Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Pernod up for grabs
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
thesandlappers
Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well. First off i would like to thank you all. I had no idea what i found until i read this forum. Thank you for your research and time. I've found something that may interest you. I've recently started attending estate sales and auctions and selling items on e-bay. I have in my possession bottle of Pre-Ban Edouard Pernod absinthe. I don't think ebay is worthy of this one. It is unopened. The level is 1/8" below the seal. The lable is in poor but legible condition. I would post pics but the files are too large and i don't know how to shrink them. I will email them to you if you like. If you are interested or have any questions you may email me at thesandlappers@yahoo.com.

Thank you again,
thesandlappers
Touch-money
Well if you are just giving it away then sign me up wink.gif abs-cheers.gif
Grim
Welcome, and what an interesting first post! How, if I may, did you first become engaged in absinthe? Or was this something you just stumbled upon that urged a spontaneous and equally...fitting interest?
Icarus
I sent off an email... I'll shrink the pics and post them if they're sent to me. absintheglass-glow2.gif
Touch-money
Yes, I too sent an email this is pretty damn interesting. Hope they get back to us soon. I wonder how they plan to distribute this?
Icarus
A picture is worth a thousand posts...
Absomphe
This should be good... wink.gif
Hiram
I'll give you a hundred bucks for it.
Hiram
Okay, I'll make it two hundred. You drive a hard bargain.
thesandlappers
Hello again,

To monsieurgrim - A friend of a friend passed on and his wife decided to clean out his wine cellar. When i read the bottle i recognized the word absinthe from bartending school. I knew of the ban but that was about it. the rest of my knowledge came from my newfound friends here at the forum. I have this item along with a bottle of 1928 Heidsieck Champagne (pre Piper.....Talk about Rare!!) and several other vintage wines.

Were working on the pics......should be up soon.

Thanks
thesandlappers
Hi Icarus,

I overloaded your email...........the files are really large
Touch-money
QUOTE (Hiram @ Jun 9 2004, 07:27 PM)
Okay, I'll make it two hundred. You drive a hard bargain.

Damn you Hiram driving up the price on me! It's all good though you desirve this much more than I do.
Icarus
Yeah, big files...

Pic 1
Icarus
Pic #2

Send me a couple more... I cleared up some space.
Icarus
Sorry, the scotch tape makes it almost worthless. I'll trade you a bottle of Huquet for it wacko.gif

-->Make sure you include a pic of the cork, the base, and some better lit pic of the contents.
Touch-money
QUOTE (Icarus @ Jun 9 2004, 07:49 PM)
Sorry, the scotch tape makes it almost worthless. I'll trade you a bottle of Huquet for it wacko.gif

HAHA! Yeah I was looking at that thinking WTF!? Still if whats inside in genuine then the tape can be over looked.
thesandlappers
Sent 2 more.....that all i took. If you want more let me know.
thank you for your help
Icarus
Try for a better focus on the cork.
Icarus
...better focus on all. Puleaze!
Icarus
Take some pics in the daylight.

Cork
Contents
Base
Seal
Icarus
This one's funny.

Just wait for some real light... OK?
thesandlappers
Thats Pre-1900's scotch tape..........thats another $200 at least
Icarus
If it was, it'd be worth more than $200.

Who invented scotch tape?
thesandlappers
no kidding
Head_prosthesis
Note: We are not responsible for any transactions
that may result from this thread and we would prefer
that people do not indulge in commerce on the forum.

------------------------------
Do so at your own risk.
------------------------------
Icarus
...and I'm in no way connected to this, other than my willingness to provide pics.

Sorry if I overstepped myself frusty.gif
thesandlappers
Point taken...........any further contact with me involving this item can be done via email.

Thank you
W.Farrell
Regardless, I just love seeing pics of vintage bottles :)
le Gimp
I love just knowing that the stuf still surfaces occasionally.
Conju
1885 huh? Interesting.
hartsmar
The question remains, what ever happened to that bottle? Anyone here who heard anything more?

I got a mail from the guy with some photos, and then... nothing.

le Gimp
Maybe he dropped it while taking it outside to shoot some pictures in the sunlight.
hartsmar
LARS!.gif
G&C
het.gif
Jack Batemaster
It smelled kinda musty so I rectified the contents to make some "wine spirits." Nice bottle, though. And at a good price too.
Grim
I call "bullshit..."

but if I'm wrong, could you please mail me a snip of the vintage tape?
I_B_Puffin
Scotch tape is the best without a doubt. None of the cheap substitutes age as well.

What did happen to the bottle?
Touch-money
I never recieved another email from him. The last email I recieved from him said he would be in touch but that was back in June

Hi touch money,

Honestly.....i don't know what i'm gonna do. i think i would like to sell the bottle as a whole. I'm sending pics to a forum member for them to post. I'll be in touch.
James
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE (Touch-my-Monkey!)
...touch...
Hi touch money,

... touch...
James
hartsmar
touché
Grim
<bump> Oops... sorry, didn't see this laying here.
celticgent
Head_prosthesis
Curious?
Fredie
I'm curious if a person could make more selling such a bottle intact or by withdrawing and selling off "tasting samples"

But I guess the only ones who could answer such a question would be David or our new friend Jim.....

(or Ted, or Harts, or Head, or...) wacko.gif
Not sure who else has done it.
Oxygenee
A bottle with perfect labels is always worth much more intact than decanted into samples. For a bottle with damaged or partly missing labels (but still a good seal) the price comparision still generally favours the intact bottle, but by a much smaller percentage.

My main reason for making some bottles available in samples is to widen the group of people who've had the opportunity to taste pre-ban absinthe, and to stimulate discussion here and elsewhere. It's a hassle to decant, pack and ship 20 or 25 bottles separately, but there's a long term benefit both to the absinthe community in general, and to me specifically - a percentage of people who try a sample will one day be in the market for a sealed bottle, or another significant absinthe antique. That's the theory of it anyway....
Fredie

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Feb 3 2006, 09:46 AM) *

My main reason for making some bottles available in samples is to widen the group of people who've had the opportunity to taste pre-ban absinthe, and to stimulate discussion here and elsewhere.....

....and those of us without a spare few grand lying around for a vintage P-Fils THANK you David..... abs-cheers.gif

Now, Wanna buy a tasting sample of Verdelette off me for $200! chickawow.gif

NO WAIT! I think I may have Stolen it..... Make that $500!!! pirate2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.