, 04:13 PM)
...no 1.  album for imbibing to is Coil's 'Musick to play in the dark vol. 1', its held that position in my heart for several years without ever falling from favour. Anyone concur?

Though not my favorite Coil album (Love's Secret Domain holds that position) Musick to play in the dark vol. 1 is still a fantastic choice.
Perruche_verte
Lately I just stare at the wall while I drink and listen to the air conditioner fan.
G&C
My recent fav is the screaming noise the dying hard drive in my computer is making whilst I browse this forum.
Nebmaatre
Read the linked thread... BA & LJDP 'Absinthe' as expected... L S Domain is nothing like as good ;-) Musick 1+2 are as good as it gets from that quarter.
Void
QUOTE (Perruche_verte @ May 15 2004, 04:54 AM)
Lately I just stare at the wall while I drink and listen to the air conditioner fan.

Strange, so do I. Its actually very relaxing...

Conju
Thank you LS! I was searching for that! Ahh memories....

I miss felis.
AndrewT
I usually listen to Bach, Ravel, Shostakovich, or classically trained Japanese indies bands. Sometimes Portuguese Fado as well.
Abnorman
One more thing: TUVA RULES!!!

user posted image
Gertz
Balkan music, such as found on the soundtracks of Emir Kusturica films.

Rembetika - greek underworld songs from the twenties and thirties about love, hashish, jail, ouzo and getting beaten up by the police.

Latest gem discovered: the norwegian band Kaizers Orchestra. Sort of a blend of above mentioned balkan music, Tom Waits and Brecht/Weill songs.

Accordeons are found in all of that.
101north
I enjoy drinking EM68 and listening to :

TooL
A Perfect Circle
Rasputina (great cello Band, that little something different done with style and cunning humor)
Gary Numan
Vast
gODHEAD
Tomahawk
NiN

to name a few.

But silence, and a blank wall is great also abs-cheers.gif
Or relaxing in the bath with a glass of kubler / sapin.

absintheglass-glow2.gif
Adam-V
I've found that assorted piano trios and nocturnes always seem to add to the romance of imbibing. Alternatively, if I'm feeling particularly self-indulgent, the minimalist dark ambience of Fractured Symmetry works quite nicely too. wink.gif
dangerousangels
Everything from Coil is great. Period. Not one of their albums is really "better" than the other. They all kick ass!
Loves Secret Domain,Horse Rotorvator and the Hellraiser stuff (now on Un Natural History pt. 2)are my personal favorites.

While drinking absinthe, we like acid jazz.
9 lazy 9
Funki Porcini
Kruder and the Dorfmeister
LTJ Bukem.
Up Bustle and Out
and for old school flava: Miles Davis.
This is what we would go to listen to first.
But.....
We also enjoy things like our collection of Radiohead and TOOL, live at Red Rocks. The new Perfect Circle is great music to drink to as well.
MMMM. Absinthe and live music where I don't have to fight other drunks or overly intoxicated fools in tight spaces.
See I went to those shows quite sober. Now, in the safety of my own home I can get a little tipsy and toke a little somthin-somthin with no fear of a mosh pit breaking out on top of my head while I'm trying to enjoy the show.
Rock and Roll baby!!!
verbal_kraze
I like to listen to my wife ask me over and over again,
"Are you going to drink that every night?"
or
"You're such a nerd"
or
"it's not that cool"
or
"that stuff is gross"
or
"I hate the smell of that shit"
Hiram
Beautiful!!
Absomphe
Sounds familiar.
MrsAbsomphe
Nice. Very freaking nice.

I'll remember that.

evill.gif
traineraz
VK, do you then give her half a shot of whiskey and watch her pass out? w00t2.gif
cthopper
I agree that all Coil is good Coil, but my personal favorites come from the Moons Milk EP's. Desperately trying to find Time Machines....
verbal_kraze
Something like that, although it takes a little more than a half a shot. At Lclf she polished off almost half a bottle of Vodka in an hour before that happened. That was some crazy stuff there, she was actin' a damn fool. Sure was funny though.
Absomphe
QUOTE (conju @ May 17 2004, 08:45 AM)
Thank you LS! I was searching for that! Ahh memories....

I miss felis.

Me too, big guy! looking-up.gif looking-up.gif looking-up.gif
Talus
What happened while I was away? What happened to Felis?
I obviously lack the dedication of a true imbider.
Conju
Nobody really knows, last I heard she was spotted over at the lounge, and that was a while ago. Odds are she may be under a new name because somebody scared her off with all of that online wife crap. But I'm not pointing the finger and I digress. Felis was one of the very few to hold my hand and show me around when I first joined. That and her nonsensical stylings of comedy and poetry were soothing music to my ears.

And thats the story. I wish she would grace us with her prescence again so I could thank her.
Absomphe
It's so nice to see that you're not pointing any fingers, wiseass!!! winnie.gif dev.gif abs-cheers.gif
Conju
Hey, you spoke up, I never said anything about you. Well maybe I did. harhar.gif Cheap shot.
Absomphe
One wife's all a sane man ever needs, Conju.

(Don't even THINK about it...) biggrin.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(cthopper @ May 23 2004, 12:29 PM) *

Desperately trying to find Time Machines….

What has this got to do with absinthe???!!!
Marc
Fuck! DRX hacked WBT's account!
Absomphe
HA!

kaseijin
Lately, the soundtrack to Twin Peaks.

In the past: Air, Zero Seven, Thievery Corporation, Ratatat, Yasume, Tindersticks, Billie Holiday, Octopus Project, Skip James…

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.